What type of dog was Jip (in Wash. City)
08-22-2012, 01:15 PM
What type of dog was Jip (in Wash. City)
I have hear that he was a "mixture / mutt". Any ideas?

Robert Brugler

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2012, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2012 02:22 PM by RJNorton.)
RE: What type of dog was Jip (in Wash. City)
That is an excellent question, Robert. There is a little information here, but I do not know what the source is for that material about Jip. It says it was a friend of Lincoln's, but I don't think I've seen that information in any book I own.
Find all posts by this user
08-22-2012, 02:43 PM
All I can say if Jip was so special, how come there are not photo's of him?
Just asking.

Fido

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
08-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Fido, maybe I am reading too much into your comment, but I thought I noticed some possible jealousy. Jip is no threat to you, Fido. If you asked people about Lincoln's dog's name, 98% of the folks would answer Fido. Don't let Jip get to you, Fido. You will always be first in our hearts.
09-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Fido: you will be interested in this quote I found in The Literary Works of Abraham Lincoln from The Heritage Press:

Abraham Lincoln, July 27, 1848: "A fellow once advertised that he had made a discovery by which he could make a new man out of an old one, and have enough of the stuff left to make a little yellow dog."

So that's how Lincoln got his dogs? Smile

Bill Nash
09-20-2012, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2012 02:58 PM by Gene C.)
That may be how he got "Jip". Maybe that's where the phrase "I've been jipped" came from.

Lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car and come back in an hour to let them out. Which one is not mad and happy to see you?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-20-2012, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2012 03:03 PM by BettyO.)
For those who are curious -- the name "Jip" for a dog was quite popular in the 19th Century. Charles Dicken's character, Dora Spenlow in David Copperfield (whom Copperfield marries) had a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel named "Jip."

Whether Lincoln's dog was named for the popular pup in Copperfield is unknown - but it seems to have been a favorite name.....

[Image: doraspenlowfromdavidcop.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Gene: how would you answer the answer the question you posed about the wife and dog in trunk? Smile

Betty: what a delightful picture! Makes one wish to be there!

"Next stop Willoughby!"-What old TV show is that llne from? The episode had to do with a fellow who was very unhappy with his life and wanted to live in a time that was carefree and simple...

Bill Nash
09-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Bill, "A Stop at Willoughby" was an episode from The Twilight Zone, written by Rod Serling.
09-20-2012, 04:36 PM
(09-20-2012 03:52 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Gene: how would you answer the answer the question you posed about the wife and dog in trunk? Smile

Betty: what a delightful picture! Makes one wish to be there!

"Next stop Willoughby!"-What old TV show is that llne from? The episode had to do with a fellow who was very unhappy with his life and wanted to live in a time that was carefree and simple...

HA! Sounds like ME in my never-ending plan to escape from the Cartoon Network!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Linda-right on the money! And who among us has not felt that way?-like maybe we should have been born at an earlier time?
Betty: Cartoon Network? What's your favorite cartoon?

Bill Nash
09-20-2012, 04:56 PM
The Cartoon Network -- it's my JOB! HA! I haven't watched TV cartoons since I was married and my husband and I used to watch the Simpsons! HA!

However, I did see Puss n' Boots at the theater last fall....

09-20-2012, 07:18 PM
This grandma thought she had died and gone to hell when she had to watch hours of Sponge Bob Square Pants! Betty's job could not be any worse than that torture...
09-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Betty: Are you saying you actually work for the Cartoon Network?

Bill Nash
09-20-2012, 10:44 PM
(09-20-2012 09:44 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Betty: Are you saying you actually work for the Cartoon Network?

No....but it feels like it! Case closed!SleepySleepy