Who is this person?
09-28-2019, 06:02 PM
RE: Who is this person?
Terrific, Eva! I really thought I'd have to give some clues on this one. Archer had a different view of slavery than his son, William Herndon. He called his son "a damned abolitionist pup." Along with Lincoln and 7 others, Archer was part of the Long Nine in the Illinois state legislature.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2019, 04:35 PM
Who is this?

[Image: doihaveaname.jpg]
10-02-2019, 09:47 PM
Was this lady a native of California, but has a thing for the Atlantic?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-02-2019, 11:05 PM
That's bad, Gene, but I agree with you. In fact, I wrote it to you in a letter.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
10-03-2019, 12:12 AM
It's Wilma Minor.
10-03-2019, 05:04 AM
All 3 of you are correct. It is Wilma Francis Minor who said she had letters written by Abraham Lincoln and Ann Rutledge proving the two had a relationship. The problem was that they were all forgeries.

Here is a fraudulent sample of Abraham writing to Ann:

My Beloved Ann:
...I am borrowing Jacks horse to ride over to see you this coming Saturday. cutting my foot prevents my walking. I will be at your pleasure to accompany you to the Sand Ridge taffy-pull. I will be glad to hear your Father's sermon on the Sabbath. I feel unusually lifted with hope of relieving your present worry at an early date and likewise doing myself the best turn of my life. with you my beloved all things are possible. now James kindly promises to deliver into your dear little hands this letter. may the good Lord speed Saturday afternoon.
affectionately A. Lincoln

Here is a fradulent sample of Ann writing to Abraham:

my hart runs over with hapynes when I think yore name. I do not beleave I can find time to rite you a leter every day. stil I no as you say it wood surely improve my spelling and all that... I dreem of yore ... words every nite and long for you by day. I mus git super now. all my hart is ever thine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilma_Frances_Minor
10-03-2019, 11:42 AM
The woman in this picture is our subject. Who is she?

[Image: dK4BgZm.jpg?1]

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
10-03-2019, 01:35 PM
No idea whatsoever. Ruth Painter Randall?
10-03-2019, 02:47 PM
Not a bad guess, Roger, but it's not her.

The woman in question is not a Lincoln scholar or writer, but she knew one.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
10-03-2019, 05:11 PM
Was she married to a Lincoln scholar or writer?
Is that her claim to fame?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-03-2019, 05:18 PM
Gene,

She was.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
10-03-2019, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2019 06:02 PM by Steve.)
It's a wedding photo. The man resembles Albert Beveridge. So, his wife Catherine.
10-03-2019, 07:29 PM
It is Catherine Eddy Beveridge, however that isn't their wedding photo. That was her when she was presented to Czar Nicholas II in 1905. She didn't marry Beveridge until 1907. Good job.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
10-03-2019, 09:05 PM
Rob, (if you've time) I'd be interested in any clues/hints that you might have given and your own pen-picture description of the lady's history.

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns
10-04-2019, 12:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2019 12:08 PM by Rob Wick.)
Mike,

Catherine Eddy Beveridge was born in Chicago in 1881. She came from a well-to-do family. One of the clues I had planned on using was that in 1905 she had been presented before Czar Nicholas II. She met and married Albert J. Beveridge in 1907. This was Beveridge's second marriage as his first wife died in 1900. Catherine's mother and aunt were strongly opposed to the marriage, but she ignored their doubts.

I think Catherine's main role in her husband's work came after he died in 1927. It was she who selected Worthington C. Ford to finish the Lincoln biography. She worked with Houghton Mifflin to make sure the book received reviews in the most noteworthy outlets. She also selected Claude Bowers to be her husband's biographer, and then meticulously oversaw its completion. Later in the 1930s she created the Albert J. Beveridge Prize that the American Historical Association gives out. She lived to be almost 90, dying in 1970. While much of Beveridge's work remained in the public eye on its own merit, Catherine did all she could to keep interest in it alive.

One note. In her Wikipedia page, as well as Albert's, someone has written that when Albert died she wanted his papers to go to Carl Sandburg. Yet neither article mentions a source. I cannot emphasize strongly enough that this did not happen. Beveridge and Sandburg disliked each other. Had Catherine given the papers to Sandburg, that would have been a slap at her husband. It would have been like Catherine giving the papers to Ida Tarbell, whom Beveridge hated with a passion.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg