Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Rogerm - 12-23-2013 03:52 PM

There ought to be a Lincoln biography or two published in Haitian Creole. In 1804, Haiti became the first black republic in the Western Hemisphere, comprised mostly of former slaves, to win its independence.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Gene C - 12-23-2013 04:35 PM

(12-23-2013 03:14 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  It's not a Chinese biography, but in 1931 Tarbell corresponded with Yaichi Akiyama about his Japanese biography of Lincoln, so if it's possible, I'd like to exchange my prize for that. Smile

Best
Rob

Wow, I wish I had known. I was in Barnes and Noble the other day and I could have picked you up a copy. They're probably all sold out now Big Grin

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Rob Wick - 12-23-2013 05:22 PM

Figures, Gene. I could have used a chimichanga too.

Best
Rob

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 12-23-2013 06:30 PM

(12-23-2013 03:14 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  It's not a Chinese biography, but in 1931 Tarbell corresponded with Yaichi Akiyama about his Japanese biography of Lincoln, so if it's possible, I'd like to exchange my prize for that. Smile

Best
Rob
No problem, Rob, as you like it! It's Xmas! Or you join Gene for a chimichanga at the Chimichanga in Lincoln, Lincolnshire. (Frost would probably say: "And I have miles to go before I eat...")

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 01-09-2014 06:45 PM

Consider "taking trivia to the top" as an understatement regarding the following question, I hope you'll forgive me...But feel free to cheat.

Today, Jan. 9, would have been the 160th birthday of this Lady:
[attachment=376]
She grew up in Brooklyn, and watched Lincoln's funeral procession passing her house.
Who is she?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 01-09-2014 07:02 PM

Jenny Jerome, Winston Churchill's mother? And yes, I cheated.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 01-09-2014 08:16 PM

Well cheated, Laurie!

The Jeromes lived at 8 Amity Street (since renumbered as 197), Cobble Hill.
She was a talented amateur pianist, and was tutored by a friend of Chopin, Stephen Heller. At the age of 20, she married Lord Randolph Churchill, the third son of John Winston Spencer-Churchill, 7th Duke of Marlborough, at the British Embassy in Paris. They became engaged within three days of their initial meeting!

Laurie, you win the last volume of Winston Churchill's "A History of the English-Speaking Peoples". A full one-third of this volume ("The Great Democracies") was devoted to the American Civil War.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 01-09-2014 08:27 PM

Does that book discuss the cotton deals? I want to know more about the cotton deals.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Jenny Jerome Churchill gave birth to Winston in a public bathroom while attending a public function??? My apologies to the Churchills if I imagined that...

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 01-10-2014 05:54 AM

Laurie, Snopes researched this here. Looks like it was more of a cloakroom rather than bathroom.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 01-10-2014 09:22 AM

Laurie, I'm afraid the book doesn't deal with the cotton deals, you will instead learn about:
Slavery and Secession; Union in Danger; Campaign Against Richmond; Lee and McClellan; Chancellorsville and Gettysburg; Victory of the Union.

But it has pretty good reviews on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/History-English-Speaking-Peoples-Vol-Democracies-ebook/product-reviews/B00CMC2SLI/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 01-30-2014 05:57 PM

Surratt House has a program on February 8 entitled "Fighting Old Nep." Who can tell me what that phrase from our earlier days referred to?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Rogerm - 01-30-2014 06:42 PM

Does it have to do with fighting nepotism?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 01-30-2014 07:28 PM

Since I live at the sea, this sounds to me as if Nep stands for Neptune. Does it have to do with seafaring? Or some kind of sea monster (like Moby *****)? [I've never known this word also has a vulgar meaning!]

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 01-30-2014 07:41 PM

So far, everyone's first guess at Surratt House has been a reference to nepotism, but it has nothing to do with politics. Eva's guess that it might refer to Neptune is correct, but it has nothing to do with the sea.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Anita - 01-30-2014 11:04 PM

Does it refer to Douglass describing fighting his mother's dog old Nep, for his share of crumbs that fell from the table?