RE: "Stump the Yankee"
That ought to do it, Joe!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Rebels 11
Yankee 3

Good morning and welcome back to another installment of "Stump the Yankee".

Despite a dismal string of very poor attempts here, I remain undaunted in my never ending quest to spank the Rebels. I am very confident that this question will have my Rebel friends steppin' and fetchin' like their heads were on fire and their backsides was catchin'! Let's get to it.

As the good readers of this forum are well acquainted with, much evidence was left behind that linked people to the conspirators. A letter in a trunk. A boot under a bed. A knife in the street. But a nightshirt? Someone left behind a nightshirt that was a link to a conspirator. Keep in mind this person was never charged with a crime and it had no bearing on the assassination. Just a link this person didn't want revealed.

Who was this careless sap?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
05-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Is this the nightshirt which is on display at Surratt House which was worn by Davey Herold?

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-23-2013, 09:25 AM
No it is not, my red headed She Rebel friend. Hey - thanks for the Virginia peanuts, by the way! They're great! Just like my chances of winning this round.....

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
05-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Could it be the nightshirt worn by Atzerodt and used to implicate Hartmann Richter?

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-23-2013, 09:39 AM
No, it couldn't. I'd give up if I were you guys. I got a ringer here.

05-23-2013, 10:35 AM
OMG, Betty - Yankee Joe might win this round because I have no idea since it is not related to the assassination. However, I have to sit through another boring meeting this afternoon; so I'll spend my time thinking of possibilities.

Who was the general in the West who never surrendered? I must be related to him, 'cause I refuse to surrender to this Yankee and let him win a round. Rally 'round the Rebs, my Southern friends --- puleeze!
05-23-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm sidetracked on more Lew Powell research right now - but I'm gonna keep busy on this!

05-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Forget about the General who never surrendered and start thinking about surrendering yourself. You Rebel. This is a slam dunk for me. I worked all night and I stayed up just to see if you'd chime in. Now get lost and enjoy your boring meeting. I'm winning this one.

Oh. One more thing. Here's an emoticon for you. Heart

05-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Hahahahahaha!!!!

Big Grin

05-23-2013, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2013 11:52 AM by Laurie Verge.)
Okay, a typical Yankee showing his colors by gloating! And he knows I hate emoticons... At least it's not a smiley face, but he only loves me when he's winning.

Did Booth perhaps leave a nightshirt behind at one of his ladies' love nests, so the story could not be revealed?

Betty, did Lew leave one behind at the Herndon House or the Bransons' or with Betty Meredith? The thought of Atzerodt even in a nightshirt turns my stomach, but what about him?

Thinking caps, people, thinking caps!
05-23-2013, 12:45 PM
When Booth visited John Mathews when the latter was staying at the Petersen House, did he sleep over? Could Mathews have a nightshirt that belonged to Booth?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-23-2013, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2013 01:01 PM by BettyO.)
As far as I know Lew Powell didn't even own a night shirt while working with JWB and the conspirators - could have, but most soldiers slept in their drawers - which is probably what Powell did. Weichmann seen him unpack his carpetbag upon his 2nd visit to the Surratt Boarding House and claimed that he had three linen shirts and a linen coat - now, it could be that one of the linen shirts was a night shirt; but we simply don't know. There is no record that Lew left anything behind in either Branson House or Herndon House - and all he left behind in Northern Virginia was a diary and photograph (still looking for those!) and several horses branded "US" which he captured while with Mosby.....

So, no - it's not Lew Powell.....

05-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Lieutenant W. R. Keim?
05-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Betty, could Powell have left behind his carpetbag in Mary Surratt's boarding house after he checked out of the Herndon House on April 14? Would the detectives have known it was his when they searched the boarding house on April 17?