Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 03-03-2014 07:50 PM

Being you're asking - yes! (The subliminal hint worked!)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 03-18-2014 01:16 PM

All Lincoln fans know that he ordered the work to continue on completing the Capitol dome when the Civil War began. In 1863, the job was nearly complete with the placing of the Statue of Freedom atop the dome. However, that was not the original name of the sculpture. What was the name given to it in Lincoln's time?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 03-18-2014 06:14 PM

Hint #1 - "Freedom" is the first word, not the last.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 03-18-2014 07:46 PM

Freedom triumphant—in Peace and War.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 03-18-2014 09:12 PM

Excellent, Mr Beckert, your A+ for the day. I could not help thinking how confident the Union was about winning the war to make such a "prediction" in 1863.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 03-18-2014 09:33 PM

Thanks. I cheated because I wanted to get your question out of the way to make room for mine.

One of the most memorable images in the Second Inaugural photo, aside the the fact that Booth may have been captured there, was the white table Lincoln used to hold his Bible and a glass of water.

What was it made of?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Gene C - 03-18-2014 10:55 PM

It's not very comfortable. I made a deal with Mr. Lincoln, he could have the table if he left me the sofa.

http://www.abrahamlincolnsclassroom.org/img/fido.gif

Fido

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Anita - 03-19-2014 04:06 AM

The table was made of iron with a wooden top. Thanks for posting this Joe. I especially like the story of how it came to be spray painted white for Reagan's inauguration! http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/capitalcomment.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 03-19-2014 07:19 AM

That's it, Anita. I never knew the table still existed before I saw it on my son's Washington class trip last fall and was surprised to learn it was made with scrap iron from the Capitol dome.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Lincoln Wonk - 03-19-2014 02:02 PM

The Lincolns must have liked that store. They bought their wallpaper there too.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 04-04-2014 01:59 PM

Only the Bible sold more copies than this book in the 19th century. What book was it?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Linda Anderson - 04-04-2014 02:04 PM

Uncle Tom's Cabin?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Gene C - 04-04-2014 02:16 PM

Ben Hur

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 04-04-2014 03:16 PM

(04-04-2014 02:04 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  Uncle Tom's Cabin?

Absolutely - and I didn't realize that it has been translated in over 70 languages.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 04-04-2014 11:25 PM

I read it was extremely popular especially in Italy.