Lincoln's Sons
07-22-2014, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2014 09:31 PM by Gene C.)
Lincoln's Sons
by Ruth Painter Randall, excellent book. Copyright in 1955.
Full of interesting things about Lincoln's family life. Tad is probably the most interesting person in the book. In spite of being terribly spoiled, he was a very compassionate little boy. You get a fairly good idea of what Abraham might have been like as a father.

The change the family went through when the president is killed is well documented. It was especially tragic and life changing for Tad. He becomes in some measure the emotional support for Mary.
"When he heard her sobbing in the night, he would come to her bedside, put his young arms around her, and whisper "Don't cry Mamma; I cannot sleep if you cry! Papa was good, and he has gone to heaven. He is happy there. He is with God and my brother Willie. Don't cry Mamma or, I will cry too."

The effect of the assassination on Robert is described well, and Mrs. Randall explains the reasons why he acted the way he did regarding his mother and in trying to protect his father's legacy.

http://www.amazon.com/Lincolns-sons-Ruth...B00005W9AY

Well written, enjoyable to read and informative. I highly recommend it!

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2014, 01:16 AM
RE: Lincoln's Sons
Hi Gene,

That is indeed a wonderful book. One of my favorite stories about Tad took place when he was a teenager and had returned from Europe with Mary to visit Robert and his family.

He is supposed to have said "I do wish they would leave my mother alone!" or something to effect to a reporter.

It's so sad to imagine the man he would have become. He was beginning to show so much promise.
07-23-2014, 05:21 AM
Gene and Toia, I sure agree! I love this book.

I have mentioned this before - in the book Ruth Painter Randall writes, "On May 18 a newspaperman noted that 'Master Tad Lincoln was among the spectators at the conspiracy trial this afternoon.'" The author goes on to write, "It is painful to think of the turmoil in his passionate young heart as he looked at those who had plotted with the murderer of his father."

I'd love to find the original source for this. If true, young Tad was at both the conspiracy trial and the trial of John Surratt in 1867 (Tad testified briefly).
07-23-2014, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2014 09:44 AM by LincolnToddFan.)
Thanks Roger. I've also read somewhere that poor Tad was called to testify at the Surratt trial. How awful for him!
07-23-2014, 12:45 PM
So there's RPR's "Mary" biography, "Lincoln's Sons", and "Lincoln's Animal Friends". I have the latter and love it, and I recently ordered "Mary". One day I'll surrender and invest in this one, too. Are there any other books by RPR?
07-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Yes, these are the main ones....I haven't read any of these yet
I, Varina - about Jeff Davis's wife
The Courtship of Mr. Lincoln
Col. Elmer ELsworth
I, Elizabeth - about Custer's wife
I, Jesse - about Freemont's wife
I, Ruth - autobiography

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-23-2014, 02:59 PM
Eva, I think you will like I Mary. Unlike some of her other books, but like Lincoln's Sons, it has an index. It also includes a photo most books don't have - it's of the Lincoln home in Springfield taken from the rear of the house. It also has a photo of Dr. Ward's Academy in Lexington.
07-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Wow, a photo of Ward's - I hope I'll receive my copy soon! Can't wait!! "Lincoln's Animal Friends" has no photos, but lovely, wonderful sketches instead!
07-23-2014, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2014 07:42 PM by ReignetteC.)
(07-23-2014 01:08 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Yes, these are the main ones....I haven't read any of these yet
I, Varina - about Jeff Davis's wife
The Courtship of Mr. Lincoln
Col. Elmer ELsworth
I, Elizabeth - about Custer's wife
I, Jesse - about Freemont's wife
I, Ruth - autobiography

I found several of Randall's books on E-bay and have not been disappointed. I also think that she wrote some articles, including one about the Lincoln boys, for Life magazine in the 1950s. I'll check.
07-23-2014, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2014 09:44 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
(07-23-2014 04:56 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Wow, a photo of Ward's - I hope I'll receive my copy soon! Can't wait!! "Lincoln's Animal Friends" has no photos, but lovely, wonderful sketches instead!

Does Lincoln's Animal Friends have the story about when the President was out for a carriage ride one afternoon and saw a friend walking and offered him a ride...then just as the distinguished gentleman was entering he saw that AL had a couple of his goats with him in the carriage? The man freaked out and said there was no way he was going to share a carriage with billy goats. Lincoln assured him that there was "plenty of room" but the friend refused to enter. Lincoln was genuinely baffled at this attitude, but finally drove off.

I remember reading this many years ago in a book about WH pets and for the life of me I cannot remember where I read it. I thought it was a very funny story...vintage AL! And I am pretty sure the offended friend was Edwin Stanton.

Has anyone else heard that one?
07-24-2014, 05:54 AM
Toia, never heard this - it's not in "Lincoln's Animal Friends". But Stanton and A. L. once together saved some peacocks at the Soldiers' Home (told Stanton's son).
07-24-2014, 05:58 AM
Toia, I have read that Lincoln sometimes allowed the goats to ride in the presidential carriage but don't recall ever reading the story you cited.
07-24-2014, 08:23 AM
I really love all the animal stories and anecdotes. Are there any other recommendable books on this topic (comparable to "Lincoln's Animal Friends" - at best with references)?
07-24-2014, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2014 03:14 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
(07-24-2014 05:58 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Toia, I have read that Lincoln sometimes allowed the goats to ride in the presidential carriage but don't recall ever reading the story you cited.

I am pretty sure that I originally read the story in "Dog Days at the White House" by Traphes Bryant in the 70's. I'll try to find it this weekend!

Eva, Traphes Bryant was a White House electrician and kennel keeper from the time of the Truman Administration to that of Gerald Ford in the mid 70's when he retired. He had some fascinating and hilarious stories to tell about the days when he took care of the pets of the First Families. The great majority(and funniest) stories concern the Kennedy-Johnson years. That's when the WH was virtually overrun with pets. LBJ was a dog lover, and Jackie Kennedy was too. At one time there were about 11 dogs in the Kennedy WH kennels. Anyway if I remember correctly, there were a couple of Lincoln animal stories that had been passed down from earlier Administrations.

The very idea of goats riding around in that elegant presidential carriage is hysterical...I assume they accompanied AL only when Mary was not around? There is no way she would have gone for that, I bet!
07-30-2014, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 12:45 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(07-23-2014 04:56 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Wow, a photo of Ward's - I hope I'll receive my copy soon! Can't wait!! "Lincoln's Animal Friends" has no photos, but lovely, wonderful sketches instead!
Today I received my luxury shipped 1 cent copy and I'm SO DISAPPOINTED - NO PHOTOS!!! May I ask on which pages they were supposed to be??? The book came in 5 pieces (no joke), maybe one is missing...Besides that, to be fair, if it was just for 1 cent, there would have been nothing to complain about as the pages, though the paper is old and yellowed, are clean.