Who is this person?
04-17-2024, 04:10 PM
RE: Who is this person?
(04-17-2024 03:47 PM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  Was it Lincoln's bootmaker? He was a German immigrant. Maybe last name of Kahle or something like that?

Ok. Never mind. I missed Roger's earlier post about it NOT being a bootmaker. Sorry about that.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2024, 04:22 PM
Maybe Francis Carpenter, who painted Lincoln, although he was in a sitting position.
04-17-2024, 06:21 PM
Excellent, Dennis!! Yes, indeed it was Carpenter.

"Mr. Lincoln's height was six feet three and three-quarter inches in his stocking-feet. He stood up, one day, at the right of my large canvas, while I marked his exact height upon it."

SOURCE: p. 217 of "The Inner Life of Abraham Lincoln: Six Months at the White House" by Francis B. Carpenter (University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln, Nebraska, 1995).
05-19-2024, 05:40 PM
Please, no Googling.

Who is this person who played a major role in Carl Sandburg's life and also had a post-death connection to Ida Tarbell?

Best
Rob

[Image: u4vROBUt_t.jpg]

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
05-19-2024, 06:04 PM
Wild guess - Dwight Eisenhower in old age?
05-19-2024, 06:21 PM
There is some resemblance (more so to Edgar Eisenhower than Dwight), but that's not who it is.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Yesterday, 07:36 AM
This person worked in Washington, D.C.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
Yesterday, 10:05 AM
While he assisted other Lincoln authors, he also wrote a book himself. To the best of my knowledge, his name has not been mentioned here very often.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
Yesterday, 11:00 AM
Was he a politician?
Yesterday, 11:14 AM
No Roger, he was not.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Is that the man that walked the escape route to document things? George Townsend?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
Yesterday, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: Yesterday 02:03 PM by Rob Wick.)
Sorry Joe, but it isn't Townsend.

Best
Rob

When Sandburg gave his speech before a joint session of Congress, he stayed at this person's home.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
Yesterday, 05:31 PM
This is a brain twister, Rob. Could it be Oldroyd?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
Yesterday, 05:51 PM
I have no idea ... but I thought that your first hint "This person worked in Washington, D.C."
would have made it easy for US members of this forum

c.f. When a journalist innocently asked Pope John XXIII, "Your Holiness, how many people work in the Vatican?"

He replied, "About half of them.".

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns
Yesterday, 06:21 PM
Joe,

It isn't Oldroyd. This person was born in 1899 and died in 1981. While he was very close to Sandburg, he spoke on Ida Tarbell at Allegheny College, calling her an "Engrafted Angel."

Mike, I think the fact that I didn't say exactly where in Washington he worked probably made it somewhat more opaque.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg