Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 11-02-2013 10:40 AM

It's said that a central figure in the assassination saga could speak not two or three, but eight languages! Who was it?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 11-02-2013 12:03 PM

Hint # 1 - This person is probably the least like figure surrounding the assassination - even now.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 11-02-2013 01:10 PM

My brain is foggy on this, Joe, but did I see that in Weichmann's book?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 11-02-2013 01:38 PM

Charles Sumner (was at least present at the deathbed)?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 11-02-2013 01:39 PM

Probably, but I found it in Lloyd Lewis' book, Roger. I was surprised to learn that. That comes via his sister, who also stated he was shot at twice in the years following his testimony. You're not as dusty as you think. Good job!

We posted at the same time Eva, but that was a good guess. I know Ward Hill Lamon had a low opinion of Sumner. He once told Lincoln he couldn't defend himself from an assault by any able bodied woman in the city.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 11-02-2013 01:51 PM

Who is this gentleman and how is he linked to Lincoln?
[attachment=274]

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Linda Anderson - 11-02-2013 02:46 PM

John Williams. He wrote the score for the movie "Lincoln" which I love. I saw him perform at Tanglewood with James Taylor a couple of years ago and they both were great.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 11-02-2013 06:09 PM

Very good, Linda! When Roger posted the image of another Lincoln-related John Williams on the previous page this JW crossed my mind. IMO, he would have deserved to win the Oscar for the Lincoln soundtrack.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Dave Taylor - 11-04-2013 11:22 PM

I'm getting real trivial here so I apologize in advance.

Who was Margaret Roundtree?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 11-05-2013 05:50 AM

Very wild guess. I have no clue. Mrs. Carter's girls at The Trappe were Mattie, Molly, Sarah, and Agnes. So perhaps another "waitress" worked for Mrs. Carter whose name was Margaret Roundtree?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Dave Taylor - 11-05-2013 09:37 AM

You certainly get points for creativity, Roger, but Margaret Roundtree was not an employee of Mrs. Carter.

Hint: Roundtree was her maiden name. She was married to someone in the assassination story.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Dave Taylor - 11-05-2013 04:54 PM

No guesses, huh? Hint #2: Her husband's grave was previously marked with a cedar stob.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 11-06-2013 06:04 AM

Thomas Jones?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Dave Taylor - 11-06-2013 10:28 AM

Correct, sir! Margaret Roundtree was Thomas Jones' second wife after Jane Harbin. Jones and Roundtree had one child together born in 1880.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 11-08-2013 01:28 PM

(11-02-2013 10:40 AM)J. Beckert Wrote:  It's said that a central figure in the assassination saga could speak not two or three, but eight languages! Who was it?
Do you know which languages?

This account for the entertainment of the Illinois State legislators was once (during the time A.L. served as a member) presented three days after an important occasion. What was the occasion?

Colonel Dawson to E. Crapps, Dr.:
Drinks - 6.00
32 pounds almonds - 8.00
14 pounds raisins - 10.00
Cigars - 10.00
Oysters - 10.00
Apples - 3.00
Eatables - 12.00
Breakage - 2.00
Sundries - .5
Total - $ 223.5