Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 06-08-2021 03:08 PM

No, sir. Remove two generations from her (Just like Booth's first attempt to cross the Potomac, you went the wrong way!) and think of a male family member who's name is a tip of the hat to Old Abe himself.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 06-08-2021 03:34 PM

Lincoln Isham.

Eva, I think Tad gave the pen to his tutor. However, I am not 100% certain of that.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 06-08-2021 03:49 PM

(06-08-2021 03:34 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Lincoln Isham.

Eva, I think Tad gave the pen to his tutor. However, I am not 100% certain of that.
I think you are right on both (Isham and tutor...) I deleted my guess (Tad) as I had overlooked Joe's latest hints.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 06-08-2021 05:24 PM

You've nailed it, Roger! Lincoln Isham, Lincoln's great grandson (1892-1971), eventually settled on a 22 acre farm near Dorset, Vt, the next town north of Manchester. He gifted the hat to a friend who owned The Dorset Inn and it was returned to Hildene in 1984. It's amazing it's still in the pristine condition it is, because for years it was displayed by simply putting it out in the open air on a table and returned to a closet at night. I was told once by a docent at Hildene that it's believed to be the hat he wore to Gettysburg, but I have no clue where that information came from.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 06-22-2021 10:28 AM

During the time in which the Lincolns lived at the Globe Tavern Abraham often went outside to get water in the evenings. Sometimes a crowd gathered around him listening to his stories. On occasion this activity would continue for hours, and Mary developed a certain signal that it was time for him to come back to their room on the second floor. What did Mary do to indicate to Abraham that it was time to come in?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 06-22-2021 04:40 PM

Hint #1: The answer can be found online.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Anita - 06-22-2021 05:07 PM

"She would cough to signal that she wanted him to return to their room; sometimes he ignored her coughing till after midnight."Michael Burlingame, "Abraham Lincoln: A Life Vol. 1, Chapter 7

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 06-22-2021 05:47 PM

Kudos, Anita!! That is correct.

I used a different online source:

"Their room (they had only one to themselves) was on the second floor at the front
of the house. The pump was in front of the house. It was Lincoln’s habit to come down at bedtime to get a pitcher of water. He always came after partly undressing
being usually attired only in shirt and breeches minus suspenders, though sometimes his “galluses” were worn improperly adjusted After getting his pitcher of water if the night was pleasant, he would sit down on the steps of the porch, and tell stories to whoever happened to be near. If any one passed they stopped to listen also, and frequently there would be quite an audience gathered round him, listening attentively to his remarks. When it began to grow late, Mrs. Lincoln would begin to cough as a signal to him to cease talking and go to bed. When she began to cough it was understood by his listeners that it was growing late. In this way he was inconsiderate. He sometimes kept her coughing until midnight or after."

SOURCE: Interview with William Gabriel Beck in For The People

https://abrahamlincolnassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/2020-Summer-FTP-final-6-4-2020.pdf

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - AussieMick - 07-06-2021 06:42 AM

How did young Lenin's career have a parallel with a very similar event in Lincoln's early life?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 07-06-2021 08:38 AM

No idea...wild guess...did Lenin get kicked in the head by a horse?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Gene C - 07-06-2021 10:39 AM

Both had an unsuccessful career in retail, they both found something useful in a box (barrel) of used goods. Lincoln found law books, Lenin found an old guitar ?

Which reminds me of a song by the Beatles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJQtozWKCyg

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - David Lockmiller - 07-06-2021 12:14 PM

(07-06-2021 08:38 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  No idea...wild guess...did Lenin get kicked in the head by a horse?

When Lincoln became conscious, he finished the sentence he was working upon when he got kicked in the head by the horse.

(07-06-2021 10:39 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Both had an unsuccessful career in retail, they both found something useful in a box (barrel) of used goods. Lincoln found law books, Lenin found an old guitar ?

Which reminds me of a song by the Beatles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJQtozWKCyg

Great words and graphics.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Steve - 07-06-2021 03:21 PM

By spelling the name "Lenin", I'm assuming you mean the totalitarian dictator and not the musician...

Lincoln lost his mother as a young boy and Lenin lost his father as a teenager?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - AussieMick - 07-06-2021 04:31 PM

The answers are a lot better than the question. .... but wrong.
I won't drag this out beyond a day.

Hint ... both Lenin and Lincoln worked as .... ? (I don't think you're going to get the "event " , it's too obscure )

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 07-06-2021 04:38 PM

Ferry boat operators?