Stump the German
11-20-2013, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2013 09:38 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Stump the German
Herr Beckert, my dear fellow German, this the "Stump the German"- question, which you have so long been waiting for. Here it goes:
With no help from Google translate the following cartoon with the two German chipmunks (do you remember - German chipmunks are HUGE*)!
Herr Beckert, please don't leave us Germans in the lurch and let smart Rebels, Yankees, or other forum members be faster to score this point!
1.=
2.=
3.=
4.=

*As for the huge German chipmunks - Joe once sent me a photo of him feeding a chipmunk (I have never seen a real one). I sent him a photo back of me feeding an elephant plus a comment like: "Here's a photo of me feeding a chipmunk. But obviously something was wrong with the food, so the chipmunk suddenly grew and looked a bit unusual then." His reply: "Wow, German chipmunks are huge!" (My reply:"If you think our chipmunks are huge, you should [er, shall?] see our elephants!")
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2013, 08:28 AM
RE: Stump the German
Rats! I've been outed! I can't speak German without Google Translate!! Where's Bill Richter when I need him?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
11-20-2013, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2013 09:40 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
This will make Laurie's day - you are begging a Rebel to help you...(sorry, can't spare you of this comment)!
Well, I'm pretty sure there are some folks out there who can help you!
11-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Here is probably an ill-fated attempt to explain the meaning of the cartoon.

1. "Is this the 24-part tea service that I wanted?"

2. "In between, there must be at least 100 parts."

Eva will probably have to step in with the correct translation, because this still doesn't really make alot of sense. Sorry about that.
11-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks, Roger, well done! This is absolutely correct! And if you add #3 (= shake/rattle), it does make sense I hope...obviously the guy hadn't wrapped the tea set properly.
Roger, you win a tea set consisting of cup and saucer, but easily convertible in as many pieces as you wish.
And #4 is "Happy birthday to you, Joe!"
11-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Thanks, Eva!! I lucked out.
11-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Rats, Eva! Am I too late? I just got some help from the Rebel side, too! According to my Unreconstructed source however, Roger forgot to add the tearing noise as the package is unwrapped. Therefore, we can declare this a German victory!

Germans 1
Non-Germans 0

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
11-20-2013, 05:45 PM
You might as well declare this a German victory, because my ancestors were mere Swiss-Germans, anyway.
11-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Would that be a victory for Germans by proxy?

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
11-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Trust me, that whole thing could be in Canadian French, and Joseph would still declare it a German victory. We still love him, though. Hope you had a very happy birthday, you semi-converted Yankee Rebel.
11-20-2013, 10:18 PM
Nevertheless and strangely, the score never gets higher than 1. Sisyphean labor...
11-20-2013, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2013 10:28 PM by J. Beckert.)
(11-20-2013 05:45 PM)Rogerm Wrote:  You might as well declare this a German victory, because my ancestors were mere Swiss-Germans, anyway.

Atta boy, Roger!

(11-20-2013 06:46 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Trust me, that whole thing could be in Canadian French, and Joseph would still declare it a German victory. We still love him, though. Hope you had a very happy birthday, you semi-converted Yankee Rebel.

Thank you for understanding, Laurie! Wins are hard won around here. And thanks for the birthday wishes! A full conversion to the Rebel side should be complete with a few more helpings of grits and crabcakes. March should push me over the edge.

(11-20-2013 10:18 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Nevertheless and strangely, the score never gets higher than 1. Sisyphean labor...

We're on a roll. Eva. You have now established a "Stump the German" category. Run with it. You have some great trivia questions. It's time baffle the forum with German brilliance.

Germans 1
Non Germans 0

12-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Excuse me, but is this thing on?

LET'S GO, EVA!!

12-02-2013, 11:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 05:24 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Sure, as you like it. I tried this question once, but it interfered with one on another thread. I'll give it a second try. (And it absolutely fits to the season!)
In summer 1861, Mary sent her niece, Julia Edwards Baker (Elizabeth's daughter), a very special present when Julia was going to have her children christened.
What was this present?

I had already given this hint#1: It was in a bottle.
12-03-2013, 08:17 AM
(Pssst - Eva! You forgot to post the score.) Good Luck!

Germans 1
Non Germans 0