Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Show us your Lincoln collectables! - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Abraham Lincoln's Legacy (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Show us your Lincoln collectables! (/thread-85.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - Rob Wick - 12-16-2012 02:45 PM

(12-16-2012 01:38 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Yes, JFK probably rates high because of his handling of the Cuban missile crisis.

Bill,

I seriously believe Kennedy's ranking comes because of his assassination, and because of those surrounding him who wrote hagiographic works on him. I once had the opportunity to meet Arthur Schlesinger Jr., and asked him if books like his have contributed to an inflated sense of who Kennedy was, and his reply was "if they have, the stern eye of history will take care of it." Something about that answer has always bothered me.

Best
Rob

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - LincolnMan - 12-16-2012 02:49 PM

Perhaps then more time must pass before JFK's ranking can be scrutinized more accurately?

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - Rob Wick - 12-16-2012 02:56 PM

I think so. And I think that rankings change over time. When Harry Truman left the White House, he was heartily disliked by a number of people and his presidency was considered by some to be a failure, yet today many look at him differently. Same is true of Gerald Ford. I can remember when he pardoned Nixon and how that basically cost him the 1976 election. Now, many say doing so was the best thing that could have happened to the country. Still not real sure about that, but I can understand why some would say that.

Best
Rob

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - LincolnMan - 12-16-2012 08:40 PM

Yes, I too remember negative statements about President Ford's pardon of Nixon. As you say, I think people consider now that it was a good thing overall.

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - Gene C - 12-16-2012 09:18 PM

One of the good things Nixon did was sign the National Cancer Act in 1971. He ordered Ft Detrick, the army's biological warfare facility, into a cancer research center. Many of the advancements in battling cancer can be attributed to his "War on Cancer".

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - LincolnMan - 12-17-2012 10:16 AM

Is it still active as a research center today?

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - Gene C - 12-17-2012 11:30 AM

I don't know.

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - Laurie Verge - 12-17-2012 01:45 PM

Yes, it is. Ft. Detrick is about an hour from Surratt House and was a center for biological warfare experiments from 1943 until 1969. It is still a medical research center for that, but dealing more in prevention than experimentation, I think. Nixon's cancer research center there is now known as the National Cancer Institute-Frederick.

There has been a lot of controversy with residents of the town over the past decade because of the high incidents of cancer within communities that live close to the post. Many claim the air and water has been contaminated by the warfare experiments for years.

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - LincolnMan - 12-18-2012 09:41 AM

That sure doesn't sound good!

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - LincolnMan - 12-22-2012 09:24 AM

[Image: photo7e5b83677ae475d46b.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just thought I'd share this unique item with everyone. I was given a napkin box cover that is a log cabin. A friend gave it to me as a Christmas gift and said that it was a "Lincoln log cabin." How neat!

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - LincolnMan - 02-16-2013 09:33 PM

[Image: photo199a4de0db4f6a404e.jpg]

Not sure how "collectable"
this sheet music is. I've never heard of the tune. Nice drawing of young Lincoln.

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - Craig Hipkins - 02-17-2013 10:13 PM

Bill,
Almost looks like it's made of Lincoln Logs!Wink

Craig

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - LincolnMan - 02-18-2013 07:35 AM

Yes it sure does!

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - LincolnMan - 02-19-2013 08:22 PM

[Image: photobb1dd0aef26d847cbf.jpg]

Do you notice anything kind of strange about this ite
m?

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - Gene C - 02-19-2013 08:37 PM

(02-19-2013 08:22 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Do you notice anything kind of strange about this item?

They give JFK the credit for the quote???? Big Grin