The tragical procession
12-07-2014, 06:25 PM
RE: The tragical procession
The complaints that I heard came soon after it officially opened, so maybe the computers were a stop-gap measure until all exhibits were up and helping to disperse the crowds. I'm glad to hear that they possibly have competition now from just plain, old, educational exhibits that fill lots of space.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2014, 09:14 AM
The season for Gettysburg is pretty much April 15th to October 15th, with a small increase on the anniversary of the address. The rest of the late fall and winter, you pretty much have the place to yourself.

While I certainly think computers are great (we wouldn't have the great Lincoln Discussion Symposium without them), nothing replaces face to face contact. Computers have limits and pretty much cannot create a dialogue. Sometimes when I'm volunteering at Ford's, I will go over to the deringer when there is a crowd and just say that they are looking at the most valuable gun in history. That gets their attention and usually opens up a few questions.
12-12-2014, 06:31 PM
(12-03-2014 08:34 PM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  I ventured to Gettysburg to check out the hearse. The provenance, if accurate is better than most. It was one of 13 (unlucky?) built by William C. Pichner & Son under contract to the US Government. The other twelve were destroyed in a warehouse fire. I wouldn't doubt that it carried Lincoln somewhere. Most likely from the Petersen House to the White House. I was always under the impression that he was taken back to the White House in an Ambulance, but a hearse would certainly have been more appropriate, especially since there was a light rain and army ambulances were open with a canvas top and flimsy side curtains.

The hearse is very well restored. According to museum President Tammy Myers the interior is all original and they even have the original rug that went inside. The hearse has only had five owners.

Many thanks to Jim for sending these photos of the hearse.

[Image: hearse700.JPG]

[Image: hearse701.JPG]

[Image: hearse702.JPG]

[Image: hearse703.JPG]

[Image: hearse704.JPG]
12-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Great photos Jim. Thanks. It's beautifully restored.
12-12-2014, 08:07 PM
The interior with the exception of the brass, appears original. The curtains are original, and I believe unrestored. If you look down through the interior, you may notice a door at the end. The door opens up under the driver's seat to allow more space. The hearse can hold a casket/coffin over 7 feet long.

I believe that Rich Smyth spoke to someone about the Tallahassee hearse. There is no provenance for their hearse.
12-14-2014, 10:36 AM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2014 12:50 PM by loetar44.)
(12-12-2014 08:07 PM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  The interior with the exception of the brass, appears original. The curtains are original, and I believe unrestored. If you look down through the interior, you may notice a door at the end. The door opens up under the driver's seat to allow more space. The hearse can hold a casket/coffin over 7 feet long.

I believe that Rich Smyth spoke to someone about the Tallahassee hearse. There is no provenance for their hearse.

Really GREAT photo's Jim. Thank you for posting.

James L. Swanson, has written two books about Lincoln's death. Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer ( 2007) and Chasing Lincoln's Killer (2009). He said in an interview on February 12, 2009 re. 200 years of Abraham Lincoln (maybe it is also in one of his books....):

"A little while later, soldiers rounded the corner carrying something, and that's when the thousands of people standing on the street maintaining the death vigil let out a wail," ….. "Because that was the final refutation of their hopes. When they saw that box — it wasn't even a proper coffin; it was an ammunition crate or a rifle case — they carried that box up the stairs, they wrapped Lincoln's body in the American flag, and then lowered him into the coffin. And witnesses say the only thing you could hear in that death room was the squeaking of the screws being tightened."

I wonder, what is Swanson saying about the hearse that took the corpse to the White House?
04-19-2015, 04:32 PM
I have to add some fuel to this discussion. Great information.

I have a document from the late historian D.L. Allebaugh. Includes history of the hearse including all owners and summary of "U.S. Compound No. 1."
The document also states..
"Year Carriage Was Made: 1850 1 of 3 of 13. "

Are there any original images available of the Hearse that carried Lincoln from Peterson House to Washington, then to the train station? That would clear up a lot about the hearse at the Gettysburg museum.

[Image: 9khR817.jpg]
04-19-2015, 05:23 PM
(04-19-2015 04:32 PM)SteveV Wrote:  Are there any original images available of the Hearse that carried Lincoln from Peterson House to Washington, then to the train station? That would clear up a lot about the hearse at the Gettysburg museum.

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. Personally I do not recall ever seeing a photo of a hearse that has been unquestionably identified as the one that carried Lincoln from the Petersen House to the White House.
04-19-2015, 06:32 PM
I agree with Roger as to never seeing a picture or engraving of the hearse. One of our forum members has done some research, I believe, on the passage of Lincoln's body to the White House. Heath, where are you?
04-23-2015, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2015 07:05 AM by SteveV.)
Thank RJ & L Verge. Where's Heath? Tongue