Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 10-20-2015 05:04 AM

I'm off the contest as I couldn't resist to resort to the Google. But can't either resist to say what I found reminds me of:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6MvoeIPasuA

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 10-20-2015 05:18 AM

Good enough, Eva! It was called the Nine Gal Tavern and was located in Mahomet, Illinois. The proprietor named his business after his 9 red-headed daughters.

Some of the artifacts from the tavern are still in existence:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:JV5k23fnLxkJ:www.mahometdaily.com/newmd/nine-gal-tavern-artifacts-donated-to-museum-of-the-grand-prairie/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Eva, you win one free drink at the Nine Gal Tavern!

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 10-20-2015 05:53 AM

Great, thanks! (Maybe served by a red hot guy?)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 10-30-2015 11:05 AM

Who is credited with coining the phrases "Father of His Country" and "First in War, First in Peace, and First in the Hearts of His Countrymen" to describe George Washington?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 10-30-2015 01:54 PM

James Madison?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Joe Di Cola - 10-30-2015 02:11 PM

For the 2nd quote I believe it was Lighthorse Harry Lee, the daddy of R.E. Lee.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 10-30-2015 03:47 PM

According to my source, Joe, Lighthorse Harry Lee uttered both of those phrases during his funeral eulogy to Washington.

I award you top scholar accolades and a trip to Virginia to view lovely Stratford Hall, birthplace of Robert E. Lee that his pappy squandered away. And right down the road from there is Pope's Creek Plantation (earlier known as Wakefield) where Washington was born. The home there has been reproduced. Within about fifty-mile radii (is that a word?) of those homes are the homes of numerous other statesmen and Presidents.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 01-23-2016 08:51 AM

Literally - what is this?
[attachment=2121]

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Gene C - 01-23-2016 09:14 AM

Looks like an aerial view of a roof.

Is this the secret club house where John Brown, Harriett Tubman, Noble Larner and Snidley Whiplash used to meet, smoke cigars in front of a big fire and play parcheesi while plotting the take over of the Orlando, FL arsenal (close to Disneyworld), but they later changed their plans?
Big Grin

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 01-23-2016 09:28 AM

I agree with Gene. Is it an aerial view of either the Mudd house or the Garrett house (before it collapsed)?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 01-23-2016 10:24 AM

Gene and Roger, you are right as for the roof (the top...), but neither specific guess (Mudd/Garrett) is correct.

Hint #1: It's a current picture.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 01-23-2016 10:44 AM

The Petersen House?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 01-23-2016 10:47 AM

Good guess, Roger, locally closer, but not correct either - please notice the lawn and path!

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Thomas Kearney - 01-23-2016 12:32 PM

It looks like the courtroom at Fort McNair!

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 01-23-2016 02:57 PM

Why do I not see the lawn and path? I was going to guess the H Street boardinghouse until you responded thusly.