Statue Trivia
09-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Statue Trivia
Thanks to Joe Beckert for submitting this photo as a statue trivia question. Where is this statue located?

[Image: lincolnstatue71.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2015, 03:17 PM
RE: Statue Trivia
New Jersey!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Brilliant, Bill! That is correct. It is in Lincoln Park in Jersey City. The statue was dedicated on June 30, 1930. The sculptor was James Earle Frasier. It's titled "Lincoln The Mystic."

You win very best wishes for wonderful late summer weather in Michigan!
09-03-2015, 04:59 PM
I like the statue- quite different than most- catches Lincoln in a reflective and quiet mood.
We had a rain and hail storm in Detroit a couple of hours ago- wven though the temp was near 90. I was waiting for locusts to follow!

Bill Nash
09-03-2015, 05:19 PM
Kudos, Bill - you are truly an expert on Lincoln statues (I recall you identifying other ones as quickly)!!! How many have you seen? Do you have a favorite one?
I like both, this statue, for the very reason Bill stated, and the photo (neat, Joe, thanks for sharing!) because of the light - it surrounds "Lincoln The Mystic" with a mystical corona!
05-23-2017, 07:29 AM
While on a recent trip to Oregon, I had to visit Lincoln City, a small resort town on the Pacific coast, where I found this statue.

Angela, found the same statue in Salzburg, Austria and posted about it here - http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...l#pid32675
The same statue is also in New Salem.

Ms. Anna Hyatt Hunnington was famous for her equestrian statues. Which might explain why Lincoln is not looking as well as his horse. (Maybe it was just a boring section in the book he was reading). It was first offered to the University of Oregon, but they didn't want to pay the moving cost of $60,000. The town of Lincoln City somehow managed to raise the money so they got the statue.

[Image: statue90.JPG]

[Image: statue91.JPG]

[Image: statue92.JPG]

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
05-23-2017, 12:53 PM
This is a statue of Abraham Lincoln along with a statue of another man. Who is the other man?

[Image: otherman.jpg]
05-23-2017, 03:47 PM
Stephan A Douglass
05-23-2017, 03:58 PM
Bill, Douglas is also what I thought when I first came upon this photo. It is not Douglas.
05-23-2017, 05:10 PM
Hint #1: The man Lincoln is facing is sitting.

Hint #1.5: He is a person who has been mentioned before on this forum.

Hint #1.75: The photo was taken on a college campus.
05-23-2017, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2017 07:06 PM by LincolnMan.)
(05-23-2017 07:29 AM)Gene C Wrote:  While on a recent trip to Oregon, I had to visit Lincoln City, a small resort town on the Pacific coast, where I found this statue.

Angela, found the same statue in Salzburg, Austria and posted about it here - http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...l#pid32675
The same statue is also in New Salem.

Ms. Anna Hyatt Hunnington was famous for her equestrian statues. Which might explain why Lincoln is not looking as well as his horse. (Maybe it was just a boring section in the book he was reading). It was first offered to the University of Oregon, but they didn't want to pay the moving cost of $60,000. The town of Lincoln City somehow managed to raise the money so they got the statue.

[Image: statue90.JPG]

[Image: statue91.JPG]

[Image: statue92.JPG]

And of course this the statue in New Salem. In Michigan the statue is in Midland and in Adrian.

(05-23-2017 05:10 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Hint #1: The man Lincoln is facing is sitting.

Hint #1.5: He is a person who has been mentioned before on this forum.

Hint #1.75: The photo was taken on a college campus.

That is the Lincoln statue at Carthage College in Wisconsin. The seated gentleman is none other than John Hay.
Sidenote: I have been to the grave of John Hay. He is buried in Cleveland in the same cemetery as President Garfield. As important as a man as John Hay was in his life- there is nothing at his grave to denote it. If you didn't know who he was - you would never know he had been anyone special.

Bill Nash
05-23-2017, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2017 07:33 PM by L Verge.)
I am so confused... I was cheating to find the answer while Bill was posting it. However, I stopped to read the history of Carthage College and found that Lincoln served as a trustee during his first year of the Presidency. It appears that the college was then in Illinois, but now it is in Kenosha, Wisconsin? Did they move the state boundaries, or did the college move to a new campus in a neighboring state? I know that it is on Lake Michigan, but that doesn't help.

Here's the website I was looking on - some interesting details: https://www.carthage.edu/about/lincoln-statue/

John Hay has his name attached to the wonderful Hay-Adams Hotel in DC, near the White House. The hotel was created out of the townhomes of Hay and Henry Adams. I have only been as far as the hotel bar, but it was quite nice.

I need to correct my error. I wanted to share this hotel's history with you and will do so here. However, I just learned that the townhomes of Hay and Adams were actually razed in the 1920s when a famous D.C. developer by the name of Wardman bought the properties with the intent of constructing what is now the Hay-Adams Hotel.

EARLY DAYS
Centered in downtown Washington, D.C., The Hay-Adams is one of the city's most famous landmarks. Named for the distinguished residents, John Hay and Henry Adams, our historic hotel is now a popular destination among visitors and Washingtonians.

John Hay served as a personal secretary to President Abraham Lincoln, and later as U.S. Ambassador to the United Kingdom, as well as Secretary of State under both William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt. Henry Adams was a historian and Harvard professor, and the descendant of Presidents John Adams and John Quincy Adams. Both men were accomplished writers.

In 1884, the architect Henry Hobson Richardson designed elaborate, Romanesque homes at the corner of 16th and H Streets for Hay and Adams. The site soon became a bustling scene of intellectual activity. Together with their wives, Clara Hay and Marian Adams, as well as noted geologist Clarence King, Hay and Adams formed a close friendship. The group dubbed themselves "Five of Hearts," and even had custom china and a letterhead made to feature the moniker. For years, the homes served as Washington's leading salons, alive with stimulating discussions about literature, art, science and politics. Famous guests such as Theodore Roosevelt, Mark Twain, Henry James and the sculptor August Saint-Gaudens stopped in from near and far.

Hay died in 1905 and, after Clara died in 1914, ownership of the home was passed to their daughter Alice Wadsworth and her husband, Senator James Wadsworth. After Adams died in 1918, the Wadsworths purchased the property and leased it to the Brazilian Embassy.

FROM HOME TO HOTEL
In 1927, Washington, D.C., developer Harry Wardman bought and razed both homes. He replaced them with the Hay-Adams House, an Italian Renaissance-style, 138-room apartment-hotel design by the architect Mirhan Mesrobian. Opened in 1928, the $900,000 structure featured impressive architectural embellishments such as Doric, Ionic and Corinthian orders, walnut wainscoting, and intricate ceiling treatments featuring Elizabethan and Tudor motifs. Wood paneling from the Hay residence was repurposed in the public space now known as the Hay-Adams Room. Many historic details have been carefully preserved to this day.

Guests were drawn to the hotel by its unparalleled proximity to the White House, Lafayette Square and St. John's Church. The hotel played host to prominent out-of-towners and Washington's elite, including Ethel Barrymore, Amelia Earhart, Sinclair Lewis and Charles Lindbergh. They enjoyed the setting and views, as well as the large suites, kitchens, steam heat, elevators, circulating ice water and, in 1930, Washington, D.C.'s first air-conditioned dining room.
05-24-2017, 04:51 AM
Congratulations Bill and Laurie - you are both winners! Indeed this is Abraham Lincoln with John Hay on the campus of Carthage College in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

Laurie, you posted the same link I was going to use for the story of the statues. There is another link that tells the story of all the moving about in the college's history:

https://www.carthage.edu/about/college-h.../index.php

If I counted correctly the college has moved 4 times.

Bill and Laurie, you have won the right to ring the Old Main Bell after a Carthage athletic team victory!

https://www.carthage.edu/about/college-h...main-bell/
05-24-2017, 09:38 AM
Thank you, Roger; but can we also visit the Kissing Rock? https://www.carthage.edu/about/college-h...sing-rock/
05-24-2017, 09:51 AM
Yes! (As long as Donna Nash approves!)