"Stump the Yankee"
09-08-2012, 02:59 PM
RE: "Stump the Yankee"
Actually, I use it more in the sense of, "You poah thing. I-ah feel so sorry foah you; but you are soah wrong!" We Southron ladies would nevah do anything evil and undah-handed. Don't y'all know that?

Of course, I have watched GWTW at least six times. I still love Scarlett, but would love to slap Melanie silly! I don't like that much syrup on my pancakes even...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2012, 05:13 PM
That's how you sound on the phone!! I saw Betty on TV a few times. She talks funny too!!

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
09-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Come on, Joe. You know that "y'all" rolls off the lips a lot easier than "youse guys!"
09-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Ah a'gree, Laurie! Ya'll does soun ah lot bedda thin'at!

So - ah tawk funny huh? HA! Ah think ah soun rat no'mal - fo ah Dixie gal that is!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Joseph, you should know better than to get the two of us started!
09-08-2012, 09:51 PM
One of my lit professors told me years ago that I wrote good dialect -

We had to write a sequel to Grapes of Wrath -- I wrote it entirely in dialect as if Joad were speaking -- and the professor went ape over it! I had a blast writing that thing....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-08-2012, 09:53 PM
It's funny. Keep going!

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
10-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Let's revive "Stump the Yankee!"

Speaking of the disbanding of the Confederate Army, who wrote the following words:

"...the rank and file of the disbanded army faced their hard situation like the brave men they were, and joined patiently in one of the greatest tasks in the history of the world-the Reconstruction of the South. The story of the self-control of these disbanded men in the situation in which they found themselves when they reached their homes, of their courage, their patience, their effort, forms one of the finest chapters of heroism in the history of the United States."

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2012, 06:00 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2012 06:00 AM by MaddieM.)
(09-08-2012 02:59 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Actually, I use it more in the sense of, "You poah thing. I-ah feel so sorry foah you; but you are soah wrong!" We Southron ladies would nevah do anything evil and undah-handed. Don't y'all know that?

Of course, I have watched GWTW at least six times. I still love Scarlett, but would love to slap Melanie silly! I don't like that much syrup on my pancakes even...

If you doan care whut folks says about dis fambly I does! I is tol' ya and tol' ya that you can always tell a lady by the way she eats in front of folks like a bird and I ain`t aimin` for you to go to Mr. John Wilkes and eat like a fiel' hand and gobble like a hawg! [Image: roflmao.gif]

Mammy Rocks!!

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
10-05-2012, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2012 06:57 AM by BettyO.)
"Does yo know ah died har'ed wo'man? Ah ain't ne'r seen har da collar in ma lif!"

Mammy does indeed rock! End of dialect lesson.... Big Grin

10-05-2012, 07:37 AM
First clue: the writer was female.

Bill Nash
10-05-2012, 08:46 AM
I have no idea, but when you mentioned that clue my first guess will be Ida Tarbell.
10-05-2012, 09:01 AM
After what MaddieM and BettyO wrote, I'll say Margret MItchell

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Roger-great guess-because you are absolutely correct! Ida Tarbell wrote an article "Disbanding The Confederate Army" for McClures Magazine in 1901. She had also written a companion piece "Disbanding of the Union Army."

Bill Nash
10-05-2012, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2012 09:16 AM by RJNorton.)
Bill, some guesses work out. I am the same guy who guessed James Garfield was the FIRST person to die in the same room Willie Lincoln died in. I'll never live that down!!