Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - AussieMick - 07-27-2021 06:59 PM

Marx was a bit of a political shaper (he was always certain he was correct and wanted to tell everybody what was happening ) ... I was thinking of Engels in Liverpool where he worked for Daddy's cotton business , exploiting workers, and supported Marx's cigar habit by sending him pocket money ... Marx is buried in Highgate cemetery.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 09-11-2021 03:45 PM

When Abraham Lincoln wrestled Jack Armstrong the residents of New Salem made bets on the outcome. In total the residents used 4 different entities to make their bets. Three of these were knives, trinkets, and money. What was the fourth?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Anita - 09-11-2021 04:19 PM

Alcohol or a pig?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 09-11-2021 04:26 PM

Wow, that went quickly - kudos, Anita!!

Yes, betting alcoholic drinks was the fourth entity that was used for wagering on the wrestling match.

[Image: fight.jpg]
Harold von Schmidt drew this image of the wrestling match for Esquire in 1949.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Anita - 09-13-2021 01:02 PM

What is the connection between pantaloons, California, New Salem and Lincoln?
I'm looking for the name of a person.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 09-13-2021 02:35 PM

Joe Di Cola's excellent book on New Salem mentions that James Short moved to California. Am I on the right track?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Gene C - 09-13-2021 04:21 PM

since Woolworth's and K-Mart no longer sell pantaloons you will be relieved to know their is a store called "Pantaloons"
Unfortunately after visiting their web site looking for clues, I looked, but could not find where they actually sold any Pantaloons.

I need another clue - Huh

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Anita - 09-13-2021 05:43 PM

Well Gene, you'll need to have them custom made by James "Uncle Willie" Short's sister.

Roger, yes you are correct!! Joe's book on New Salem is also my source. Can you explain the four
the connections?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 09-14-2021 04:47 AM

Anita, I might need a hint as I do not know.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - AussieMick - 09-14-2021 05:48 AM

Using Roger's answer of James Short led me to the info .... from Google. ... that he first met Lincoln in New Salem when his sister pointed him out. She had made some pantaloons for him. Lincoln fell into debt and Short helped him ..... later , Short went to California and got into trouble and Pres Lincoln helped him.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Gene C - 09-14-2021 06:46 AM

Shame on me, I should have turned to Joe's book on "New Salem"

https://www.amazon.com/New-Salem-History-Lincolns-Mater-ebook/dp/B06XRN2PHZ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=joseph+di+cola+new+salem&qid=1631615069&s=books&sr=1-1

An interesting note regarding him, in Joe's book you will find that "Uncle Jimmy" was very kind to Lincoln, helping him out when his surveying equipment and horse were sold at auction to pay on Lincoln's debt. (Uncle Jimmy bought them back) At a time when people didn't have much money, this was an extremely generous thing to do.
The photo of James Short is taken later in his life when he is an older gentleman with gray or white hair. The reality is, James and Lincoln were close to the same age, he was only about three years older than Lincoln.

If you don't already have it, Joe's book is a great addition to your Lincoln library.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Anita - 09-14-2021 10:28 AM

Roger, you guessed James Short and that was the answer!

Yes Mike, you connected the dots!

Gene, thanks for adding the great kindness "Uncle Jimmy" did for Lincoln. During the gold rush "Uncle Jimmy" took wagons out to the California gold fields and fell on hard times. President Lincoln helped his old friend by appointing him an Indian agent in Mendocino County but Short was suspended in 1863. pg. 46 New Salem-A History of Lincoln's Alma Mater, by Joseph M. Di Cola.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 12-03-2021 11:19 AM

What is the date (month, day, and year) of Abraham Lincoln's final visit to the Old Soldiers' Home?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Anita - 12-03-2021 01:19 PM

April 13, 1865

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 12-03-2021 01:39 PM

You nailed it, Anita!! Good job!

https://www.washingtonian.com/2021/12/03/you-really-should-check-out-lincolns-cottage/