Trivia Advent Calendar
12-08-2014, 02:28 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 02:40 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Trivia Advent Calendar
(12-07-2014 06:40 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Wasn't there Indian land in dispute in the deal also?
Maybe about the protection of Indian reservations? I just found this which had happened over a decade before:

Yosemite Valley's first residents were American Indians who inhabited the region perhaps as long as 6,000 years ago. By the time Euro-Americans entered the Yosemite area in the mid-19th century, the Valley was inhabited by peoples who called the Yosemite Valley "Ahwahnee" ("Place of a Gaping Mouth") and themselves the "Ahwahneechee." They harvested black oak acorns, hunted and fished, and traded these and other items native to Yosemite Valley, with the Mono Lake Paiute people for obsidian, rabbit skins and pine nuts.

Few non-Indians knew of the existence of Yosemite Valley prior to 1851. The discovery of gold in the Sierra Nevada foothills in 1848 brought thousands of gold seekers to the area. By 1851, the continued theft of Indian lands and murder of native people resulted in the Mariposa Indian War. On March 27, 1851, in an attempt to subdue a group of Indian people, the state-sanctioned Mariposa Battalion entered Yosemite Valley. They became the first group of non-Indians to record their entry into the Valley.

The war ended on July 1 with the outcome of the Ahwahneechees being forced to accept reservation life.

Now - good morning and welcome to peep through window #8:

Who/what is hiding there?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2014, 08:40 AM
That is Lincolns face on Mt. Rushmore!
12-08-2014, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 11:14 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Brilliant, Scott! This is correct:

Speaking of this breathtaking monument (would love to see it myself), I absolutely love this scene as well as the entire movie:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4zr_zL_T3g8

Allow me proudly to add this on the redwoods: The Grizzly Giant is a giant sequoia, one of the three sequoioidea (redwoods) subfamilies. Not giant though, but two redwoods, i.e. two specimen of the Metasequoia glyptostroboides, the dawn redwood, grow in one of "my" city's botanical gardens:

...and these are indeed the oldest redwoods on the European continent!

In 1848 , tobacco manufacturer Abraham Christian Brauer brought the seeds (along with many others) from the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University and planted them in his then private park in Kiel, right opposite the fjord. (Just for correctness: although these trees are from Boston, the species itself - M. glyptostroboides - is native to China, as the common name - dawn redwood - suggests!)
12-08-2014, 03:42 PM
(12-08-2014 09:51 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Brilliant, Scott! This is correct:

Speaking of this breathtaking monument (would love to see it myself), I absolutely love this scene as well as the entire movie:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4zr_zL_T3g8

Allow me proudly to add this on the redwoods: The Grizzly Giant is a giant sequoia, one of the three sequoioidea (redwoods) subfamilies. Not giant though, but two redwoods, i.e. two specimen of the Metasequoia glyptostroboides, the dawn redwood, grow in one of "my" city's botanical gardens:

...and these are indeed the oldest redwoods on the European continent!

In 1848 , tobacco manufacturer Abraham Christian Brauer brought the seeds (along with many others) from the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University and planted them in his then private park in Kiel, right opposite the fjord. (Just for correctness: although these trees are from Boston, the species itself - M. glyptostroboides - is native to China, as the common name - dawn redwood - suggests!)

As a native South Dakotan (the home of Mt. Rushmore and known as the Rushmore State in some circles) I would be ostracized to no end if I didn't get that one immediately!!
12-09-2014, 05:16 AM
Scott and everyone - allow me at this point to thank y'all for your very active participation on this thread!

Welcome now to window #9 - what do you guess will reveal itself behind this one?

12-09-2014, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 09:09 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Hint #1: This item appeared on the stage of history in 1865.

Hint #2: It had probably once lain under a Xmas tree.
12-09-2014, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 10:19 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Hint #3: If it had lain under a Xmas tree, a girl would have found it there.

Hint #4: More precisely, it entered the stage in April 1865.

Here's another "peep":

12-09-2014, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 01:56 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
My last try - another peep:

...and this last hint: Think April 9!
(Now - please, don't let me down with this!)
12-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Eva,

I had to cheat and do a google search but I found the answer. It's a "Silent Witness Doll" from Appomattox:

http://www.nps.gov/apco/forteachers/uplo...r%201a.pdf
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2014, 12:21 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 01:56 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Excellent - thank you for your efforts and reply, Dave!
(I was sure the doll/surrender souvenirs have been mentioned on the forum. It's sometimes so difficult to estimate - usually when I think a question is easy it turns out the opposite and v.v.)

12-09-2014, 02:46 PM
(12-09-2014 12:21 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  I was sure the doll/surrender souvenirs have been mentioned on the forum.

Wonderful question, Eva! And you are correct - Gene mentioned the doll here.
12-09-2014, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 04:03 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Thanks, Roger. Joe did, too: http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...n#pid12193
12-10-2014, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 10:06 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Who is #10?

12-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Sara Bush Lincoln - Abraham's step mother

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
12-10-2014, 10:16 AM
Brilliant, Gene - that is correct: