Tough Tarbell Trivia
12-28-2018, 02:02 PM
RE: Tough Tarbell Trivia
Warren nailed it. Tarbell wrote a feature on Eleanor for the Delineator magazine when Franklin was running for president.

The 2018 prize budget was blown on research costs, so there is no prize, other than a laurel and hardy handshake.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2018, 04:07 PM
That was pure luck, but your gift is greatly appreciated, and in return, I offer you a hearty handclasp (From W.C Fields, The Bank *****)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iisMlRGigIE
01-01-2019, 02:05 PM
I think this one might go a while. Tarbell wrote a series of flattering articles about Benito Mussolini for McCall's Magazine in the 1920s. A few years later she declined to interview Adolf Hitler. My question is this. What early 20th century revolutionary called Tarbell "Aunt Ida."

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
01-01-2019, 02:25 PM
The bit about Mussolini, has me fearing it could be someone dark and sinister, say like a Trotsky type. But I'm going to guess more on side of light and goodness (ie. non-dictatorial) and say, Francisco Madero?
01-01-2019, 02:59 PM
Steve,

Yours is an excellent guess, but incorrect. Thanks for introducing me to someone I was unfamiliar with before this.

One note. Tarbell, like several other American Progressives, saw in Mussolini a positive figure who used the power of the state to improve the life of his people. While I can't say that Tarbell completely lost her admiration for the pre-war Mussolini, I think her eyes were opened to the dangers of fascism with the rise of Hitler, which is, in my opinion, why she declined to interview him.

The best study of this phenomenon is John Patrick Diggins Mussolini and Fascism: The View From America.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
01-01-2019, 04:58 PM
Eugen V. Debs
01-01-2019, 05:19 PM
Good guess Bill, but it's not Debs.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
01-01-2019, 05:54 PM
Karl Marx
01-01-2019, 06:22 PM
Sorry Anita. That's an interesting thought, but it isn't Marx.

Clue. This person and Tarbell briefly worked together.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
01-01-2019, 06:22 PM
I have no idea - Vladimir Lenin?
01-01-2019, 06:23 PM
Not Lenin Roger.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
01-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Bill Haywood?
01-01-2019, 06:47 PM
It wasn't Bill Haywood.

I'll give another clue. Even though this person briefly worked with Tarbell, they were much closer to Lincoln Steffens.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
01-01-2019, 06:58 PM
Mother Jones?
01-01-2019, 07:17 PM
Victoriano Huerta?