Exciting New Children's Book On The Way
05-23-2014, 04:08 PM
RE: Exciting New Children's Book On The Way
Kudos, Mike! Naperville was not far from where I taught (Downers Grove). If I remember correctly when I first began teaching in the 1960's there was only one traffic light in the entire town (at the corner of Ogden and Washington). How Naperville has grown!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-2014, 05:11 PM
(05-23-2014 03:23 PM)brtmchl Wrote:  To my suprise, my book was on hand.
That is so cool, Mike!!! Especially since unexpected!
05-23-2014, 05:28 PM
Congratulations, Mike! What an honor! We're all proud of you!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-23-2014, 05:36 PM
(05-23-2014 04:08 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Kudos, Mike! Naperville was not far from where I taught (Downers Grove). If I remember correctly when I first began teaching in the 1960's there was only one traffic light in the entire town (at the corner of Ogden and Washington). How Naperville has grown!

It really has grown. And the houses are beautiful.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
05-23-2014, 06:09 PM
I am going to embarrass you, Mike, but several females were in my office today when I read your post and I showed them an enlargement of the thumbnail. Comments were, "He's young. I thought he was an old guy." "Wow, he's cute." I think you have a Maryland following, and it's not because of your book now...
05-23-2014, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2014 10:31 PM by brtmchl.)
(05-23-2014 06:09 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I am going to embarrass you, Mike, but several females were in my office today when I read your post and I showed them an enlargement of the thumbnail. Comments were, "He's young. I thought he was an old guy." "Wow, he's cute." I think you have a Maryland following, and it's not because of your book now...

That's great Laurie. I usually get from my wife " he's a Lincoln nerd." Although she was suprised when she showed a student of hers the article in the paper. Her response was simply, " nice job, he's cute. Upon reflection she didn't know if the girl was saying nice job on the book or complimenting her. Tell the Marlanders I greatly appreciate it.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
05-30-2014, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 11:32 PM by brtmchl.)
My 3rd annual Lincoln assassination class at Centennial Elementary School in Bartlett, IL was a couple of days ago. This year I spoke to my wife's 5th grade class, her teaching partners's 5th grade class, and a 6th grade class. Does this also count as my first large scale book signing? Or is there a nepotism clause that applies here? I signed 50 books.

My wife's fifth grade class. And yes, I do own other shirts. She requested that I wear this.

07-13-2014, 02:22 PM
    My wife has been telling me that my cover art should be something that I have drawn. So I would love opinions as to whether I should leave the cover the way it is, use this, or convert the new drawing into sepia. While I am making changes, I have been thinking of updating the book with a few suggestions that Eva kindly gave me months ago. I want to add a review test in the back of the book and a few maps of Washington, Ford's Theatre, and the escape route. I know there are authors and bloggers who have done so and I am wondering how they went about getting the rights to use them. I would appreciate any feedback. I value the opinions on this site very highly.

07-13-2014, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2014 07:50 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
I second your wife (didn't know the old one wasn't yours), and despite this I love the new drawing, I think it's more attractive to kids. I think one needs to see the sepia version to compare. IMO the blue, yellow and purple in the "audience" are too distracting and confusing to the eyes. My exprience is that kids and students love little tasks, personally I would place them after each chapter. Also I think a task to mark places/events in a map would be quite effective.
07-13-2014, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2014 04:21 PM by BettyO.)
Love your new drawing, Mike! And I agree with your wife....would also love to see it in Sepia - you are so very, very talented.

I think that if you take, for instance, the escape route map which is in Oldroyd's book (available as a .PDF from Internet Archive) It's public domain and therefore, no problems....you may also want to check with Surratt House re: other maps -

(05-30-2014 11:05 PM)brtmchl Wrote:  My 3rd annual Lincoln assassination class at Centennial Elementary School in Bartlett, IL was a couple of days ago. This year I spoke to my wife's 5th grade class, her teaching partners's 5th grade class, and a 6th grade class. Does this also count as my first large scale book signing? Or is there a nepotism clause that applies here? I signed 50 books.

My wife's fifth grade class. And yes, I do own other shirts. She requested that I wear this.

Wow! Great photo, Mike! Thanks so very much for sharing - we're proud of you!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-13-2014, 05:53 PM
Thank you Eva and Betty, you both are so kind. Thank you for your kind words and ideas. Great tip about the maps, I will check into it and I will also send Laurie an email.

I am having trouble converting the picture into sepia. I have no idea why. I am trying using photoshop and can convert to black and white with a click of the mouse but can't seem to do sepia. My computer skills are still not great, but they are improving.

07-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Mike -

I can possibly help -- it's on it's way.....

07-13-2014, 06:18 PM
I like the new cover also, but would keep it in color. One of the big complaints that I heard about American Brutus's cover was that it was too bland for the modern person who is used to color. One comment came from a person who had worked at Borders and said that people walked past it unless they recognized the photo of Booth. They then did an experiment putting AB and Manhunt side-by-side. Manhunt won each time. That person also said that the title had something to do with it too. Scholars understood the American Brutus reference because they knew who the other Brutus was. Modern readers likely did not make the distinction. Modern readers knew right a way what a Manhunt is - they would then pick up the book to see who was being hunted.

The same title works for Alias Paine. People know that bad guys use aliases, so pick up the book and find out who was really Paine.

As far as the map is concerned, I would take the easy route that Betty suggested and get the one already in public domain. I believe that we have one on the Surratt website that you are welcome to use also (just a credit line, please).

I also like Eva's idea to have little tasks at the end of chapters while the material is fresh in their minds - and then an all-encompassing task or tasks at the end.
07-13-2014, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2014 07:05 PM by brtmchl.)
Thank you Laurie for the advice. I will see how each one looks on the cover and post them for everyone to see, also for the permission for the map. Betty , thanks again I can't wait to see it. I also liked Eva's suggestions. I think this will finally be complete in the way I am content with soon.

07-13-2014, 07:00 PM
(07-13-2014 06:51 PM)brtmchl Wrote:  Thank you Laurie for the advice. I will see how each one looks on the cover and post them for everyone to see, also for the permission for the map. Betty , thanks again I can't wait to see it. I also liked Eva's suggestions. I think this will finally be complete in the way soon

Make sure you have some young people test drive the cover also. They are the target audience. We old-timers are used to black and white and sepia tones. Youngsters are used to uber color.