Tough Tarbell Trivia
09-01-2012, 04:02 PM
RE: Tough Tarbell Trivia
I really can't think of a clue that won't give the answer away, so I guess I'll give the answer.

Tarbell was an anti-suffragist. She did not believe that women needed to vote, since they would likely vote the same way as a man.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Who was Rollo Diller and what did he have to do with Tarbell?

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
09-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Rob: I note that Ida Tarbell gave an Address to students at University of Michigan on Lincoln's birthday in 1909. I haven't read the Address am planning too. Is there a reason she spoke there, specifically? Did she have a Michigan connection?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Nothing specific, Bill. She toured the country on various speaking engagements for a number of years. I would imagine she was invited and was able to work it in her schedule.

First clue: He lived in Springfield.

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
09-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Second and final clue:

He knew Lincoln.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
09-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Did he own a store Lincoln used to frequent? I'm thinking a candy store he took the kids to.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
09-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Joe,

The store? Yes.

Candy? No.

Don't forget that part of the question is how it relates to Tarbell.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
09-05-2012, 07:08 PM
I hit the wall on this one. I'll Google it if there's a prize, though.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
09-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Actually, Google won't help on this one, at least not in the way you think. As for the prize, an autographed first edition of A Star Seeker for Truth (and I'm serious).

Besides, I already gave you guys the answer.Huh

If no one can figure it out by 8 p.m. central time, I will give a third clue of which Google will help.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
09-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Could the store be the F.A.O. Schwartz toy store? I have no idea about the Tarbell connection, however.
09-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Sorry Laurie, but it's not that. This is probably one of the tougher questions, but the answer (or at least the way to unravel it) is staring everyone in the face.

Half an hour before the final clue. Of course, at that point, the prize might have changed. Big Grin

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
09-05-2012, 08:52 PM
(09-05-2012 08:30 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Sorry Laurie, but it's not that. This is probably one of the tougher questions, but the answer (or at least the way to unravel it) is staring everyone in the face.

Half an hour before the final clue. Of course, at that point, the prize might have changed. Big Grin

Best
Rob

Was he the son of Isaac Diller who owned the drug store that Lincoln patronized?
09-05-2012, 09:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012 09:01 PM by L Verge.)
I misread and now realize that you were referring to a store in Springfield. Sorry. And, I bet that Joe is correct.
09-05-2012, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012 09:29 PM by Rob Wick.)
Joe,

I'm not sure of the familial connection to Isaac Diller, but you are correct on the drug store front.
Further research has revealed that Isaac R. Diller was the son of Rollo Diller.

Now, what connection did he have with Tarbell?

Almost forgot my promise for a third clue. The Eveready Hour.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
09-06-2012, 08:42 AM
(09-05-2012 09:10 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Joe,

I'm not sure of the familial connection to Isaac Diller, but you are correct on the drug store front.
Further research has revealed that Isaac R. Diller was the son of Rollo Diller.

Now, what connection did he have with Tarbell?

Almost forgot my promise for a third clue. The Eveready Hour.

Best
Rob
I do know that the veready Hour was a radio show that featured a lot of variet. Did they ever dramatize or featuire Ida Tarbell works on Lincoln? If so, would Issac Diller, who was photographed by Whipple when he took the photo of Lincoln and two of his boys behind the fence (see logo for the symposium) ever have appeared on the show? He was still alive then. This is a fun one, Rob, and has been like a detective story.