Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions
01-16-2016, 08:57 PM
RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions
I agree with Eva, it's McClellan and Mary was right, he was a humbug. He was not "a hard usually mint-flavored candy."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/humbug
Merriam‑Webster
Full Definition of humbug. 1 a : something designed to deceive and mislead b : a willfully false, deceptive, or insincere person. 2 : an attitude or spirit of pretense and deception. 3 : nonsense, drivel. 4 British : a hard usually mint-flavored candy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2016, 09:50 PM
Don't know if Mary was referring to McClellan, but may we transfer the above full definition of "humbug" over to the current ramblings on The Legend of JWB? All except #4 seem to apply to the drivel that we are experiencing there. In fact, I just used that word in a posting there about five minutes ago...
01-16-2016, 10:13 PM
(01-16-2016 09:50 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Don't know if Mary was referring to McClellan, but may we transfer the above full definition of "humbug" over to the current ramblings on The Legend of JWB? All except #4 seem to apply to the drivel that we are experiencing there. In fact, I just used that word in a posting there about five minutes ago...

Good word and very appropriate in your context.
01-17-2016, 06:04 AM
Excellent, Eva and Anita! Mary made this remark after McClellan was named General-in-Chief. Abraham asked why she felt McClellan was a humbug, and she replied, "Because he talks so much and does so little. If I had the power I would very soon take off his head, and put some energetic man in his place."

You both win best wishes for a wonderful day!
01-17-2016, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2016 07:59 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Thanks, Roger!

There's a nice humbug - story about George Washington Carver, whom, born into slavery in Missouri in 1864, the Time Magazine in 1941 called "the greatest Negro scientist alive".
Absolutely worth reading about this man's life and achievements:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W...ton_Carver

The following story is not in the Wiki article:

Carver was known for excellent expertise on all animal species. Once his students wanted to cheat and poke fun with him and assembled and "mounted" a "new" insect species from different existing ones. Then they asked him what this one could be. After a look at the "unknown specimen" he asked: "Did it hum?" The students affirmed. "Then it's a hum-bug," said Carver.

BTW - this guy is Sherlock Humbug in the German the German Sesame Street:

03-27-2016, 08:18 AM
A newspaper once reported about Mary receiving a gift "richly silver plated and ornamented with inlaid pearl and enamel...worthy the possession of a duchess, and indeed...the English Duchess of Sutherland, and the Russian Duchess of Constantine" received the same.

What was the gift?
03-27-2016, 09:11 AM
Have no idea. This does not really sound like a purse, but I cannot think of what it might be. But I'll say a kind of large and heavy purse?
03-27-2016, 09:53 AM
This is a very good idea, Roger, as Mary did have a gold plated purse that looks heavy:

...but the gift was not a purse.
03-27-2016, 02:52 PM
Glove Box?
Big Grin

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
03-27-2016, 03:13 PM
A hand mirror for her dressing table?
03-27-2016, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2016 03:21 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Very smart and creative guess, Gene. I'm sorry to say it was no storage item of any kind.

Hint #1: It certainly didn't fit into a purse.
Hint #2: It was a functional, practical item, the usage required certain skills.

(03-27-2016 03:13 PM)L Verge Wrote:  A hand mirror for her dressing table?
Excellent idea, Laurie, but not correct either.
03-27-2016, 03:38 PM
(03-27-2016 03:20 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Hint #2: It was a functional, practical item, the usage required certain skills.

Was it used for cooking?
03-27-2016, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2016 04:12 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Another excellent idea, Roger, and quite hot, but it was not for cooking either.
03-27-2016, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2016 07:57 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Another very good idea idea, Gene, but not what she got.

Hint #3: This item is usually not mainly supposed to look decorative, function is the main focus.
Hint #4: The item was for Mary to make something.
03-27-2016, 10:54 PM
If it's not a picture frame, and not for cooking then that eliminates the toaster oven or the Fondue Pot.
Something to do with sewing or needle craft? Scissors or knitting - sewing - embroidery needles?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?