"Stump the Yankee"
07-30-2012, 09:13 AM
RE: "Stump the Yankee"
Very good and you are correct, Bill, but what credible person documented seeing them?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2012, 12:49 PM
I bet the answer is in David McCullough's The Greater Journey, and I lent my copy to someone else.

If I'm right, do I get a fourth of the prize?
07-30-2012, 01:15 PM
All right, you obviously do not credit what Bullard did, the journal of actor Edmund Got, nor anything said by Charles Albert Fechter. The only thing is that Got wrote the tip took place in 1865 and Bullard says that he was mistaken and it took place in 1863.
07-30-2012, 02:05 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012 02:14 PM by J. Beckert.)
You nailed it, Bill! I was looking for a name for a first person account. Got works as would actress Charlotte Cushman who mentioned seeing both Edwin and John Wilkes in Paris in a letter to her niece. Here's a link to the story. Some very strange behavior by Booth was observed.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-8KZAj6...S5MTop3&si

When you're done shoeing the mules, send me your address and I'll send out the prize. Congratulations!

Rebs 3
Yankee (ahem) 1

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
07-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Way to go, Bill. Note the score (through no help from me).
07-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Save your Confederate money, boys (and girls), the South will rise again!

My home in exile is:

2917 E. Elm St.

Tucson, AZ 85716
07-30-2012, 04:30 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012 04:35 PM by RJNorton.)
Kudos, Bill. You are the man.

Also, kudos to you, Joe. As I write this, your "Stump the Yankee" column has 1,524 views in the Trivia category. This is almost double any other Trivia category.
07-30-2012, 09:29 PM
That was a was a massacre. Time for some more homework I guess. I thought that one would last a while. Y'all wait 'til next time.......

Thanks, Roger. The site is working out very well for you. Congrats on that.

"Note the score" she says........Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

I'll send that out tomorrow, Bill.

09-06-2012, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2012 10:34 PM by J. Beckert.)
Scoreboard: Rebs 3
Yankee (ahem) 1

Good evening and welcome back to what I'm sure you'll agree is a long overdue installment of "Stump the Yankee". I'm sure by now a lot of you have been asking yourselves - "Hey - where's that **** Yankee been?" If the truth be told, I've been cooking up a STY question that can't be Googled, there's no picture of and should get me back on the road to evening the score. Good luck with this one, you rebellious violators of the Sedition Act.

Items associated with Lincoln's assassination quickly became sought after momentos. Snippets of the blood soaked towels, the curtains of the Presidential box, Lincoln's clothes, etc., were quickly grabbed up. His shirt was divided into pieces that the men who bore his body back to the White House were rewarded with. But what happened to his socks? There's a story there and if you guess it, you will have "Stumped the Yankee".

This installment's prize is yet to be determined as access to the STY Prize Vault won't happen for a few days. Good luck!

09-07-2012, 05:43 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2012 07:15 AM by RJNorton.)
First, welcome back to one of the most popular columns on the Internet. As many of you know, Joe just retired as a State Trooper. Joe, not only do I thank you for your years of service, but I also wish you a wonderful retirement.

I have absolutly no clue on this question, but I want to assure everyone that the Correct Answer Review Board, asleep at the wheel the other day, is alive and kickin'. Whoever gets this right WILL receive a prize. Otherwise, the winner is entitled to lodge a formal complaint with the Correct Answer Review Board (CARB).
09-07-2012, 06:59 AM
I'm SO GLAD that "Stump the Yankee" is back! I've missed him!! Big Grin

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Maybe he did not wear any.
09-07-2012, 08:56 AM
I'm trying to remember something about them being left in the death room at Petersen's and one of the boarders (not Clarke) taking them. Am I even close?
09-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Did Mary Lincoln sell them in her "old clothes" sale?
09-07-2012, 12:56 PM
No need to convene the Correct Answer Review Board yet. All submitted answers are incorrect. Laurie's on the right track. (Sort of)