Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - AussieMick - 04-20-2018 05:45 PM

It was "Zulu", Roger.

And, yes, Steve, absolutely correct. In fact , "All Sir Garnet" as they used to say in the British Army meaning 'Everything is correct' (he was apparently a stickler for efficiency ... but I'd have another name for him because I think he was a nasty piece of work ... still, I guess it was different times then).

He wrote a book on the Civil War. Full of his own Brit opinions ... but, maybe, thats what many of those books are.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Steve - 04-20-2018 06:07 PM

(04-20-2018 05:45 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  It was "Zulu", Roger.

And, yes, Steve, absolutely correct. In fact , "All Sir Garnet" as they used to say in the British Army meaning 'Everything is correct' (he was apparently a stickler for efficiency ... but I'd have another name for him because I think he was a nasty piece of work ... still, I guess it was different times then).

He wrote a book on the Civil War. Full of his own Brit opinions ... but, maybe, thats what many of those books are.

I wouldn't have been able figure it out without Roger knowing what Michael Caine film was being referred to.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - AussieMick - 04-20-2018 06:37 PM

(04-20-2018 06:07 PM)Steve Wrote:  
(04-20-2018 05:45 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  It was "Zulu", Roger.

I wouldn't have been able figure it out without Roger knowing what Michael Caine film was being referred to.

He was (IMO) a typical Brit officer. Born in Ireland he was more British than someone born in England, falling over himself to show what a good loyal Brit he was and steeped in military warfare (Fort Pillow ? nothing unusual happened there, old boy!).
He did change his views later , but he was still obnoxious IMO.
From the Introduction of his book ...
He ‘saw the Confederate struggle as one for country and liberty, and advantageous to England and Europe in cutting down to size the arrogant American republic.’
The American Civil War : An English View

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 01-17-2019 02:47 PM

See if anyone can guess this without looking it up.

160 years ago today Robert Lincoln went to the C. M. & S. Smith Store (dry goods) in Springfield and purchased something for $.75?

What did Robert buy for 75 cents?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Susan Higginbotham - 01-17-2019 02:52 PM

A hat?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 01-17-2019 03:01 PM

Very logical guess, Susan, but it wasn't a hat.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 01-17-2019 03:26 PM

Some shaving equipment?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Rob Wick - 01-17-2019 03:40 PM

160 years ago would have been 1859, and that is the year RTL went to Harvard, so I'm going to guess a suitcase for the trip.

Best
Rob

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 01-17-2019 03:57 PM

Eva and Rob, those are sure logical guesses; however, not correct.

Hint #1: Rob's guess is on the right track; the answer is something a person would carry for a specific reason.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - AussieMick - 01-17-2019 04:55 PM

something for Mary ? ... I'm sure thats correct (Ok Ive said that before here and been wrong) ... just cannot recall what.

Handkerchief? for Mary.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 01-17-2019 05:05 PM

Good thinking, Michael, but it's not a handkerchief. I am not sure which family member it was for; it's something that is used by both men and women.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - AussieMick - 01-17-2019 05:38 PM

A diary ?

no, no ... a pen?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 01-17-2019 06:48 PM

Nope, it was not a diary or a pen.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 01-17-2019 08:09 PM

An umbrella?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - AussieMick - 01-17-2019 10:35 PM

Cough drops?