Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Springfield Tour - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Other (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Springfield Tour (/thread-969.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: Springfield Tour - Gene C - 03-14-2018 12:57 PM

Thanks Roger.

Also Planned (if time permits), but not specifically shown on the schedule will be visits to:
- Lincoln Depot and the Unfinished Mural
- Petersburg's Oakland Cemetery (Ann Rutledge Tombstone)
- Petersburg Post Office, Lincoln Mural, WPA Project from 1938
- Historic Cozy Dog Drive In
- Books on the Square
- Lincoln Family Church Pew
- Edwards Place Historic Home

RE: Springfield Tour - ELCore - 03-15-2018 03:08 PM

(03-12-2018 05:13 PM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  Hi,

Can you fly from where you are into Dayton, OH? If so, you could fly into Dayton on Wednesday, drive over to Springfield with me on Thursday, drive back with me on Sunday and leave Dayton Sunday late or Monday. You can stay with me in Troy. The airfare may be cheaper this way. Let me know. Let me know your e-mail so I can send you my phone no.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. I will consider this.

(03-12-2018 05:34 PM)Anita Wrote:  Glad you'll be joining the tour. Look forward to meeting you!
Anita

Thanks! And you.

(03-12-2018 05:41 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Me too!
Smile

Thanks. Smile Me three!

RE: Springfield Tour - Gene C - 04-15-2018 02:54 PM

Saw this interesting poster of a Springfield Tour destination location when we stopped at an Illinois Rest Stop

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/123286108526075694/

RE: Springfield Tour - Anita - 04-15-2018 04:42 PM

(04-15-2018 02:54 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Saw this interesting poster of a Springfield Tour destination location when we stopped at an Illinois Rest Stop

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/123286108526075694/

I love this! I want one of each- poster & dog!

RE: Springfield Tour - Gene C - 04-15-2018 09:01 PM

Here is a better link to the poster

http://static.neatorama.com/images/2017-03/illinois-travel-poster-1-corndog.jpg

RE: Springfield Tour - ELCore - 04-26-2018 07:46 PM

Springfield Tour 2018 is only one week away! I will be driving out with Joe Di Cola. Looking forward to seeing every one there.

RE: Springfield Tour - Anita - 04-26-2018 10:36 PM

(04-26-2018 07:46 PM)ELCore Wrote:  Springfield Tour 2018 is only one week away! I will be driving out with Joe Di Cola. Looking forward to seeing every one there.

Me too! I read the temps will warm up so I don't need a snow parka. See you soon.
Anita

RE: Springfield Tour - Gene C - 04-30-2018 08:30 AM

Here at the Springfield Tour 2018 center, we are monitoring the weather and making any possible necessary adjustments in our schedule to ensure optimum enjoyment of the time together. Thursday's forecasted thunderstorms resulting in treks through muddy farm fields may make the visitation to Ann Rutledge and Mentor Graham grave sites inadvisable. Rest assured that our highly dedicated staff are at this very moment working on alternative to those destinations. (I'm trying to encourage Dave and Scott to reenact the Lincoln - Armstrong wrestling match, but without much success)

Will keep you posted.

RE: Springfield Tour - ELCore - 04-30-2018 11:18 AM

Unfortunately, I have had to cancel my plans to attend this year.

RE: Springfield Tour - Gene C - 04-30-2018 01:09 PM

Sorry to hear this Lane, but I understand.
Hopefully you will be able to join us at a future time

RE: Springfield Tour - davg2000 - 04-30-2018 04:47 PM

Latest weather news here in delightful central Illinois (no sarcasm here--it really is 81 degrees) calls for a 60% probability of a thunderstorm. They are calling for Friday and Saturday to have highs of 77. Can't beat that.

Definitely my money is on Scott.

RE: Springfield Tour - David Lockmiller - 04-30-2018 11:07 PM

(04-30-2018 08:30 AM)Gene C Wrote:  I'm trying to encourage Dave and Scott to reenact the Lincoln - Armstrong wrestling match, but without much success.

I have a much better idea.

When the group visits the old State Capitol, someone in the group can read Lincoln's house-divided speech which was given by Lincoln on June 16, 1858 after he had accepted the Illinois Republican Party's nomination as that state's US senator. I believe that he gave the speech in the same room that he sat as a state legislator on the second floor (but ask the staff). Record the speech on an Iphone (or other smart phone) with the room in the background or in front of the Washington painting or at Lincoln's desk, if permitted to do so. Then, upload the video to YouTube. Post the location on YouTube here for all to see.

Apply the same procedure for Lincoln's Farewell speech of February 11, 1861 at the Great Western Railroad Depot.

And, the best for last, Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address to be accomplished along side the bust of Lincoln at the Lincoln Memorial. This speech was the culmination of his life and legacy.

RE: Springfield Tour - Gene C - 05-01-2018 06:54 AM

I like that idea David, especially the farewell speech. A moving tribute to his friends and community.
To do any of these justice would require a bit more preparation than we have time for on this trip.
I have a feeling you would be very good at this.
It's a good idea and is something to keep in mind for our future visits.

RE: Springfield Tour - Gene C - 05-08-2018 11:14 AM

A nice tour this year, great weather although Thursday being very windy and occasional strong thunderstorms. Fri & Sat were great with temps in the low 70's.
Crowds were not to bad, but there were a lot of school buses.
The highlight for the trip was being around some familiar friends Dave (Davg2000) and Scott (STS Lincolnite) , and two new friends, Bill (Wpbinzel) and Brian (friend of Scott's and potential new forum member) .

A special memory from Saturday on our visit to New Salem, we met Terry Jones one of the park administrators, who knew Joe Di Cola and Davg2000. He must have spent 30+ minutes with us answering questions and visiting with us. That personal touch made our visit extra special. I did notice that some of the buildings, which are 70-80 years old, have some significant depreciation and need some major repair or replacement. Getting funding from the state for needed repairs, maintenance and improvements is always a challenge.
Also on Saturday we went to a new book store "Books on the Square" where three Lincoln scholars, Guy Fraker, Brian Dirk, and George Dekle were there to sign copies of their books and talk with the group. We all purchased something. We were a bit late to the book signing, they were just about ready to leave. I was last in line to meet Guy Fraker, and we were able to talk for a few minutes about Lincoln and New Salem. A very nice gentleman.

On Friday we found the commemorative paver in honor of Roger, located in a very nice spot (photos to follow)
Scott and Bill took more photo's on our visit than I did, hopefully they can post theirs soon.

There is more to say, the time passed quickly, I'll let the others share their thoughts.
If you couldn't make it this time, rest assured we will soon be planning our next tour.

RE: Springfield Tour - RJNorton - 05-08-2018 12:23 PM

Thanks for posting, Gene. I am glad the Friday/Saturday weather was so nice. May was the month the school in which I taught had the Springfield trip for the 8th graders. We always went on a Friday. There were always lots of busses from other schools at the various sights - a very tiring (and sometimes stressful) day for the adult chaperones.