Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 04-10-2014 01:34 PM

I started to pose this as a question, but I figured it was either too hard for most of us or too easy for the Lincoln scholars. The Smithsonian magazine in November of 2013 carried a short article on Mr. Lincoln's famous stovepipe hats. First, I did not realize that those top hats likely were spawned by the 17th-century version known as a steeple, or sugarloaf hat. They were then influenced by soldiers' headgear and grew in popularity until, by the early-1800s, they had become symbols of prestige and authority.

Some historians think that Lincoln began wearing the top hat early in his political career as a gimmick. There is a report from the reformer Carl Schurz that he first met Lincoln on a train in the 1850s, en route to one of the debates with Douglas. He described Lincoln's tailcoat as shabby and his top hat as crumpled. Some people reported the same dented hat at the Cooper Union speech in February of 1860, but Harold Holzer disputes that because on the very day of the speech, Mr. Lincoln bought a new top hat from Knox Great Hat and Cap at 212 Broadway in NYC.

At the 1860 Inaugural, he wore a different design - a lower silk plush hat that was in fashion. But, by 1864, he was wearing a stovepipe; that design stayed in style for at least a decade after his assassination.

Now for the information that I was going to pose as a question: What size was the top hat that Lincoln wore to the theater on April 14, 1865? It was a silk top hat, size 7-1/8, from the Washington hatmaker J.Y. Davis. He had added a black silk mourning band in memory of son Willie.

A quote from Harold Holzer: "Hats were important to Lincoln: They protected him against inclement weather, served as storage bins for important papers he stuck inside their lining, and further accentuated his great height advantage over other men."

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 04-10-2014 02:01 PM

I thought it was beaver skin?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 04-10-2014 02:09 PM

And there's our trivia question: Was the hat that Lincoln wore to Ford's Theatre that night a beaver top hat or a silk top hat?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 04-10-2014 02:11 PM

I'll say beaver skin. How many points is this worth?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 04-10-2014 03:21 PM

Not enough to let you win...

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 06-03-2014 05:07 AM

On August 4, 1845, Abraham Lincoln had to have his buggy repaired. What was the amount of the repair bill?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Lincoln Wonk - 06-03-2014 07:33 AM

(06-03-2014 05:07 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  On August 4, 1845, Abraham Lincoln had to have his buggy repaired. What was the amount of the repair bill?

Roger, I'm stymied on the repair bill, but I do know how President Lincoln was able to read bills. When he was 48, he purchased his first pair of reading glasses at a jewelry store for 37 ½ cents.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 06-03-2014 07:42 AM

Thanks, Kathy. I have read about those glasses but didn't know how much they cost!

The repair bill for the buggy was higher.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Lincoln Wonk - 06-03-2014 08:43 AM

(06-03-2014 07:42 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Thanks, Kathy. I have read about those glasses but didn't know how much they cost!

The repair bill for the buggy was higher.

I bet. Was it $1.25?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 06-03-2014 09:07 AM

I guess 3$?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 06-03-2014 09:09 AM

Still higher, Kathy, and lower, Eva. Eva is much closer.

Hint #1: As far as I know only one Lincoln book has the exact amount Lincoln paid the carriage repairman. Once anyone can think of what book I am talking about it will take less than 10 seconds to find this answer. Also, there is a website where the answer can easily be looked up.

The prize for this is a free win ticket in any amount of your choice on Old Bob in this Saturday's Belmont Stakes. (Can Old Bob beat California Chrome?)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 06-03-2014 09:24 AM

I'll guess $2.75? Whatever the amount, I'm sure it was nothing equal to the $740.80 I just shelled out yesterday for car maintenance!

Don't know about Old Bob, but I sure hope no modern horse can beat California Chrome - what a gorgeous animal.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 06-03-2014 09:33 AM

What was wrong with the carriage? Laurie's gonna be real mad if Lincoln paid less than $3 to have a tie rod replaced.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 06-03-2014 10:36 AM

Laurie's guess is too low and Eva's is too high.

Joe, I don't know the exact nature of the problem with Lincoln's buggy, but he needed to go back on October 25th of the same year for $.19 worth of additional repairs.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 06-03-2014 10:40 AM

You are darn tooting, but my bill also included new brakes, rotors, and assorted other maintenance things. Did a buggy in those days have hand brakes or was "Whoa, Nellie" (or Bob) what worked?

Remember that John Lloyd was able to temporarily fix Mrs. Surratt's rented buggy while a bit inebriated. Wonder what he would have charged? What about the Atzerodt brothers? They were in the carriage business too.