Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination
11-25-2015, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2015 11:04 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination
I cannot imagine. I think he wasn't the kind of personality and character to agree and participate in crime even though he helped Spangler, the Booths' etc. afterwards. This I feel was rather from "family /friendship feeling" (the same kind of feeling as Edwin had for this brother although not agreeing with his actions). And wasn't he a Unionist (at that time)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-25-2015, 06:19 PM
John Ford was a very humane, pragmatic figure. He always knew which way the wind was blowing, and knew when to trim his sails. I have never found anything to indicate he was in any way involved with the conspiracy, or might have even suspected anything was in the wind (although his brother Harry may have sniffed a thing or two). Enough mixed metaphors for everyone? Wink
04-16-2016, 02:02 PM
Kudos and hope all goes well, Tom!

http://www.ydr.com/story/news/history/bl.../83109106/
04-16-2016, 06:12 PM
Way to go, Tom!
04-16-2016, 11:30 PM
Thanks! The night after that, Apr. 21, I will be in Toms River NJ, speaking at the Ocean Co. Library. The book's reception has been really rewarding (and humbling).
01-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Vicki and I had the pleasure today of attending a book talk by Tom. Tom spoke at the Sanibel Public Library on beautiful Sanibel Island. The talk was a reminder to me of just how unique, thorough, and excellent Tom's book is. Kudos on a job well done, Tom!
01-10-2017, 06:04 PM
Roger,

Tom ALWAYS delivers an excellent talk! I have had the privilege of hearing him speak 3 or 4 times now. Better and better each time. Hope you guys were able to get together and enjoy time spent.
01-31-2017, 10:57 PM
Scott, this is Gail. Tom and I met Roger and Vicki for a wonderful lunch in Ft. Myers while we were down in FL. We had a great time. We are all apparently VERY slow eaters - lunch seems to take us about 3 hours. ;-)
And Tom was so pleased that they came to hear him speak at the library in Sanibel. It was nice for him to see some friendly faces there. Roger threw him a "save," when Tom blanked on O'Loughlin's name. :-)
03-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Thank you to Laurie for sending this link to a talk Tom Bogar gave at the Library of Congress.

There is a transcript of Tom's talk here.
03-14-2017, 08:26 PM
Roger,

I just watched this presentation. Excellent job by Tom.

Thanks for sharing the link. Well worth watching.

Bob
03-17-2017, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2017 07:58 PM by Anita.)
Thanks for the link to Tom's interview. I've read "Backstage" but this interview focused on some areas I needed to revisit. i.e. "But there wasn't a sense of a bond that a theater company usually has to be able to be supportive of each other in case of an emergency backstage."

Other things Tom mentions is the average age of the cast was under 30, almost half under 20 and almost all of the crew was in their 20s. There were no lights backstage and cues were signaled with a Bosun's whistle. When taken together I could understand the panic.

The difficulties in researching these "walking shadows" and the large number of frauds who claimed to be at Ford's the night of the assassination, are areas Tom explores in this interview. So even if you've read the book, check it out.

Thanks Tom for spotlight on these "walking shadows."
03-17-2017, 09:20 PM
(03-17-2017 07:56 PM)Anita Wrote:  Thanks for the link to Tom's interview. I've read "Backstage" but this interview focused on some areas I needed to revisit. i.e. "But there wasn't a sense of a bond that a theater company usually has to be able to be supportive of each other in case of an emergency backstage."

Other things Tom mentions is the average age of the cast was under 30, almost half under 20 and almost all of the crew was in their 20s. There were no lights backstage and cues were signaled with a Bosun's whistle. When taken together I could understand the panic.

The difficulties in researching these "walking shadows" and the large number of frauds who claimed to be at Ford's the night of the assassination, are areas Tom explores in this interview. So even if you've read the book, check it out.

Thanks Tom for spotlight on these "walking shadows."

My pleasure, Anita. Thanks for the kind words. If there's anything I can clarify further, just let me know.
05-15-2017, 05:55 AM
See what Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) is reading here!!
12-20-2018, 05:18 PM
I've had it in the back of my mind to read this for, um, a WHILE now. Finally got around to picking up a digital copy at the iBookstore along with a couple of other things. I've always been fascinated by ordinary people who suddenly find themselves in these incredibly historic moments, so I'm really looking forward to reading the book.

"The interment of John Booth was without trickery or stealth, but no barriers of evidence, no limits of reason ever halted the Great American Myth." - George S. Bryan, The Great American Myth