"Stump the Yankee"
10-29-2012, 11:48 AM
RE: "Stump the Yankee"
Should we stick a fork in this thing yet, Roger?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm sure this is not the answer, and the wind howling outside has me thinking goofy (don't say as usual!); but most people use the bathroom facilities before leaving for the theatre. Sounds gross, but what about a chamber pot - the equivalent of today's toilet?

Or, a toothbrush or hair brush?
10-29-2012, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2012 12:13 PM by J. Beckert.)
No to all three, Laurie. Here's a kicker - I'd bet you've seen this thing. I know you've been to where it's kept.

Looks like there's going to be more long Rebel faces around here than there were when General Lee walked into Wilmer Mclean's parlor with his hat in his hand. You know why?

WE HAVE A YANKEE VICTORY!!!!!

Excuse me a minute while I update the scoreboard....

Rebels 4
Yankee 2

There. That's better. How refreshing this was! Here's the answer.

While taking the tour at RTL's palatial estate in Manchester, Vt. several years ago, the tour guide stopped in front of a wall mirror with a gilded frame. He said RTL removed it from the White House as he was sure his father would have looked in that mirror just before his departure. If you haven't actually seen it, I don't think you would know that.

Looks like I'm going to have to pull another one out of the weird stuff file. That worked out well for me. I have to go do the Yankee Happy Dance now. I'll be back after the storm!

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
10-29-2012, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2012 12:14 PM by L Verge.)
Actually the first thing that came to my mind when you first posted this sucker was Lincoln's inkwell. I have seen it, along with some of Mary Lincoln's jewelry, several times thanks to gracious keepers of the treasures at the Library of Congress. However, the inkwell is not something we all have around the house, so I scratched it off the computer.

Jim Garrett, where are you? Ford's Theatre must be the repository for this elusive thing. With your Confederate background, we have to beat this Yankee.

P.S. That inkwell is so gorgeous, I was tempted to grab it and run - in the days when I could run! The Mary jewels are those gorgeous seed pearl necklace and bracelet.

Jim, another place to search would be the facility at Lanham.
10-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Too late, Laurie. Please refer to post # 138......

10-29-2012, 12:24 PM
That's one less Yuengling you get at the March conference. Nah, I'm not a sore loser... Well, maybe when the Rebs are really losing!
10-29-2012, 12:26 PM
I know you've been to Hildene before, Laurie. You had to have been given a tour and seen this, no?

10-29-2012, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2012 06:28 PM by L Verge.)
Actually, the only time that I was at Hildene was for a conference about a dozen years ago. We visited Hildene for a reception and dinner, and I don't believe that we had an actual tour.

I have to admit that my mind was elsewhere also. We had no sooner gotten to Manchester than I received a phone call from my daughter. My administrative aide's son and his girlfriend had been attacked by a gang, severely beaten, dumped on the side of the road, and then shot execution style.

If it weren't for the absolute beauty of the town and Hildene, I would probably have lost it.
10-30-2012, 11:49 AM
(10-29-2012 01:54 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Actually, the only time that I was at Hildene was for a conference about a dozen years ago. We visited Hildene for a reception and dinner, and I don't believe that we had an actual tour.

I have to admit that my mind was elsewhere also. We had no sooner gotten to Manchester than I received a phone call from my daughter. My administrative aide's son and his girlfriend had been attacked by a gang, severely beaten, dumped on the side of the road, and then shot execution style.

If it weren't for the absolute beautify of the town and Hildene, I would probably have lost it.

Oh my God, how awful!!!
11-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Rebels 4
Yankee 2
Good afternoon and welcome back to another installment of "Stump the Yankee"

I'd like to take a moment, if I may, to recap the events of the last round for any Lincoln Discussion Symposium members who may have missed it.

THE REBELS GOT A BEATING!!

O.K. - Now that I've got that out of my system - on to the question.

Lincoln was a teetotaler his whole life. He avoided alcohol as he said it made him feel "flabby and undone". Except for an occasional glass of ale for an upset stomach, he never drank. On one occasion Lincoln and a friend toasted a special event in a way you'd never think of as a traditional way to toast something. What was the event and how did they toast it?

11-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Lincoln christened Lincoln, Illinois, with watermelon juice?
11-11-2012, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2012 03:00 PM by J. Beckert.)
Uh.....yeah...that's it.

Rebels 5
Yankee 2

(I forgot he runs a Lincoln research site, too. Dang it!)

Here's the watermelon story - http://www.lincolnillinois.com/AboutUs_History.aspx

12-21-2012, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2012 12:00 AM by J. Beckert.)
Rebels 5
Yankee 2

Good evening and welcome back to a very special installment of "Stump the Yankee". It's the first annual CHRISTMAS edition! MERRY CHRISTMAS, you Rebels!

I've been thinking all week - "What can I give my Rebel friends for Christmas?" Well, after the last humiliating beating I suffered here, in spite of the spirit of the season, the only thing I could come up with was to try and return the favor to you biscuit and gravy eaters. We'll put the mistletoe up later. Let's get started.

Items Lincoln signed or wrote shortly before his death are treasured relics. A while back, a Lincoln researcher made headlines when he was discovered to have altered a pardon Lincoln wrote by changing the date to April 14th., 1865. The card written to Congressman George Ashmun shortly before he departed for Ford's was probably the last note he wrote. However, within the last few years, an item has surfaced that has been in storage for many years. Written very close to his death, this item was boxed up and forgotten about for years. What the heck is it?

12-22-2012, 12:09 AM
A check Lincoln wrote to himself the day before the assassination for $800. It was found in a bank vault in Ohio.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
12-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Which American was the only General to receive the highest promoton in the U.S. Army (during his lifetime) in military rank?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user