This is Ridiculous!
07-14-2014, 07:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2014 07:25 PM by brtmchl.)
RE: This is Ridiculous!
(07-13-2014 06:03 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Look for a copy coming your way, Mike! Big Grin

That's so sweet Betty. Thank you.

The book does sound interesting Laurie, when it does finally come out i'll have to get it.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Hi Laurie et al
I spoke to Phil Taylor today and he tells me that his book on Confederates in Montreal is not finished yet. He hopes to get to Montreal in the fall for more research. His publisher got a bit anxious and posted the book on Amazon. And once you do that you cannot get it removed.
But... it is coming.
I am going to meet with Phil on Friday and see what he has in his book so far. I have done quite a bit of research on Confederates in Canada. I might be of some help to him.
I will let you know more later.
Kieran
07-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the update Kieran!

I had not heard of this book prior to Laurie's post but now am anxiously awaiting it! Hope Mr. Taylor's visit to Montreal is fruitful and he is able to get what he needs to complete his book.

Look forward to your next update.
07-15-2014, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2014 08:21 PM by L Verge.)
Poke around, Kieran, for any info on a Col. James Gordon (from Mississippi and husband to Jacob Thompson's niece) who supposedly met Booth in Canada in the spring of 1865. Gordon speaks of knowing about the kidnap plot, but claimed that Booth jumped the gun. He also had a $10,000 price on his head after the assassination, was arrested, but then released. That was a powerful reward if he wasn't seriously being considered guilty of something. Tidwell, Hall, and Gaddy devoted a few pages to him in Come Retribution - but nothing more than what I just condensed.

The key word to me is Mississippi as in home state of Jefferson Davis and Jacob Thompson and next door to Louisiana's Judah Benjamin. Suspicious minds want to know...
06-02-2015, 05:15 AM
(07-10-2014 04:22 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I just received this notice from Amazon:

Hello,

We're writing about the order you placed on May 22, 2011 (Order# 105-3666361-9855438). Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Phil Sherman Taylor "Montreal and the Assassination of Abraham Lincoln: John Wilkes Booth's Unexplained Visit to Montreal in October 1864"
Estimated arrival date: June 04, 2015 - June 08, 2015

You can tell by the title that I would really like to get that book. However, notice that I first ordered it in May of 2011, and I am now getting another notice that its publication has been pushed back to June of 2015. Four years to wait for a book? It better be damned good and hold the secret key to who planned the assassination!!

Thank you to Bob Cook for sending this information. Bob had written the publisher asking about the book. He received a brief reply:

"Unfortunately, for reasons beyond our control, the book will not be published.

Sorry for the news. The story is very interesting."
06-02-2015, 06:41 AM
We've ALL been waiting for this book....this is pretty ridiculous. How or WHY will the book "NOT be published?" Why doesn't the author simply seek another publisher? Granted, McFarland is not the greatest in the world, but I bet dimes to donuts that they would publish. Unless it is the author's decision. Anyone KNOW Mr. Taylor? It seems Kieran has some knowledge of him....?!

Can someone please update for us? This is a fascinating subject and needs to be explored more deeply.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
06-02-2015, 06:56 AM
Hi all
I will call Phil Taylor today and get an update.
His publisher certainly caused confusion by announcing the publication date when the book wasn't ready. I am not sure what new information will be in the book. The Montreal story deserves deep, and time consuming investigation. James O. Hall told me the only undiscovered information about the assassination, if there is any, is probably in Montreal.
Kieran