Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 10-02-2013 07:26 PM

Anita gets the A+. Rogerm is close behind because both Gettysburg and Antietam were considered first, but no one ever took the initiative to get the project going.

I don't have the answer to this one, but how many Civil War National Military Parks are there in the U.S.?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Anita - 10-02-2013 07:41 PM

okay I've had it with this shutdown. I went to search your question and got this:

Because of the federal government shutdown, all national parks are closed and National Park Service webpages are not operating. For more information, go to http://www.doi.gov.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Gene C - 10-02-2013 07:59 PM

Now that they know how to do a shut down, I just wish they'd learn to shut up

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 10-02-2013 08:06 PM

Gene - You just earned a PhD from me for that comment!

Anita - Since I live twelve miles from the D.C. line, I'm enjoying the shut down because rush hour traffic is greatly reduced! We also had a good amount of visitors at Surratt House today because Ford's Theatre and the monuments are closed. We even had two visitors from Australia and most of the others were from out of state. However, I routinely get breakfast in the drive-in at McDonald's and am usually the second or third car in line. Today, those who usually get breakfast closer to their work in D.C. beat me to the line, and I was about car #10.

As for how many National Military Parks: I found out that there are National Military Parks - 9; National Battlefield Parks - 3; and National Battlefields - 11 pertaining to the Civil War. There is no guarantee that those figures are accurate, however.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Rob Wick - 10-20-2013 09:38 AM

This one might be simple, but here goes.

What is this building?

[Image: jis8.jpg]

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Joe Di Cola - 10-20-2013 01:38 PM

The Old State Capitol as they were removing the extra story that had been added after Lincoln's time, and also as they were getting ready to restore the building as it was when Lincoln was alive.

Sorry we ran out of time and did not get to tour that site other than see it from the outside. Perhaps, the next time we get together.

Joe

(10-20-2013 01:38 PM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  The Old State Capitol as they were removing the extra story that had been added after Lincoln's time, and also as they were getting ready to restore the building as it was when Lincoln was alive.

Sorry we ran out of time and did not get to tour that site other than see it from the outside. Perhaps, the next time we get together.

Joe

I also note the new parking area, and other spaces being added below the building.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Rob Wick - 10-20-2013 02:42 PM

You are correct Joe. Great job! Even though I'm a strong supporter of battlefield preservation, I always use the Old State Capitol as evidence that the meaning of an event can still remain, even though the physical nature of the location is long gone. The inside of the building was completely rebuilt in the 1960s and in the area where Lincoln made his "House Divided" speech, the room has been wired for sound, as that is where naturalization ceremonies are held.

Best
Rob

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 10-25-2013 10:13 PM

A blood relative of a conspirator eventually became a painter of some renown. Who was this person?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 10-26-2013 05:07 AM

Wild guess. I know George Atzerodt painted carriages, and I realize you are talking about a different kind of painting. But I'll guess "ol' George."

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Eva Elisabeth - 10-26-2013 06:59 AM

I, too, guess and doubt Atzerodt for the same reasons as Roger does, and I'm VERY curious what painter/painting that will be (if it is a painting)!! Or did that relative paint a famous sight (like the Golden Gate Bridge)?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 10-26-2013 11:58 AM

Sorry Eva and Roger, it's not George. This person became a painter of landscapes and such.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 10-26-2013 12:23 PM

I am splitting my guess between Dr. Mudd and Sam Arnold, but leaning more towards Mudd. I know that he has a great-grandson who is a local artist and painted a portrait of Dr. Sam that hangs in the parlor at the Mudd house.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 10-26-2013 02:05 PM

O.K. - I'll split my answer too. No and no.

Hint # 1 - This person died in 1957.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 10-26-2013 02:25 PM

Edwin Booth Grossman?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 10-26-2013 02:28 PM

Bingo, Roger.

[Image: 40605451_125013121277.jpg]

[Image: H0143-L00727868.jpg]

He looks nothing like a Booth, but he appeared to be a talented artist.