Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 05-18-2015 07:28 PM

I used to hate it when my students would hit me with one of those "what if" questions, but I'm going to present one anyhow: What do you think would have happened (in the country as a whole) if John Breckinridge (the runner-up) or John Bell (second runner-up) had won the 1860 election?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 05-27-2015 03:58 PM

What was the fifth most populated area in the Confederacy in late-1864?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Gene C - 05-27-2015 04:09 PM

I don't know, but I'll guess Petersburg, VA and half of them were Yankees
Smile

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 05-27-2015 04:21 PM

Excellent guess, but not correct.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - PaigeBooth - 05-27-2015 06:27 PM

(05-27-2015 03:58 PM)L Verge Wrote:  What was the fifth most populated area in the Confederacy in late-1864?

I will guess the Andersonville Prison area (Macon County, GA) ???

By 1864, Andersonville Prison was holding the largest prison population of its time (which I believe was due to the halt of the prisoner exchange??) If memory serves me correctly, I remember reading that by 1864, some 1,000 men died daily at Andersonville from either starvation or disease.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 05-27-2015 06:59 PM

Good lord, child, I never expected anyone to get this right! An A++ and a bushel of Georgia peaches to you.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - PaigeBooth - 05-27-2015 07:20 PM

(05-27-2015 06:59 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Good lord, child, I never expected anyone to get this right! An A++ and a bushel of Georgia peaches to you.

Thank you so much, Laurie! We Southern gals need to stick togetherWink

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 05-27-2015 07:38 PM

(05-27-2015 07:20 PM)PaigeBooth Wrote:  
(05-27-2015 06:59 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Good lord, child, I never expected anyone to get this right! An A++ and a bushel of Georgia peaches to you.

Thank you so much, Laurie! We Southern gals need to stick togetherWink

Amen to that! Ya hear that Brother Beckert?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 06-01-2015 10:43 PM

I heard it, Varina. Time to drag out the greasy carpet bag.....

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 06-20-2015 05:31 AM

I think this will be a challenge. Tradition has it that it was at Chatterton's Jewelry Store where Mary's wedding ring was purchased in 1842. The words "Love Is Eternal were engraved in the ring. (It has also been reported that the entire inscription read "A.L. to Mary, Nov. 4, 1842. Love is Eternal.")

However, Chatterton himself did not do the engraving. One of his employees actually did this work.

Who engraved the words "Love is Eternal" in Mary's wedding ring?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Joe Di Cola - 06-20-2015 09:11 AM

(06-20-2015 05:31 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  I think this will be a challenge. Tradition has it that it was at Chatterton's Jewelry Store where Mary's wedding ring was purchased in 1842. The words "Love Is Eternal were engraved in the ring. (It has also been reported that the entire inscription read "A.L. to Mary, Nov. 4, 1842. Love is Eternal.")

However, Chatterton himself did not do the engraving. One of his employees actually did this work.

Who engraved the words "Love is Eternal" in Mary's wedding ring?

Was it Isaac Curran? It seems to me I saw this once in an issue of the Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society, but now I can't locate the copy.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 06-20-2015 09:37 AM

Wow, Joe, I never thought this question would get correctly answered on the first day. Kudos - it was indeed Curran (who later left Chatterton's and began his own jewelry shop on the square).

You win a free 15 minute shopping spree in Curran's Jewelry Shop.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 06-20-2015 09:43 AM

Found a photo of him here:
https://books.google.de/books?id=TcaBBgAAQBAJ&pg=PA16&lpg=PA16&dq=general+Isaac+B.+Curran&source=bl&ots=wJqcJWBRVY&sig=y2TZ7iu6xRfhJXESAcEAiLgH1F4&hl=de&sa=X&ei=V1KFVcvaMsm2sQGYzZiICw&ved=0CBEQ6AEwAg
...(wow, Lincoln appointed him to Germany,) plus the following info on another site:

Isaac B. Curran was a prominent citizen in Lincoln's Springfield. His store here on the south side of the square was a popular gathering place for Lincoln's political opponents. Curran arrived as a young silversmith from Ithaca, New York in 1840. He worked at Chatterton's for several years (where he supposed engraved Mary's wedding ring), before setting up his own shop in competition with his former employers. Curran was only married a year when his young bride died. He did not remarry for twenty-five years, living much of that time in the rooms above his store. He associated with Stephen Douglas and became his point man here at home whenever the famous Senator attended Congress. One Democratic governor appointed Curran Quartermaster General; another made him chief of staff. He lost his appointment as a federal pension official when Douglas had a falling out with President James Buchanan. Lincoln appointed Curran to a wartime diplomatic post in Germany. Hair braiding became an improtant art in making certain jewelry items in Lincoln's era. Elaborate hair wreaths were hung on walls to memorialize loved ones. Brooches and funeral jewelry made from the hair of the deceased became common aspects of Victorian mourning customs. In 1860, Curran hired a Miss Summers -- a "celebrated hair braider" -- to work in his store. "Hitherto persons requiring such work have been compelled to send the hair to New York," Curran noted. "Now it can be done here at a great saving of cost." Miss Summers boasted of 280 patterns embracing breastpins, earrings, bracelets, fob-chains, watch guards, and finger rings. Curran promised that his "good taste, aided by that of the artiste, will insure the most graceful and fashionable work."
http://www.bguthriephotos.com/graphlib.nsf/keys/2009_IL_Springfield

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 06-20-2015 09:47 AM

Wow, thanks, Eva, for posting all this information. You get to join Joe in the free shopping spree. Plus I know Kiel Week is beginning, and the forum sends all best wishes for your enjoyment. We hope for good weather in Germany.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 06-20-2015 11:27 AM

Thanks, Roger, that is very kind.