Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivia of a different "type" - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivia of a different "type" (/thread-72.html)

Trivia of a different "type" - Rob Wick - 07-14-2012 06:53 PM

What is the significance of this typewriter? To be correct, you have to tell exactly what it did.

[Image: 023htq.jpg] Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Best
Rob

RE: Trivia of a different "type" - RJNorton - 07-15-2012 05:15 AM

Well, Rob, I really don't know. But I do know some of your major interests. As I mentioned in another thread I have been to Connemara. That was three years ago, and in all honesty, I think I saw some typewriters there, but at the moment I don't recall if I saw this particular one.

Therefore, I will guess it is a typewriter owned by Carl Sandburg. I simply cannot imagine one single typewriter holding up for all the keystrokes of the 6 volume set. I will guess a Sandburg typewriter, but I have no idea how many of his writings/poems might have been written on it. I'll go out on a limb and say just The Prairie Years were written using it?

RE: Trivia of a different "type" - Rob Wick - 07-15-2012 08:00 AM

Roger,

Close enough to win. It is a Remington #6 typewriter owned by Sandburg when he worked for the Chicago News. He wrote about 1/4 of The Prairie Years on it plus some of his Rootabaga Stories as well. It's at Galesburg.

Wish I could tell you you've won something spectacular, but my prize budget has been slashed to the bone.

Best
Rob

RE: Trivia of a different "type" - RJNorton - 07-15-2012 09:10 AM

Rob, I hear you. I still have several friends from my teaching days still living in Illinois, and I keep getting these really scary e-mails from them dealing with the pension crisis going on there. Vicki and I live on Illinois teacher pensions. We're somewhat unnerved, to say the least.

RE: Trivia of a different "type" - Rob Wick - 07-15-2012 10:52 AM

Roger,

I have a good friend who worked for 20-plus years with the Illinois Department of Corrections who will retire this year. He's hoping that the state won't change his pension. Already, those going into it now are going to have to work much longer than he did to get their pension.

Best
Rob

RE: Trivia of a different "type" - LincolnMan - 07-28-2012 08:47 AM

Roger: that guess that Sandburg used it on The Prairie Years is amazing!

RE: Trivia of a different "type" - RJNorton - 07-28-2012 10:13 AM

Bill, we had seen some typewriters when we visited Connemara, and that's what led to the guess. If you are ever near Flat Rock, NC I highly recommend it. My memory is there is some walking involved, but the area, views, and scenery are just beautiful. The next time we visit our daughter in SC we will probably go a second time. It's really a "must see" if you are ever in the vicinity.