Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 11-05-2014 06:20 AM

This will be a challenge I think. Although I cannot find the two men ever met, there is a connection between this man and Abraham Lincoln. Who is he, and what is the connection?

[Image: whomhim.jpg]

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 11-05-2014 11:03 AM

I have no clue - maybe Abraham Lincoln wrote him a letter?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 11-05-2014 11:05 AM

This is a tough one, Eva.

Hint #1: It has to do with something people wear.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 11-05-2014 11:17 AM

Did he make a piece of Lincoln's (or Mary's) wardrobe? A stovepipe hat? The rubber boots Bud Taft got for A. L.?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 11-05-2014 11:23 AM

Hint #2:

[Image: 1089.jpg]

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 11-05-2014 12:45 PM

Who was Lincoln's bootmaker?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Anita - 11-05-2014 02:34 PM

Is it Burt or Willard who made Lincoln's folding spectacles?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 11-05-2014 03:05 PM

Hint #3: The single incident involving Lincoln and this man happened during the time Lincoln was President-elect: November 6, 1860 - March 4, 1861.

P.S. Laurie's guess so far is closest. Anita's guess is on the right track, but for a totally different reason.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 11-05-2014 04:08 PM

The man (Willard?) who lent Lincoln his carpet slippers because his feet were hurting??

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 11-05-2014 04:20 PM

Close enough, Laurie. Kudos!! When Lincoln was staying at the Willard (same name used by Anita but a different person) Hotel he needed to borrow some slippers. Willard knew that his own slippers were too small, so he asked William Czar Bradley if Lincoln could borrow his slippers, and Bradley was happy to oblige. The photo in my question is William Czar Bradley.

http://www.mrlincolnswhitehouse.org/inside.asp?ID=184&subjectID=4

Laurie, you win a beautiful pair of glass slippers!

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 11-05-2014 04:54 PM

That was a hard one, Roger (kudos, Laurie)! I am still trying to figure the meaning of hint #2 out...

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 11-05-2014 05:07 PM

I was trying to put slippers in peoples' minds. That is the Grand Duke from the Disney movie Cinderella. I have wondered why those slippers have high heels.

[Image: Cinderella4.jpg]

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Anita - 11-05-2014 05:17 PM

Good job Laurie. Enjoy your prize. Now all you need is a Prince!

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 11-05-2014 05:18 PM

Thanks - I thought it was General Burnside, but didn't get a connection. I have never seen the Disney movie.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 11-05-2014 05:22 PM

(11-05-2014 05:17 PM)Anita Wrote:  Good job Laurie. Enjoy your prize. Now all you need is a Prince!

I'll pass on the prince, Anita. Been there, done that, survived, and am leaving all that behind after all these years...