Why does Lincoln still matter?
07-26-2012, 06:36 AM
Why does Lincoln still matter?
I think it is an important question as we are observing the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. Why does Lincoln still matter? Why does he still matter to you personally? Why should he matter to the average person on the street? Is Lincoln still relevant? Answer any way you like on this. Obviously, by virtue of the fact that we are members of this Lincoln Forum- we hold Lincoln to be worthy of consideration. Your thoughts?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2012, 07:44 AM
RE: Why does Lincoln still matter?
Bill,He matters to me because he is the epidomy of History!The events and circumstances that surrounded his life!He also set a precedent by which we can evaluate other presidents before and after him!
Find all posts by this user
07-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Herb: off topic for me a little-but I'll ask anyway: what is your personal list of top five presidents. I'm assuming you place Lincoln on top, right?

Bill Nash
07-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Bill,When I taught high school history,I would always rate the top 10 and worst 5!So here we go-1-Lincoln-2-Washington-3-Teddy Roosevelt-4-FDRoosevelt-5-Truman[Polk-Jefferson-Wilson-Kennedy?-IKE?].Fun-Fun-Fun!--Worst-5--1A.Johnson-2-Pierce-3-Buchanan-4-Carter-5-Nixon.Thanks for asking for my opinion,My mentor[Albert Castel] at Western Michigan University was never leary to express his opinion!
07-27-2012, 04:43 PM
I love your list. I really don't know anything about Polk. Surprised to not see Jackson on either side of your list. What about Jackson?

Bill Nash
07-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Bill,Jackson is on my best list,but he was such a renegade he made TR.look normal! Polk was the expansionist President and was not afraid to acquire land,no matter the risk or cost!
07-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Herb: am enjoying our conversation. Hope you don't mind another question. You have Nixon in your worst side-why? Is it because of the Watergate scandal and it's impact? Just curious!

Bill Nash
07-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Bill,Nixon said we were not going into Cambodia!I was in Viet-Nam and in the worst"fire fight" of our lives was in Cambodia.That,and Watergate makes him one of the worst Liars in American History!
07-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks for sharing that Herb. I too am a veteran (101st Airborne infantry)- Viet-Nam era.

Bill Nash
07-28-2012, 08:46 AM
I think Lincoln allows us to believe that we actually have a chance to reach the goals we strive for as a nation. We look at his love of liberty, freedom and mankind and hope somewhere down the line we can emulate and actually succeed in maintaining those views which he fought and died for. We are always on the lookout for a new birth of freedom and for maintaining our position as the last best hope on earth.

Plus, he had a really cool beard. Smile

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
07-28-2012, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2012 10:50 AM by Thomas Thorne.)
Lincoln's issues are still our issues.
What is the balance between individual liberty and collective responsibility? Can democracies survive the passions of their citizens? Will losers in democratic elections feel so threatened by the victory of their opponents they will resort to extralegal means to escape defeat? Can democracies wage war and its equivalents with sufficient ferocity and avoid swallowing the liberties of their people?
Tom

Lincoln's issues are still our issues.
What is the balance between individual liberty and collective responsibility? Can democracies survive the passions of their citizens? Will losers in democratic elections feel so threatened by the victory of their opponents they will resort to extralegal means to escape defeat? Can democracies wage war and its equivalents with sufficient ferocity and avoid swallowing the liberties of their people?
Tom
07-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Tom,

That is a very impressive response and so pertinent to the future of the U.S. in today's times.
08-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Herb: would Madison be in your personal top ten for best presidents?

Bill Nash
08-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Bill,Yes,Madison did a lot in framing the Constitution!
08-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Herb: exactly. I consider him one of our greatest for that very reason. His wife was pretty cool too. Smile

Bill Nash