Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 07-09-2013 03:31 PM

One of U.S. Grant's sons?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 07-09-2013 03:45 PM

I am sorry, Joe, but it's not him. This person's name is very obscure.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 07-10-2013 05:13 AM

Hint #2: He was shot during the Civil War and was declared unfit for service at the front.

Hint #3: He was assigned to the War Department and saw Lincoln almost daily.

Hint #4: Quite by accident he was out walking on April 14 and saw Abraham and Mary's carriage go by as they headed to the Navy Yard during their last ride together.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Gene C - 07-10-2013 07:58 AM

Could it be someone who worked at the telegraph office of the War Dept?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 07-10-2013 08:25 AM

Did he have a relative that was actually at the Navy Yard when Lincoln arrived?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 07-10-2013 08:40 AM

Joe, I am not entirely sure, but I don't think so. He did not mention this in the reminiscences he wrote.

Gene, in his reminiscences, he says he worked in the War Department but does not specifically say what his job was.

Hint #5: My source is out-of-print, was published in 1922 by Scribner & Co, and the Amazon page says "limited availability."

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - JB Banning - 07-10-2013 01:02 PM

Out of print, yes. But it can be found on the internet.

Joe

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 07-10-2013 01:58 PM

I cannot think of any further clues on this one. The answer is Thomas S. Hopkins who wrote "A Boy's Recollections of Mr. Lincoln" which was published in 1922. The Amazon page I referred to is here.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Gene C - 07-10-2013 03:08 PM

Congratulations Roger!

Your prize for successfully stumping the experts here on the forum is 50% off the admission to Lincoln's New Salem Historic Park, when several of the forum members get together this coming Oct 10-12 to visit the Lincoln sites in and around Springfield, IL Yes, you can walk where Lincoln walked, visit the reconstructed buildings in the village where Abraham Lincoln experience so many life changing events, and even play on the swing set in the parks campgrounds. You will be able to meet new friends and visit with old acquaintances.

But wait, there's more. Do to our generous nature, we now able to double, that's right, double this fantastic offer. That's right you can get two, fifty percent off, that's 50% off, the normal admissions price to this wonderful, historic and educational park.

For those of you haven't signed up yet, there is still room. For those of you who think it's to far to drive, I understand they have a nice airport. Just call ahead so we can get the cows off the runway.

http://www.lincolnsnewsalem.com/

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 09-13-2013 06:26 AM

On July 13, 1859, Abraham Lincoln walked into the C. M. & S. Smith store in Springfield and bought a pair of suspenders. How much did he pay for the suspenders?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Joe Di Cola - 09-13-2013 09:03 AM

(09-13-2013 06:26 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  On July 13, 1859, Abraham Lincoln walked into the C. M. & S. Smith store in Springfield and bought a pair of suspenders. How much did he pay for the suspenders?

75 cents

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 09-13-2013 09:10 AM

Right, Joe! HA! (as Betty O. would say). Joe, I told my wife at breakfast this morning a prediction that Joe Di Cola was among the betting favorites to correctly answer the trivia question I just put up. As Joe Beckert would say, "What do I win?"

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 10-02-2013 05:24 PM

What was the first Civil War battlefield to be designated a National Military Park?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Rogerm - 10-02-2013 05:59 PM

Was it the Gettysburg battlefield?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Anita - 10-02-2013 06:54 PM

Is it Chickamauga and Chattanooga?