Which door did Booth enter?
11-20-2012, 08:49 PM
RE: Which door did Booth enter?
It's nice to meet a young lady with the proper appreciation for history. (and that includes those of you who are young at heart.)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2012, 08:55 PM
(11-20-2012 08:49 PM)Gene C Wrote:  It's nice to meet a young lady with the proper appreciation for history. (and that includes those of you who are young at heart.)

Yes. The President is dead and so is everyone who was alive at that time. Just think how history would have ended up recording the events if people like most on this forum and others who have both come and gone before had not spent the time to research the events. Are there other ways that time could have been spent? Golf, tennis or other areas of time consumption? Sure - but for me - nothing as satisfying or as important.
11-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Ashley: you and a whole lot of other folks!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Thank you for athe kind words. I love Lincoln history can't get enough! Im glad to be part of the site to share my interest in Lincoln.
11-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Jim, when your grandmother took you to Fords, did you see Samuel Seymour?
11-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Score one for Rich! Too funny!

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
11-22-2012, 05:38 AM
(11-21-2012 10:36 PM)Rsmyth Wrote:  Jim, when your grandmother took you to Fords, did you see Samuel Seymour?

To quote Maxwell Smart....."Missed him by that much!"
11-22-2012, 10:02 AM
Somewhat on the topic but just throwing it out there as Im interested in knowing. Huh

Was the entire Theatre gutted after the collapse? What we see as the Presidential box, doors 7 & 8 etc is that the actual location on the night of the assasination, or post restoration?

Thanks,
11-22-2012, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2012 10:23 AM by J. Beckert.)
It was gutted by fall of 1865, if I'm not mistaken, Dan. The Restoration of Ford's Theater is an excellent book documenting how the shell of what was Ford's Theater was restored to it's 1865 appearance. I think the only original parts of the building are the 10 St. facade and the side walls. The NPS has some photos on their site showing the 1960's restoration. You can actually see dump trucks inside the walls.

Here's the link for the photos - http://www.nps.gov/foth/restoration-of-f...heatre.htm

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
11-22-2012, 10:32 AM
I was exchanging messages with Richard Petersen this morning, and Richard wanted me to point out that Ed Steers disagrees with Mike Kauffman's version. In Blood on the Moon there is a diagram on p. 115 that appears to show JWB stopping at door 7 and not going as far as door 8. Also, on p. 118, Ed talks about JWB pushing the door open and stepping forward after first kneeling and looking through the peephole. Ed is clearly talking about JWB entering the State Box through door 7. Richard's personal belief is door 8.

P.S. I see this is my post number 1,001. Still 250 behind the truly legendary Mr. Nash!
11-22-2012, 10:55 AM
If Booth did use the peephole, would he have to kneel? I thought it was in one of the upper panels of the door.

11-22-2012, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2012 07:26 PM by DanielC.)
Thank you for providing me with the link J. Beckert I appreciate it!!!

As an aside (and putting a CSI spin on it) if the entire area was rebuilt, Presidential Box, door location, location of furniture in relation to each other, it could possibly make a difference as to where JWB entered door 7 or 8 i'm guessing. Huh
11-22-2012, 01:21 PM
No, makes no difference........Lincoln is still dead.

Rich Smyth found an early "Washington Evening Star" account that when the government first re-fitted the interior, they built office space around the box.

The 1893 collapse started at the top floor and went all the way to the basement. My understanding was that nothing architecural was salvaged.
11-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Dave has a photo here.
11-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Thanks to Mr. Norton I am finally registered. Dec 2007 I was watching the History channel and Mr Kauffman mentioned that JWB entered door 8. Until that was said I always thought JWB entered door 7. Mr. Kauffman,s explanation was posted in the Feb 2008 edition of the Surratt Courier. Also in reviewing the National Park District historical handbook it says, "Booth silently entered the door to Box 8"
Mr. Kauffman's reply and the NPS handbook convinced me that door 8 is correct.
I have been a reader but this is my first post.