Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 07-17-2014 09:24 PM

(07-15-2014 11:20 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  I also once read the story with Lincoln (literally quoted) excusing himself for being that absent-minded and chatting and laughing with Mary afterwards.

I found what I was thinking of, but I confused it with another account by Emilie Todd Helm: “One evening Bob and I were playing checkers. Mr. Lincoln was looking thoughtfully into the fire and apparently did not hear what Mary was saying. Finally a silence. Mary put down her piece of embroidery and said, ‘your silence is remarkably soothing, Mr. Lincoln, but we are not quite ready for sleep just yet.’ As Mr. Lincoln did not seem to hear, Mary got up and took his hand, ‘I fear my husband has become stone deaf since he left home at noon,’ she said. ‘I believe I have been both deaf and dumb for the last half hour,’ replied Mr. Lincoln, ‘but now you shall not complain’; and he launched into an anecdote of one of his clients which broke up the game of checkers and left us all speechless with laughter."

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - LincolnToddFan - 07-18-2014 12:50 AM

Thanks Eva E., I love that anecdote.

Emilie Todd Helm was Mary's sister, but she had no real motivation to make up sugar stories about her. Especially as they became estranged during the war and sadly, never wrote or saw one another again.Undecided

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 07-24-2014 05:29 AM

Abraham Lincoln was known for his love of animals. At New Salem he spent time playing with two kitties. When he was elected to the state legislature in 1834 he left strict instructions that the cats be well taken care of. What were the names of the two cats?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 07-24-2014 07:17 AM

I have no idea, but remember your list here:
http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium/thread-131-page-8.html?highlight=kittens
Since Tabby was a "White House cat", I'll take a wild guess on Susan and Jane?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 07-24-2014 07:24 AM

Brilliant, Eva! Lincoln loved them both and thought Jane had the better countenance. You win very best wishes for a wonderful day!

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 07-24-2014 08:19 AM

Thank you, Roger!
(07-24-2014 07:24 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Lincoln loved them both and thought Jane had the better countenance.
Where can I read about this? (Never heard of them but the names on your list.)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 07-24-2014 08:25 AM

Eva, go here.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - LincolnToddFan - 07-24-2014 02:51 PM

Awww...I knew about Susan and Jane! If only I had signed on earlier, I could have won!Wink

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 08-07-2014 04:24 AM

Whose diet was this?

"...he called for oysters for a stew...the pan with the oysters was set on the charging dish in front of him...he reached for the salt cellar and dumped the whole content into the oysters: then off with the top of the tin pepper box, and in that went, followed by the whole contents of the mustard pot, the liquor of the home grown pepper sauce bottle, and finally all the vinegar in the cruet. He stirred all together, boiled up, and then calling for pickles,...he swallowed down the whole, without crackers with relish..."

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 08-07-2014 05:01 AM

Ward Hill Lamon?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 08-07-2014 05:13 AM

Very good guess, Roger (I would have guessed Lamon, too), but, sorry, not correct.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 08-07-2014 05:23 AM

Judge Thomas C. Browne?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 08-07-2014 06:08 AM

Another good guess, Roger, but not he.
Hint 1#: It was someone who had known A. L. since New Salem days.

Hint #2: Actually he saw Lincoln the first time in 1832, when he (Lincoln) was piloting the "Talisman" up the Sangamon River.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Rogerm - 08-07-2014 09:28 AM

Was it Jack Armstrong?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - tblunk - 08-07-2014 09:53 AM

How about Bowling Green?