Tough Tarbell Trivia
09-21-2012, 10:26 AM
RE: Tough Tarbell Trivia
(09-21-2012 09:04 AM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Sorry Gene, but no.

Best
Rob

Final clue.

The subject of this played a major role in a case involving Joseph Smith Jr.

Best
Rob
Thanks for this last clue--Orville Browning--defended the men accused of killing Joseph Smith. Randall was involved in editing(?) the papers of Browning.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2012, 12:05 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2012 12:06 PM by Rob Wick.)
Close enough, Joe.

In the early 1920s, the daughter of Orville Hickman Browning approached the Illinois State Historical Society with the diaries of her father, who had finished out Stephen A. Douglas's Senate term after Douglas died. Harper and Brothers sent Tarbell a letter asking her if she would look over them and if she would be interested in editing them for publication. After several months negotiation, Harpers and Tarbell were unsuccessful in getting the diaries.

In the mid 1920s, Theodore C. Pease and Randall edited the diaries and published them under the State Historical Society's imprint. Both Pease and Randall edited the first volume while Randall edited the second on his own. Oh, and the clue where Randall published this and had one of his own was a clue that Randall had kept a massive (20 volumes) diary of his own.

The prize budget for Tarbell and Company has been exhausted, although the board of directors has voted you a quart of Standard Oil's finest lubricant. Just go to John D.'s gas station to pick it up.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
09-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Ida Tarbell described this man as a "big, splendid looking person, very fierce and authoritative - knows he's somebody, as he is."

Whom was she talking about?
09-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Without looking it up, based on the description, I would guess S.S. McClure.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
09-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Good try, Rob, but she was not talking about S. S. McClure.
09-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Ward Hill Lamon?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
09-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Logical guess, Joe, but it's not him, either.
09-30-2012, 04:00 PM
OK, just to get it out of the way, it isn't John D. Rockefeller, is it?

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
09-30-2012, 04:03 PM
One more stab at it - Judge David Davis

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
09-30-2012, 04:04 PM
(09-30-2012 04:00 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  OK, just to get it out of the way, it isn't John D. Rockefeller, is it?

Best
Rob

j.p. morgan?
09-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Rockefeller?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-30-2012, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2012 04:22 PM by RJNorton.)
Nope.

Hint #1: He was a Lincoln author.
09-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Hint #2: He went to Oberlin Theological Seminary and graduated first in his class in 1890.
09-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Ah, William E. Barton.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
09-30-2012, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2012 05:10 PM by RJNorton.)
You got it, Rob. Two checks are already in the mail; a third goes out tomorrow. The quote comes from p. 220 of Thomas' Portrait for Posterity.

Here are a couple of photos of the big and fierce Reverend Barton.

[Image: barton1.jpg]

[Image: barton2.jpg]