Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? (/thread-940.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - SSlater - 07-26-2013 10:43 PM

Ms Cawood. I don't like to be "picky-picky", but the information you provided is so critical to us - that we have to get it right. Your first reference said, He died 1871. Then your next four references said it was 1873. (the "Whig", the "Sun", then when you spoke of Cawood's son, and again in that same sentence). You are the only one who knows - which is correct?.

I am hunting for "Moxley's Point". I did find that it is on the Potomac, in Maryland, and somewhere between Washington and Marshall Hall, MD. That's getting close to his family home in the Piscataway area. I need to find a boating chart, for this area. Road Maps do not show that kind of information.

I'm betting that the 1871 date, is correct. (Thus, it will be easier to find the Newspaper obit.)

RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - scldrgnfly - 07-27-2013 12:53 AM

Would the Port Tobacco newspaper have anything? I was also wondering if the son, Edward just might have been sent to the grandparents for a while? ...and turn up on a census record in MD. I am not at home right now, but one, I seemed to have run across somebody living near an MD neighbor, and two, I had found one of the children of Thomas Lloyd staying with my great-great grandmother during the early years of the Civil War, when, I think, his parents felt it safe to be there. They were all reunited after the Civil War, though, with younger children added to the family

The mother and father's activities were rather interesting and tie into what I am working on.

Just wondering.....was he a Catholic, too? I know it was said, I think, but it's a bit busy for me right now.

I LOVE you guys!!!

This is solo much fun!!

Has anyone tried the GOOGLE EARTH 3D Map...it is CRAZY!! If you can download it, it makes all of the houses and shrubs pop up...Henderson the term 3D! Ha! Ha!

Walking down the streets as that little avatar is even more fun!!

My daughter and I were in DC the other day and I immediately found St. Dominick's, where both Mary Surratt and John Lloyd and his wife once attended and the corner where John Lloyd, his wife, my great aunt and Mrs. Offutt once lived together. The corner of the HUD Building is there, now.

Til next time.

Martha
(07-26-2013 10:43 PM)SSlater Wrote:  Ms Cawood. I don't like to be "picky-picky", but the information you provided is so critical to us - that we have to get it right. Your first reference said, He died 1871. Then your next four references said it was 1873. (the "Whig", the "Sun", then when you spoke of Cawood's son, and again in that same sentence). You are the only one who knows - which is correct?.

I am hunting for "Moxley's Point". I did find that it is on the Potomac, in Maryland, and somewhere between Washington and Marshall Hall, MD. That's getting close to his family home in the Piscataway area. I need to find a boating chart, for this area. Road Maps do not show that kind of information.

I'm betting that the 1871 date, is correct. (Thus, it will be easier to find the Newspaper obit.)

Would the Port Tobacco newspaper have anything? I was also wondering if the son, Edward just might have been sent to the grandparents for a while? ...and turn up on a census record in MD. I am not at home right now, but one, I seemed to have run across somebody living near an MD neighbor, and two, I had found one of the children of Thomas Lloyd staying with my great-great grandmother during the early years of the Civil War, when, I think, his parents felt it safe to be there. They were all reunited after the Civil War, though, with younger children added to the family

The mother and father's activities were rather interesting and tie into what I am working on.

Just wondering.....was he a Catholic, too? I know it was said, I think, but it's a bit busy for me right now.

I LOVE you guys!!!

This is solo much fun!!

Has anyone tried the GOOGLE EARTH 3D Map...it is CRAZY!! If you can download it, it makes all of the houses and shrubs pop up...Henderson the term 3D! Ha! Ha!

Walking down the streets as that little avatar is even more fun!!

My daughter and I were in DC the other day and I immediately found St. Dominick's, where both Mary Surratt and John Lloyd and his wife once attended and the corner where John Lloyd, his wife, my great aunt and Mrs. Offutt once lived together. The corner of the HUD Building is there, now.

Til next time.

Martha
(07-26-2013 10:43 PM)SSlater Wrote:  Ms Cawood. I don't like to be "picky-picky", but the information you provided is so critical to us - that we have to get it right. Your first reference said, He died 1871. Then your next four references said it was 1873. (the "Whig", the "Sun", then when you spoke of Cawood's son, and again in that same sentence). You are the only one who knows - which is correct?.

I meant I think I had found a Cawood in MD near one of my relatives, not a neighbor, of course. I am doing this from my phone, and even in the best of circumstances my skills are less than optimal.

RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - L Verge - 07-27-2013 02:59 PM

John,

I noticed the discrepancy also, but thought the 1871 date had to be a typo. Until I hear differently, I'm assuming that Cawood's death was in 1873.

RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - SSlater - 07-27-2013 08:39 PM

(07-27-2013 02:59 PM)L Verge Wrote:  John,

I noticed the discrepancy also, but thought the 1871 date had to be a typo. Until I hear differently, I'm assuming that Cawood's death was in 1873.

Laurie. You made my point. Only Ms Cawood can correct us.

RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - SSlater - 07-29-2013 12:36 AM

Where is Moxley's Point - where Cawood died? I have a problem. Either someone copied the name wrong, or the name has been changed. It appears that Moxley's Point is really Mockley Point, MD It is located on the South shore at the entrance to Piscataway Creek.
(The Creek runs in an East-West direction. The North side is Fort Washington Park. That will show on road maps).
This is very interesting, because Cawood's family home was at Piscataway, Md - just a wee bit east of the creek. I will do some more searching and pin-point his old home, on a readable map..
This suggests to me that when Cawood's marriage ended, between Dec. 1865 and 1867, he just went home.
Now my searching will concentrate on Prince Georges County - for a grave. I'll get a "Real Estate" map of that immediate area, and see where that goes.

(07-29-2013 12:36 AM)SSlater Wrote:  Where is Moxley's Point - where Cawood died? I have a problem. Either someone copied the name wrong, or the name has been changed. It appears that Moxley's Point is really Mockley Point, MD It is located on the South shore at the entrance to Piscataway Creek.
(The Creek runs in an East-West direction. The North side is Fort Washington Park. That will show on road maps).
This is very interesting, because Cawood's family home was at Piscataway, Md - just a wee bit east of the creek. I will do some more searching and pin-point his old home, on a readable map..
This suggests to me that when Cawood's marriage ended, between Dec. 1865 and 1867, he just went home.
Now my searching will concentrate on Prince Georges County - for a grave. I'll get a "Real Estate" map of that immediate area, and see where that goes.
Laurie. "Mockley Point" is part of the National Colonial Farm. You go down "Bryan Point Road" to the park. There is no road out the Mockley Point. Wasn't the Farm the home of E. Pliney Bryant? Now I need to find out what was Cawood doing out there?

RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - L Verge - 07-29-2013 11:28 AM

Yes, John, E. Pliny Bryan's plantation is now the National Colonial Farm - right across the river from Mt. Vernon. When you say that Cawood's home was in Piscataway, that could mean within the Piscataway District -- not the village itself. Surrattsville was in the Piscataway District until they created a new district for it in 1854.

Mr. Hall had me looking in the area around the old Marshall Hall and Ft. Washington areas for graveyards way back when. I found John C. Thompson, who ran the T.B. Hotel in 1865, buried in that area, but no sign of a Cawood. There were many forested areas, however, that I was too afraid to venture into. I know of many old family graveyards within a ten mile radius of my home right now that are abandoned and difficult to find. Most of the stones have toppled and are covered by vegetation.

I have one other source that I don't think I looked in way back when. The DAR did magnificent work about fifty years ago in identifying graveyards and interments throughout the ages in Prince George's County. The county's genealogical society assisted in printing a huge book entitled Stones and Bones giving all the information they could find. I'll check it and see what I find.

I don't know how Bryan came to acquire his farm on the river because he was raised about a mile from Surratt House - which is about ten miles from Bryan Point. I have a sneaky feeling that the Cawood family may have lived already at Mockley Point.

P.S. Please drop the "t" on Bryan when talking about Pliny - you get me so confused...

I struck out on finding a listing for any Cawood in the Stones and Bones book. However, I mentioned earlier old Marshall Hall. There is a listing for the Marshall family cemetery (dating back to the 1680s), BUT it now lies within Charles County. They listed it in the book because that portion of land originally belonged to Prince George's County. There is a possibility that Cawood's grave is in that same area, but now in Charles County. If I am not mistaken, part of the National Colonial Farm straddles the county line also.

Do we know Charles Cawood's middle name? Sometimes that can give a hint as to his mother's maiden name, etc.

RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - SSlater - 07-29-2013 10:42 PM

Laurie, Charles Hamilton Cawood. (1825 - 1871/73). His father: John Benjamin Fendall Cawood (1799- 1870). His mother: Catherine Hamilton Kendrick. (1801 - 1854). Her father: Zacharia Kendrick (1755 - 1870), Her mother: Chloe Hamilton (1779 - 1831)

The "Point". In 1880, the Maryland Fisheries Commission, moved their fish Hatchery from Fort Washington, MD (the north side, at the mouth of Pascataway Creek) to the south side (at the mouth) which was Moxley's Point. Today that point is Mockley Point. That clears up that.

If you choose - Google "Marshall Hall". Read the history. Marshall Hall fell into disfavor with the Mount Vernon Ladies Association, because they had a "Disney Land" operation with rides, swimming, etc. and SLOT MACHINES. This was a disgraceful view from Mount Vernon. If you have time, Google E. Pliny Bryan. Very difficult reading. But it tell of his history. {Laurie: When Pliny's father died, the family moved to the Surratt Tavern and stayed with friends _ where is that, I forget.}
Later,their home was on Piscataway Road in Clinton.

It is difficult to figure out who lived where, at what time. The Bryans lived further south, on the Potomac. The Manor Ruins are on the grounds of the Community College. That's almost LaPlata, MD, but they owned land up near Piscataway Creek. If anyone figures this out, please let me know. (At one time this land was owned by John Augustine Washington - from Mt. Vernon, across the river)

I'll work on this at another time. If I can, I will answer questions, now.

(07-29-2013 10:42 PM)SSlater Wrote:  Laurie, Charles Hamilton Cawood. (1825 - 1871/73). His father: John Benjamin Fendall Cawood (1799- 1870). His mother: Catherine Hamilton Kendrick. (1801 - 1854). Her father: Zacharia Kendrick (1755 - 1870), Her mother: Chloe Hamilton (1779 - 1831)

The "Point". In 1880, the Maryland Fisheries Commission, moved their fish Hatchery from Fort Washington, MD (the north side, at the mouth of Pascataway Creek) to the south side (at the mouth) which was Moxley's Point. Today that point is Mockley Point. That clears up that.

If you choose - Google "Marshall Hall". Read the history. Marshall Hall fell into disfavor with the Mount Vernon Ladies Association, because they had a "Disney Land" operation with rides, swimming, etc. and SLOT MACHINES. This was a disgraceful view from Mount Vernon. If you have time, Google E. Pliny Bryan. Very difficult reading. But it tell of his history. {Laurie: When Pliny's father died, the family moved to the Surratt Tavern and stayed with friends _ where is that, I forget.}
Later,their home was on Piscataway Road in Clinton.

It is difficult to figure out who lived where, at what time. The Bryans lived further south, on the Potomac. The Manor Ruins are on the grounds of the Community College. That's almost LaPlata, MD, but they owned land up near Piscataway Creek. If anyone figures this out, please let me know. (At one time this land was owned by John Augustine Washington - from Mt. Vernon, across the river)

I'll work on this at another time. If I can, I will answer questions, now.

PS. Laurie, why are you asking question on this. You are quoted, on Google, for providing some of the history on these cats.

RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - L Verge - 07-30-2013 11:00 AM

If this is what's on google, then once again I have been misquoted or connected to someone else's bad history. First, Hamilton is a very old name in Charles County, so maybe we can trace from there. Fendall is also an old name.

I am very familiar with Marshall Hall. The Marshall family dated to the 1700s in the area, and I remember having picnics on the grounds of the ruins of the old house. From the late-1800s to about 1970 there was a nice amusement park on the grounds - wooden roller coaster, all types of rides to get sick on, and the Wilson Line out of D.C. did daily and nightly cruises down the Potomac to drop people off at both Mount Vernon and Marshall Hall. I was on that boat and its "Moonlight Cruises" quite a few times. It was really a hopping place (as was most of Charles County) when slot machines were legal. I do agree, however, that the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association had a right to want a better view across the river - and the National Colonial Farm certainly gives them that.

As for the Bryan home, there are nothing but foundation ruins there now. However, it is about a mile back in the woods off of Piscataway Road and actually closer to Dr. Wyvill's old Burton Hall that we discussed earlier. The descendants of the Bryans would be very disturbed (and one is quite high up in state politics) to hear that the matriarch moved out of Bryan Hall and into such a plebian establishment as Surratt House! I don't know where that came from, but I will certainly check. Susannah Bryan did purchase some things from Mr. Surratt, but one of her sons remained at Bryan Hall to take care of her and the land.

Pliny owned the land that is now the Colonial Farm, and it straddles Prince George's and Charles Counties and is very near Piscataway Creek and also Ft. Washington. I know nothing about the ruins on the grounds of the College of Southern Maryland (no longer a community college) near LaPlata. The ruins of Bryan Hall off of Piscataway Road in Clinton (Surrattsville) are on undeveloped land owned by the Prince George's Community College. They have hoped for forty years to build a second campus on the property, but it hasn't happened yet. I think we're trying to mix apples and oranges here and coming up with goop.

RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - SSlater - 07-30-2013 12:07 PM

Laurie. Leave it to me to step in the goop. The text I read said that the ruins were on the Community College property, so I believed they were near the College. Another problem comes when you find that the Bryans and the Marshalls owned land that was contiguous, to the Manor site, and land that was not. The non-contiguous land actually carried its own farm name. Those families owned their farm for several generations - say 200 years, and in each generation you find the same first names. I better stop mixing fruits, and just stick with the Cawoods.
PS. You were quoted directly on only one statement, and shown in the Notes. But that makes you part of the misquotes. There is no way to get around it. Come on in the goop is fine.

RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - L Verge - 07-30-2013 01:12 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of days gone by in Southern Maryland, John. Up until tobacco allotments and then the buy-outs of farms which started in the 1960s, it was pretty standard for one family to own a number of non-adjoining farms. After the Civil War, my great-grandfather (yes, here we go again!), Joseph Eli Huntt, owned the home place in T.B. with about 400 acres adjoining it; about a quarter-mile north, he owned a second, smaller farm (I think it was called the Woodlands); and he owned a 300-acre farm a mile southeast that was named Mary & Martha. Not only did he own the store and casket shop directly in the heart of T.B., but he owned a 600-acre farm named Gwynn Park that abutted the village. Finally, there was a farm about five miles away called The Vineyard. This amount of land stretched over miles gives you a good example of why tenant farmers and sharecroppers were so important up through the mid-1900s.

My grandmother inherited the home place and 400 acres as well as the family store and shop (which became a rental home), the Mary & Martha farm, and another 300-acre+ farm in St. Mary's County that came to her via her husband. This woman had a sixth-grade education, but she sure knew how to manage property. My mother inherited from her, but had to sell the 400 acres of woodland and the St. Mary's County farm in order to pay the estate taxes - the Lord giveth, but the government taketh away. Except for the 4.5 acres that the home place sits on, the last piece of property left our hands in 1988.

I'm sure that many of you can share similar stories and also ones about the intermarriage among prominent families and the joining of properties that can confuse the heck out of researchers.

I forgot to add: Locate Chapman's Landing near Indian Head in Charles County to see how near it is to some of these places on a nautical map. Years ago, there was a researcher from North Carolina who had a strong lead about Confederate agents using Chapman's Landing as one of their "go to" places.

RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - SSlater - 07-30-2013 11:57 PM

(07-30-2013 01:12 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Welcome to the wonderful world of days gone by in Southern Maryland, John. Up until tobacco allotments and then the buy-outs of farms which started in the 1960s, it was pretty standard for one family to own a number of non-adjoining farms. After the Civil War, my great-grandfather (yes, here we go again!), Joseph Eli Huntt, owned the home place in T.B. with about 400 acres adjoining it; about a quarter-mile north, he owned a second, smaller farm (I think it was called the Woodlands); and he owned a 300-acre farm a mile southeast that was named Mary & Martha. Not only did he own the store and casket shop directly in the heart of T.B., but he owned a 600-acre farm named Gwynn Park that abutted the village. Finally, there was a farm about five miles away called The Vineyard. This amount of land stretched over miles gives you a good example of why tenant farmers and sharecroppers were so important up through the mid-1900s.

My grandmother inherited the home place and 400 acres as well as the family store and shop (which became a rental home), the Mary & Martha farm, and another 300-acre+ farm in St. Mary's County that came to her via her husband. This woman had a sixth-grade education, but she sure knew how to manage property. My mother inherited from her, but had to sell the 400 acres of woodland and the St. Mary's County farm in order to pay the estate taxes - the Lord giveth, but the government taketh away. Except for the 4.5 acres that the home place sits on, the last piece of property left our hands in 1988.

I'm sure that many of you can share similar stories and also ones about the intermarriage among prominent families and the joining of properties that can confuse the heck out of researchers.

I forgot to add: Locate Chapman's Landing near Indian Head in Charles County to see how near it is to some of these places on a nautical map. Years ago, there was a researcher from North Carolina who had a strong lead about Confederate agents using Chapman's Landing as one of their "go to" places.

Laurie. Chapman's Landing is in Chapman's State Park. Indian Head, MD. on Potomac River Western Charles County. Once owned by Nathaniel Chapman. House is called Mount Aventine. I haven't run into any Spy stories that mention Chapman's Landing. PS. To find more contact Smallwood State Park.

RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - RJNorton - 08-01-2013 06:58 AM

Thank you to Kim Cawood for sending this information.

[Image: cawood2000.jpg]

[Image: cawood2001.jpg]

[Image: cawood2002.jpg]

RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - k.cawood - 08-01-2013 08:15 AM

Thank-you for posting this for me Mr. Norton.
Sorry members the year I wrote in my previous post of 1871 was a typo. Charles H. Cawood died in 1873. Refer to News articles.

RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - Gene C - 08-02-2013 07:26 AM

So what did Charles Cawood do that has everyone so interested in him?
Steers Encyclopedia mentions he and Mosby were directed to help Thomas Conrad on his secret mission to capture Lincoln in September of 64', mainly with crossing the Potomic. Any evidence linking Conrad with Booth or Surratt?

RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - L Verge - 08-02-2013 09:04 AM

That's what Mr. Hall, Gen'l Tidwell, Dave Gaddy, and others have been trying to figure out for forty years, Gene. Somewhere there may be family stories, letters, journal entries, etc. still in the hands of descendants.