Trivia Advent Calendar
12-21-2014, 07:41 AM
RE: Trivia Advent Calendar
Hint #1: It has to do with something usually done at church or in a river or lake.
Hint #2: It represents a very summerly "item".
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2014, 09:40 AM
I have no idea, but I will ask if it has anything to do with baptism.
12-21-2014, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2014 10:18 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
This is a good idea, Roger - there's a different term used to describe the incident, but to me both terms would mean the same (maybe the other is not specifically religious).

Hint #3: This refers to something Abraham Lincoln did in 1853.
12-21-2014, 11:56 AM
That image reminds me of footsteps in the sand, but I have no idea what it is. Tad was born in 1853; could it be something related to him?
12-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Good idea, Laurie, but it doesn't have to do with Tad.

Hint #4: Here's a painting of the respective event:

12-21-2014, 12:04 PM
The watermelon toast to Christen a town?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
12-21-2014, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2014 12:43 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Very good, this is correct, Joe. Now - where and what is the object in the photo?
(The painting is by Lloyd Ostendorf, btw.)
12-21-2014, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2014 01:40 PM by J. Beckert.)
Having nothing else to toast the newly named town of Lincoln, Illinois, Lincoln poured the juice of a watermelon from a cup to Christen the town. I think he said anything named Lincoln would never amount to much, or something like that. I remember this because I also once used it as a trivia question which backfired horribly on me. I now proudly claim this point for the Germans.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
12-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Very good, Roger and Joe, that is the correct location and background story. Thanks for all your replies! Actually I was looking for the bizarre watermelon slice monument (made of painted steel) there:

Isn't this summerly?

Lincoln, Illinois, is the only town to be named after Abraham Lincoln while he was alive and with his consent and participation.

In 1853, the Chicago and Alton railroad was constructed about a mile east of Postville, and developers founded a new community in the vicinity of the railroad tracks. The town's developers (Robert Latham, John D. Gillett, and Virgil Hickox) proudly asked their distinguished attorney, Abraham Lincoln (also the railroad's attorney), if he would agree to have the town named after him. As Joe mentioned, according to Judge Stringer, he allegedly commented: "I never knew anything named Lincoln that amounted to much." On August 27, 1853 Abraham Lincoln christened his namesake community by slicing open a melon and pouring its juice onto the ground. According to the sign behind the statue Lincoln said: “Gentlemen, I am requested by the proprietors of the town site to christen it. I have selected the juice of a melon for that purpose, pouring it on the ground. Therefore, in your presence and hearing, I now christen this town site. Its name is Lincoln and soon to be named the permanent capital of Logan County. I have also prepared a feast for the occasion.”

Abraham Lincoln returned to Lincoln, Illinois, a number of times, the last time on May 3, 1865 - on the funeral train back to Springfield.

In October 1976 President Gerald Ford stopped by the town and recreated the famous watermelon juice drop:

This and more background info on this bit of history: http://findinglincolnillinois.com/alinco...olnil.html
12-21-2014, 07:24 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2014 07:26 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Three pictures are left now - here's #22:

Your guess(es)?
12-22-2014, 06:18 AM
Hint #1: The question to find out is "Guess who?", not "Guess what?"
12-22-2014, 06:43 AM
Once again my aging eyes are not seeing the clue very well. Is it a small section of the William Mumler photo of Mary?
12-22-2014, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2014 08:45 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
This is an outstanding guess, Roger!!! I'm sorry, it's not correct. The depicted isn't a female (if it's a male's ghost - well...).

Please have another look at him:

12-22-2014, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2014 10:45 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Hope this will help:

Hint #2: It's a conspirator.

Hint #3: He was dead when the photo was taken.
12-22-2014, 11:25 AM
That would be the skull of Lewis Powell, I believe.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user