Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - LincolnMan - 07-06-2014 07:16 AM

(07-05-2014 06:12 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I think this question could have two answers. Mrs. Garfield established a library in her husband's memory after his death, but I think Truman's was the first established under the 1955 act that sanctioned Presidential Libraries. I believe that Truman liked the idea that FDR had generated by creating his library with the holdings at Hyde Park and this led to the official act of establishment.

Laurie:
You are correct. The answer is complicated. FDR is also another choice- and so is Hayes. I was thinking Garfield when I posted the question. No simple answer on this one.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - LincolnMan - 07-12-2014 08:24 PM

Quote: "In her domestic troubles I have always sympathized with Mrs. Lincoln. The world does not know what she bore, or how ill- adapted she was to bear it. Her fearless, witty, and austere nature shrank instinctively from association with the calm, imperturbable, and simple ways of her thoughtful and absent- minded husband."

Who wrote this?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 07-13-2014 04:43 AM

Isaac Arnold? I think it was (someone) in the course of the insanity trial.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 07-13-2014 05:03 AM

Dr. Anson G. Henry?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - LincolnMan - 07-13-2014 05:22 AM

Eva and Roger: good guesses but incorrect. By way of a hint I will say that it was written by a male and he is probably someone you might not expect.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 07-13-2014 05:42 AM

Herndon?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - LincolnMan - 07-13-2014 07:02 AM

Eva: exactly right- William Herndon. The quote is from his book Life of Lincoln.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 07-13-2014 07:44 AM

(Is it worth some more good wishes for the soccer game tonight?)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - LincolnMan - 07-13-2014 07:47 AM

Yes! So far it has worked!

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 07-13-2014 07:58 AM

Thanks Bill!

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - LincolnMan - 07-13-2014 03:12 PM

And so, William Herndon seemed to have some empathy towards Mrs. Lincoln. I note that he refers to Lincoln as "absent-minded." It makes me pause for a moment. I have not viewed him that way? Wonder what evidence Herndon might have had for that?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - LincolnMan - 07-13-2014 06:12 PM

Eva: promised and delivered!

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 07-13-2014 07:52 PM

First class delivery, Bill, fantastic, THANK YOU!!! I LOVE the prize!!!
[attachment=771]

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 07-15-2014 11:20 AM

(07-13-2014 03:12 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I note that he refers to Lincoln as "absent-minded." It makes me pause for a moment. I have not viewed him that way? Wonder what evidence Herndon might have had for that?
Bill, I was so "absent-minded" the other day that I overread your question.

One "story" (most likely - I think - this is what Herndon refered to) was told by Margaret Ryan to Jesse Weik on Oct. 27, 1886.

Mrs. Ryan once "saw Mrs L. strike L. on head with piece of wood while reading paper in South Parlor — cut his nose".

In at least two books (can't check in where right now) I read that Mary asked her husband to tend the fire because she was busy with the kids, he didn't react being absorbed in reading, so she hit him as the fire went out. I also once read the story with Lincoln (literally quoted) excusing himself for being that absent-minded and chatting and laughing with Mary afterwards. I don't know what or if at all the authors had other sources than the M. Ryan interview above or embellished the rest.

Very representative for A. L.'s "absent-mindedness" is IMO the following "circuit incident" told by Henry C. Whitney:
“One morning, I was awakened early – before daylight – by my companion sitting up in bed, his figure dimly visible by the ghostly firelight, and talking the wildest and most incoherent nonsense all to himself. A stranger to Lincoln would have supposed he had suddenly gone insane. Of course I knew Lincoln and his idiosyncracies, and felt no alarm, so I listened and laughed. After he had gone on in this way for, say, five minutes, while I was awake, and I know not how long before I was awake, he sprang out of bed, hurriedly washed, and jumped into his clothes, puts some wood on the fire, and then sat in front of it, moodily, dejectedly, in a most sombre and gloomy spell, till the breakfast bell rang, when he started, as if from sleep, and went with us to breakfast. Neither Davis nor I spoke to him; we knew this trait; it was not remarkable for Lincoln.”

No idea whether Herndon knew of this account, it's from Allen Thorndike Rice's "Reminiscences of Abraham Lincoln : by distinguished men of his time" (1886). I like this book, you can download it here:
https://archive.org/details/reminiscenceso2251rice

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - LincolnToddFan - 07-15-2014 02:32 PM

(07-13-2014 03:12 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  And so, William Herndon seemed to have some empathy towards Mrs. Lincoln. I note that he refers to Lincoln as "absent-minded." It makes me pause for a moment. I have not viewed him that way? Wonder what evidence Herndon might have had for that?

Thanks Bill!

I don't know what made WH describe MTL's nature as "austere". From all descriptions she sounded turbulent, emotional, impulsive, extravagant and unstable.

The very opposite of an austere nature or personality. It confirms my belief that Hendon did not know Mary's true self very well at all.