Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Gene C - 06-17-2014 07:02 AM

I'd wager (oops) it was a way for her to give Mary something that was close to her heart. Now that she will be the First Lady, a subtle reminder to keep her focus on the things that are truly important

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Dave Taylor - 06-19-2014 11:28 PM

As you can probably see from my blog, I've been on a bit of a Booth family kick lately. In that vein, I've got an extremely difficult trivia question that I'll probably have to give the answer to in the end as I doubt it's in any book. Still, I thought I'd challenge some of the other Booth people here, like Joe Beckert or Carolyn Mitchell.

My trivia question:

In the Booth family, who was Flora?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 06-20-2014 12:35 PM

The only mention of a Flora I could find is a letter to Edwin from a Flora M. Lawson, but I have no clue who she is.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Dave Taylor - 06-20-2014 12:39 PM

(06-20-2014 12:35 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  The only mention of a Flora I could find is a letter to Edwin from a Flora M. Lawson, but I have no clue who she is.

Good researching, Joe, but that is not the Flora I am thinking of. The Flora I'm talking about is a member of the Booth family.

Hint: Flora had a close relationship with one of the Booth sons.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Carolyn Mitchell - 06-20-2014 06:41 PM

(06-20-2014 12:39 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  
(06-20-2014 12:35 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  The only mention of a Flora I could find is a letter to Edwin from a Flora M. Lawson, but I have no clue who she is.
t
Good researching, Joe, but that is not the Flora I am thinking of. The Flora I'm talking about is a member of the Booth family.

Hint: Flora had a close relationship with one of the Booth sons.

Okay I'm totally stumped. I wanna say it's Rosalie Ann Booth but not so sure. I'm still researching this...fascinating!Tongue

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 06-20-2014 06:59 PM

According to a theatre collection at Tulane University, there was a Flora Parker who worked in productions with June Booth in New Orleans in 1880???

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Dave Taylor - 06-20-2014 07:02 PM

Still no correct answer.

Hint: The Booth son Flora was close to was Joseph.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 06-20-2014 07:27 PM

Was Flora Joseph's first wife? She died during childbirth and so did the child. Cora was his second wife. Flora & Cora?? That would be wild...

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Dave Taylor - 06-20-2014 07:39 PM

(06-20-2014 07:27 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Was Flora Joseph's first wife? She died during childbirth and so did the child. Cora was his second wife. Flora & Cora?? That would be wild...

Good guess but no. Joseph's first wife was named Margaret Cecilia Hatfield.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - LincolnMan - 06-20-2014 08:57 PM

What famous actor was named after a Confederate officer- and is actually related to the officer? Who was the actor? Who was the Confederate officer?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 06-20-2014 08:57 PM

Okay, it's time for wild stabs...

First guess: One of the Mitchell cousins that he might have been close with?

Second guess: One of his pets. Flora sounds like one of those naturalist terms that his father would have approved of.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Dave Taylor - 06-20-2014 09:08 PM

(06-20-2014 08:57 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Second guess: One of his pets. Flora sounds like one of those naturalist terms that his father would have approved of.

DING DING DING! Very nicely done, Laurie. And I was this close to giving the final clue of "Gene C. would get along great with Flora". Flora was Joseph Booth's pet dog.

In an 1875 letter, Mary Ann Booth writes to Edwina about her uncle's pet:

[Image: flora-booth.jpg]

Wonderful guessing, Laurie.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 06-20-2014 09:22 PM

Maybe I should stop reading and researching and just spend my time guessing! Is that another sign of old age?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Carolyn Mitchell - 06-21-2014 12:07 AM

Congrats Laurie! Boy was I way off ... Smile

Dave, do you have copy of that letter or where would I find it?

That was fun.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Dave Taylor - 06-21-2014 12:15 AM

You can download a PDF of the whole letter here, Carolyn:

http://alplm-cdi.com/chroniclingillinois/items/show/8210

As I emailed to you a few days ago, The Taper Collection has MANY Booth family letters, including several from your favorite, Mary Devlin Booth. It's a treasure trove of Booth materials. Enjoy:

http://alplm-cdi.com/chroniclingillinois/items/browse?collection=3