The Soul of Ann Rutledge
09-06-2014, 10:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2014 09:32 AM by Gene C.)
The Soul of Ann Rutledge
by Bernie Babcock in 1918. She was widowed at the age of 29, with five children. She became determined to be a writer so she could stay at home and raise a family. This book became an international success going through fourteen printings and translated into several foreign languages.

Learn more about Ms. Babcock here http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/en...ryID=1097#

This is a love story. About 322 pages. Melodramatic and historically inaccurate. In spite of this, it's a touching story. I'm not one for reading romance novels, but if you are, you may find this one worth your time. There are times when the writing is sickeningly sweet. It is offset by the times you share the feeling and emotions of Abraham and Ann. There is also a strong religious and moral theme through the book. The writing style is definitely dated. In spite of these shortcomings, I am glad I read it. The book has probably played a part in adding to the myth and legend of Abraham Lincoln.

I read the on line version, but you can find a copy to purchase on amazon.
https://archive.org/details/soulofannrutledg00babcrich

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2014, 08:53 AM
RE: The Soul of Ann Rutledge
Gene, I have had a fascination with Ann Rutledge ever since third or fourth grade. This sounds like an interesting book.

Here is a photo of Ann Rutledge's mother. It was taken in about 1870.

[Image: anmom.jpg]
12-25-2015, 02:25 AM
I think Bill Herndon was immediately and most hated by Lincoln zealots for intruding reality and Lincoln's interest in Rutledge. You could almost track a chronology of the various time periods of blunders of Lincoln scholars on this and that topic. They had the Rutledge episode deeply buried for decades, and may do so again. Folks just hated NOT to believe that dear Mary Todd Lincoln was not a charming domestic lady. In fact, she apparently was something straight out of Shakespeare, and no wonder Lincoln (or any man) would want to evade her. But when William Herdon researched and documented that Lincoln might first have chosen Rutledge, that really upset the true believers in all the Lincoln mythos.
12-25-2015, 01:42 PM
I think the title of the book alone is highly suggestive of where the writer intended on going with the narrative- probably over the top and largely speculative. I've never read it so take my two cents with a grain of salt.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-25-2015, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-25-2015 06:37 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Maharba, have you seen this thread?
http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...ad-88.html