11-18-2013, 06:45 AM
RE: Who is this person?
Charlotte Victorie LeClere Mentelle?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Sorry Eva and Roger.

Hint # 3- The lady in question wrote a novel in 1827 which focused on the differences in lifestyles between Americans living in the North and the South. " It included an entire chapter detailing a Thanksgiving meal celebrated by a farming family in New Hampshire. Central to the feast was a roasted turkey, and several of the side dishes we have now come to associate with a traditional Thanksgiving feast.
11-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Did she per chance explain the difference between "dressing" and "stuffing?" All my life (raised by Southerners), I was told that it is "stuffing" and placed inside the bird and that that is a Southern custom. Now I am being corrected and told that Yankees "stuff" their birds and Southerners "dress" theirs in a separate dish. This is critical information that I need to know before I throw cranberry sauce on someone.
11-18-2013, 09:18 PM
That would be Sarah Hale, who was known as the "mother of Thanksgiving" for her campaign to have the New England-based celebration turned into a national holiday, which it was during the Civil War. The book she wrote in 1827 was called Northwood.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
11-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Ms. "Mary had a little lamb" Hale?
11-18-2013, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2013 09:35 PM by Anita.)
Laurie, This pretty much sums up the consensus on the differences between "dressing and stuffing". "The main difference is that stuffing is "stuffed" into the turkey before it is baked, while dressing is put into a greased pan and baked. The famous cookbook "The Joy of Cooking" says that a mixture is considered stuffing if you cook it inside the bird, and dressing if you cook it in a pan. However, The National Turkey Federation states that the terms are interchangeable. Other differences are in the ingredients choices which vary according to regional locations. Generally southern states in America call a mixture "dressing" while northern states usually call it "stuffing." The theory is that southern states find the word "stuffing" not genteel enough for their liking."
http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/n...-same.html

So now you can be a genteel southern lady and not throw cranberry sauce.

Congrats to Rob and Eva. It is indeed Sarah Hale, known as "The Mother of Thanksgiving." You both win the opportunity to make your very own Sarah Hale's Apple Pudding. See link below.

" In 1846, Sarah began to campaign for a national Thanksgiving holiday. With trouble brewing between the North and South, Sarah believed that a Civil War could be avoided if there was designated holiday in which all Americans could celebrate the blessings of the nation. Her position as editor of Godey’s served as the perfect platform to spread the word of this new holiday that would be celebrated on the last Thursday of November. She featured stories of family gatherings, editorials, and recipes that promoted the New England style of celebrating Thanksgiving. She also wrote numerous letters to the President of the United States and state governors. The holiday was not adopted before the South seceded from the Union in 1861, but this only caused Sarah to increase her efforts, working harder to help bring the nation back together. Just after the Union’s victory in Gettysburg, Sarah finally caught the attention of President Abraham Lincoln, and her efforts were answered. On October 3, 1863, President Lincoln declared that the last Thursday in November would be recognized as a “national day of Thanksgiving,” with an emphasis on the day being celebrated by all Americans, both in the North and the South. Every president since has followed suit."

Read more about this amazing lady at http://thehistorykitchen.com/2012/11/14/...nksgiving/
11-18-2013, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2013 09:43 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
National Turkey Federation? May I ask, does a southern turkey mind if it's stuffed instead of being dressed then?
11-18-2013, 10:04 PM
(11-18-2013 09:40 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  National Turkey Federation? May I ask, does a southern turkey mind if it's stuffed instead of being dressed then?

Eva, It's too late for the turkey to see it as an invasion of privacy!
11-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Since stuffing is cooked inside the bird it picks up a different flavor (both the stuffing and the bird) than if it is cooked outside the bird.
It can make a big difference. But you will have to wait until half-time for a more detailed explanation, and by then it will be too late.

Don't forget breakfast cheese grits.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
11-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Who is this person?

[Image: mrman.jpg]
11-21-2013, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2013 01:30 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
It's sure wrong, but he looks a bit like Horace White.

I withdraw. Archer G. Herndon. (Billy Herndon's father.)
11-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Wow, Eva, you are brilliant. I thought this one would last awhile. Good job - that is indeed Billy Herndon's father.
11-21-2013, 02:01 PM
I hoped it was worth a ticket for that divine concrete park...
11-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Yes, indeed. The Lincoln-Todd Monument is one of the highlights. I am sending you two free tickets.

http://www.thom.org/photos/WIPHfredlincoln.jpg
11-21-2013, 03:57 PM
This truly outclasses any other masterpiece of arts.