Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination
03-19-2014, 04:11 PM
RE: Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination
I was very impressed with this book and its extensive bibliography, and I appreciated the fact that it gave some background on the changes underway in mid-19th century theater as well as covering the assassination and its aftermath. I thought that gave some added perspective.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Tom Bogar has his name back in the papers. Yesterday's Washington Post (section C3) had a half-page article on Jimmy Carter's proclivity for the theater arts. Tom is included, with photo, due to the research that he did for his 2006 book on American Presidents Attend the Theatre.
04-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Way to go Tom! You are most certainly the expert on this subject.
04-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Wow - Tom's book is extremely impressive and the Creme de la Creme regarding Ford's Theatre and the assassination.....

Congratulations!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
04-08-2014, 08:10 AM
(04-03-2014 02:11 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Tom Bogar has his name back in the papers. Yesterday's Washington Post (section C3) had a half-page article on Jimmy Carter's proclivity for the theater arts. Tom is included, with photo, due to the research that he did for his 2006 book on American Presidents Attend the Theatre.

It is online here. Kudos, Tom!
04-08-2014, 09:58 PM
That's excellent....congratulations Tom!Smile
06-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Ford's Theatre has been maintaining an excellent blog, and I was happy to see that Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination was helpful to the cast of One Destiny, in creating their characters: http://blog.fords.org/2014/05/23/explori...tiny-cast/ My next talk on the book will be next week, on June 12, at the Lancaster, Pennsylvania (near where Ned Spangler was from), Civil War Round Table, if you're in the area.
06-03-2014, 03:49 PM
(06-02-2014 09:22 PM)Tom Bogar Wrote:  Ford's Theatre has been maintaining an excellent blog, and I was happy to see that Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination was helpful to the cast of One Destiny, in creating their characters: http://blog.fords.org/2014/05/23/explori...tiny-cast/ My next talk on the book will be next week, on June 12, at the Lancaster, Pennsylvania (near where Ned Spangler was from), Civil War Round Table, if you're in the area.

Tom, do you plan to be in Southern Calif. any time in the future?
Anita
06-03-2014, 05:44 PM
(06-03-2014 03:49 PM)Anita Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 09:22 PM)Tom Bogar Wrote:  Ford's Theatre has been maintaining an excellent blog, and I was happy to see that Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination was helpful to the cast of One Destiny, in creating their characters: http://blog.fords.org/2014/05/23/explori...tiny-cast/ My next talk on the book will be next week, on June 12, at the Lancaster, Pennsylvania (near where Ned Spangler was from), Civil War Round Table, if you're in the area.

Anita

Unfortunately, Anita, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to for awhile, but I will post something if I do, I promise!
06-06-2014, 02:20 PM
(06-03-2014 05:44 PM)Tom Bogar Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 03:49 PM)Anita Wrote:  

Anita

Unfortunately, Anita, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to for awhile, but I will post something if I do, I promise!
Thanks Tom. I learned(and continue to learn) so much from your "backstage" history. I'll be watching for your post!
06-19-2014, 05:20 PM
I just finished reading this book, lots of very interesting information in there. Definitely a book to keep on the shelf and re-read every so often. I love the way it kind of gives a 360 degree view of what was going on with the theater folks. Of course I now feel even worse for poor Ned Spangler, seems like he was railroaded even more than I had realized. Although it appears he handled it about as well as could possibly be expected.

"The interment of John Booth was without trickery or stealth, but no barriers of evidence, no limits of reason ever halted the Great American Myth." - George S. Bryan, The Great American Myth
06-19-2014, 05:57 PM
I agree, Jonathan. I, too, have felt Spangler was railroaded.

There was at least one thing in Tom's book regarding Spangler that was both new to me and surprised me. It's on p. 141 when John Selecman (assistant to James Maddox) approaches James Ferguson (Greenback saloon owner) and indicates he has "vital information" about the assassination. Selecman says he was in the alley when Booth first arrived on his horse. He goes on to say he heard Booth yell for Spangler and say, "Now, Ned, you will give me all the assistance you can." And Spangler replies, "Yes, I will, you can depend on that."

To me, the implication seems to be that Spanger was expected to help Booth. This, of course, is what Rittersbach said in his testimony.

But maybe there's another explanation for what Selecman says he overheard?
06-19-2014, 11:13 PM
I think it's probable that Spangler would have readily agreed to help his good friend Booth, even if Booth had not been specific about what he needed. At least Selecman wasn't producing testimony that had been forceably spoon-fed to him in Old Capitol, like some others.
09-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Tom will be speaking next week at Hood College in Frederick, Maryland.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/arts_an...0fc5e.html
10-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination
I found this lecture that Mr. Bogar gave on cspan that I thought I would share. This is a great book for those who haven't read it yet.
Heath

http://www.c-span.org/video/?316368-1/bo...assination