Who is this person?
12-15-2013, 08:24 PM
RE: Who is this person?
Sorry Roger, but it's not Ford.

Second clue: He was a lawyer.

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Samuel C. Parks ?
12-15-2013, 08:54 PM
He does bear a resemblance to Parks, but it's not him, Anita.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
12-15-2013, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2013 09:38 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Sure not him, wild guess - John T. Stuart with a beard and at old age?
12-15-2013, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2013 09:48 PM by Rob Wick.)
Sorry Eva, but it's not him either.

Best
Rob

Clue Three: He was a strong advocate of Frederick Jackson Turner's theory on the American frontier.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
12-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Abram Bergen ?
12-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Sorry Anita, it's not him.

Clue Four: Think regionally.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
12-16-2013, 06:19 AM
It doesn't look like Louis A. Warren (at least in the photo I've seen), but I'll guess him anyway.
12-16-2013, 09:47 AM
You are on the right path Roger, but it's not Warren.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
12-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Another guess - Frederick Law Olmsted?
12-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Sorry Roger, it's not Olmstead.

Clue Five: He believed that the character of Lincoln was developed during his family's time in a particular region and devoted his remaining years to doing research to substantiate that claim.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
12-16-2013, 11:32 AM
John E. Iglehart.
12-16-2013, 12:08 PM
You got it Roger. Great job! Iglehart and the Southwestern Indiana Historical Society played a major role in overcoming the "stagnant, putrid pool" and "diamond on the dunghill" theories of Lincoln's Indiana years. Through the group's Lincoln Inquiry (hence the opening "Inquiring minds want to know...), Iglehart and others corresponded with Tarbell, Louis Warren, Sandburg, Turner and Beveridge among others. Keith Erekson's book "Everybody's History" is an account of the Lincoln Inquiry and their efforts.

You win a free swim in the "stagnant, putrid pool" followed by a skin treatment at the Southwestern Indiana Dunghill Resort. Taxes may apply.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
12-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Rob, thanks for the introduction to John E. Iglehart. I will pick up Keith Erekson's book "Everybody's History".
12-16-2013, 02:48 PM
I think you'll enjoy it, Anita. It's written in such a way that emphasizes both analysis and narrative.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg