"Alabama's ties to the Lincoln Assassination: 3 strange tales"
02-13-2015, 12:31 AM
"Alabama's ties to the Lincoln Assassination: 3 strange tales"
"Did you know at least three Alabamians were arrested in the wake of the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln in 1865? Three men spent time in jail under suspicion of being involved in the murder that shocked the nation."

Clement Claiborne Clay: Huntsville senator jailed for a year
George Washington Gayle: Selma attorney solicits funds to kill Lincoln
Lewis Powell: Baptist minister's son becomes history's most hated would-be assassin

http://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2015/...oln_a.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2015, 04:09 PM
RE: "Alabama's ties to the Lincoln Assassination: 3 strange tales"
Linda, a very interesting article indeed. I wonder if federal records exist related to the evidence against Clement Claiborne Clay. That's a long time to be imprisoned. With the large reward offered it's possible they arrested him and then hoped to be able to build a case. Is there any connection between Clay and Booth or any of the other conspirators?
02-13-2015, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2015 05:20 PM by L Verge.)
Clement Clay is a very "interesting" character in his own right and has always been under suspicion for playing a role in the Lincoln plotting via the Confederate Cabinet. He would fit in perfectly in the European conflicts of the 1800s because he was a revolutionary at heart and thought nothing of "disposing" of opposition leaders who had a tyrannical streak. Wild Bill and Rick Smith have done some studying of Clay, I believe.

Another son of Alabama that could be mentioned (even though not arrested as part of the Lincoln plot) would be Joseph Pinkney [Pink] Parker, who erected a monument to glorify John Wilkes Booth. http://southernhistory.blogspot.com/2011...usual.html
02-13-2015, 05:43 PM
Clement C Clay was part of the Confederate spy system in Canada in 1864. He was sent there to keep an eye on Jacob Thompson, whom Jeff Davis and Judah P Benjamin did not trust monetarily. He generally worked out of St Catharines near Niagara Falls on the Canadian side. I believe that he was one of the Confed Commissioners who met with Lincoln's secy, John Hay, at Niagara Falls to discuss a peace plan. Thompson had served as Secy of the Int during Buchanan's administration and was accused of pocketing funds intended for Indian reservations, hence his bad reputation. He was suspected doing the same with part of the $1.5 million in secret service monies sent to Canada. Clay was arrested and charged with complicity with Booth in planning in the Lincoln assassination. He was held for a year or so and released. He had little to nothing to do with Booth. George Sanders, who fled to Europe, was a more likely target in the conspiracy, but he stayed there long enough to beat the rap. See last my Confederate Heroes, Part IV, section 4.
02-13-2015, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the replies Laurie and Wild Bill. All very complex with spies spying on spies. I can see why Clay would come under suspicion.
Wild Bill I'll check out Confederate Heroes, Part IV, section 4. Thanks.
02-13-2015, 06:26 PM
There are also pieces on Clay in Tidwell, Hall, Gaddy, Come Retribution, and Tidwell, April '65.
02-13-2015, 07:04 PM
(02-13-2015 05:13 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Another son of Alabama that could be mentioned (even though not arrested as part of the Lincoln plot) would be Joseph Pinkney [Pink] Parker, who erected a monument to glorify John Wilkes Booth.

[Image: pink-parker.jpg?w=690&h=905]

Pink Parker was an interesting man indeed...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-14-2015, 02:53 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2015 02:58 AM by Thomas Thorne.)
Clement Clay surrendered to Federal authorities after he was accused of complicity in the assassination,confidently asserting his innocence.

Clay had been a member of the US Senate in the 1850's and he and wife had been pillars of Washington society. I have read accounts of Mrs Clay going to Washington and lobbying for her husband's release where she was cordially received by even Republican Senators and Representatives. They amazed her by their rejection of the Stanton-Holt general conspiracy involving the Confederate government.

How does this square with the unfootnoted Wiki version which says that both Clays were arrested and imprisoned for a year.? Besides contradicting the account cited above, it would be the only instance to my knowledge of a wife of a prominent Confederate official being incarcerated.
Tom
02-14-2015, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2015 01:33 PM by L Verge.)
(02-13-2015 07:04 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  
(02-13-2015 05:13 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Another son of Alabama that could be mentioned (even though not arrested as part of the Lincoln plot) would be Joseph Pinkney [Pink] Parker, who erected a monument to glorify John Wilkes Booth.

[Image: pink-parker.jpg?w=690&h=905]

Pink Parker was an interesting man indeed...

James O. Hall may have been the first of our gang to bring Pink's story to light. He admired the gent.

(02-13-2015 05:13 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Clement Clay is a very "interesting" character in his own right and has always been under suspicion for playing a role in the Lincoln plotting via the Confederate Cabinet. He would fit in perfectly in the European conflicts of the 1800s because he was a revolutionary at heart and thought nothing of "disposing" of opposition leaders who had a tyrannical streak. Wild Bill and Rick Smith have done some studying of Clay, I believe.

Another son of Alabama that could be mentioned (even though not arrested as part of the Lincoln plot) would be Joseph Pinkney [Pink] Parker, who erected a monument to glorify John Wilkes Booth. http://southernhistory.blogspot.com/2011...usual.html

I need to apologize to y'all for a gaff and also to Clement Clay. I erroneously mixed Senator Clay up with George Sanders when I said that Clay thought nothing of "disposing" of heads of state. Mr. Sanders was the fiery revolutionary, not Clay. Clay was involved with the St. Albans Raid endeavor, however.

Clay's wife, Virginia Tunstall Clay-Clopton is an interesting (and good-looking) lady in her own right. Some of you may be familiar with her memoir, A Belle in the Fifties, which describes society and culture in that era. Both her husband and Jefferson Davis were imprisoned for a year in adjoining cells at Fortress Monroe. I found references to both Virginia and Varina Davis making repeated efforts to secure their husbands' release, but never a mention of Mrs. Clay being arrested.
02-19-2015, 10:53 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2015 10:55 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
Virginia Clay is/was indeed an interesting woman in her own right. She was not considered. a great beauty, but men were crazy for her.

Not the least of who was Jefferson Davis himself. I've read excerpts of a few of his letters to her after the Civil War. He seemed passionately in love with her and I got the feeling he would have left Varina for her if he could have.