The Meaning of the Gettysburg Address
09-18-2012, 08:49 AM
RE: The Meaning of the Gettysburg Address
Dear Bill
Many thanks for the book advice.

The Nichols book was the first "big" book I ever read about the coming of the Civil War and I have been hooked ever since. I want to read Bestor.

Dred Scott repudiated both Lincoln and Douglas. C.J Taney accepted the Southern Rights tenets you have so excellently expressed:the extraterritoriality of slavery and the inability of any political entity other than a state to abolish slavery.

Lincoln believed that Congress had the right to and should prohibit slavery in the territories. Douglas believed that a territorial legislature at any time and independent of any state making process could legalize or prohibit slavery.

In creating Kansas-Nebraska the Northern and southern wings of the Democracy had very different conceptions of the issues described above and agreed to hide them. Douglas enjoyed the the support of many Southern Democrats at the Democratic Convention in 1856 and was careful not to reveal his true feelings about his conception of Popular Sovereignty.

At Freeport Lincoln's questions put Douglas in the position of having to antagonize someone. If he agreed with the Southern rights school, he would not be reelected to the Senate.If Douglas said what he truly believed,he would antagonize the South. Douglas had already earned Southern odium by leading the revolt against the fraudulent Lecompton Constitution which would have foisted slavery upon Kansas.
Tom
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2012, 11:39 AM
From: The Gettysburg Gospel" by Gabor Boritt comes a this thought that I don't think anyone on this thread touched on:

"Shaded into the background is the other face of the speech, even more important to Americans in 1863-or at any time of great threat-the appeal to the use of force to defend democracy. Americans recognize fully that meaning of the Gettysburg Address when crises come. The understanding can be misused, but it can also give great strength. Lincoln gave a speech with a universal message, but its nationalist face cannot be ignored. And whatever sins may have been committed around the globe in the name of nationalism during the last two centuries, few doubt the justice of a democratic nationalism that means self-preservation. At times that requires force. Lincoln made that clear at Gettysburg." pp. 202-203.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-19-2021, 09:25 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2021 09:25 AM by Gene C.)
This article from today's Fox News

Lincoln's Gettysburg Address offers inspiring message for our cancel culture times
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/lincoln-...john-cribb

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user