Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 04-08-2013 07:39 PM

A half point or a half pint of Jack. Whatever you prefer.

I think I confused Horace Greeley with Noah Brooks as Lincoln's theater companion. I think it was Brooks who said he and Lincoln would sometimes sneak into a theater after the performance started and sit in the back unnoticed.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Gene C - 04-08-2013 07:45 PM

Is this the same John Brown of Harpers Ferry fame?

I thought Greeley was a newspaper guy, and was a problem to Lincoln?
So is the correct answer Brooks instead of Greeley?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 04-08-2013 08:42 PM

Same John Brown. From what I know about Greeley, he was hot and cold with Lincoln, but Lincoln knew his influence was important.

The correct answer is Horace Chase. I confused Greeley and Brooks.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 04-09-2013 12:09 PM

During the first part of the inaugural train trip, Abraham Lincoln had worn what was described as a shocking bad hat and a very thin, old overcoat. By the time the train reached Utica, NY, Mary Lincoln had seen enough. She had observed the shabbiness of her husband compared to the well-groomed politicians they had met along the way. Something must be done before the train reached New York City. Mary asked someone to get her husband a better looking overcoat and new hat. This was accomplished, and Lincoln looked much better. Whom did Mary ask to get these upgraded clothes for Abraham?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 04-09-2013 12:50 PM

Horace Greeley?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 04-09-2013 12:55 PM

Sorry, Joe, but it wasn't him.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 04-09-2013 01:05 PM

Horace Chase?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 04-09-2013 01:08 PM

You are correct in that the right answer is a male, but that's about it.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Laurie Verge - 04-09-2013 02:15 PM

Ward Hill Lamon?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 04-09-2013 02:18 PM

This is driving me batty because I know I've heard the story......

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 04-09-2013 02:19 PM

Sorry, Laurie, but it wasn't him.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 04-09-2013 02:44 PM

Hint #1: Lincoln first met this man in Springfield.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 04-09-2013 03:07 PM

Hint #2: This man's exact birth year is unknown, but it was c.1835. Thus he was in his 20's when he obtained the clothes for president-elect Lincoln on the inaugural journey.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Laurie Verge - 04-09-2013 03:18 PM

Ellsworth?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Gene C - 04-09-2013 03:18 PM

John Hay?