Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Laurie Verge - 04-04-2013 04:37 PM

Who introduced President Lincoln to speak at the Gettysburg Dedication?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 04-04-2013 07:42 PM

Pennsylvania Governor Andrew Curtin?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Laurie Verge - 04-05-2013 09:57 AM

That would seem logical, Joe, but no. Hint: It was a longtime friend of Lincoln.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 04-05-2013 10:02 AM

After that hint, Laurie, I will guess Ward Hill Lamon.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Laurie Verge - 04-05-2013 01:19 PM

You are absolutely correct, Mr. Norton. A+ for the day.

I learned that just yesterday when one of my volunteers handed me a copy of the Shepherdstown [WV] Chronicle of 2/1/2013, which had an article on Sal's and ninabeth's film "Saving Lincoln." Why was a small town newspaper interested? Ward Hill Lamon was a native son of West Virginia (starting of course when it was still part of Virginia).

Lamon was born in 1828 in Summit Point, grew up in Bunker Hill (then Mill Creek), lived in Martinsburg, and is buried in Gerrardstown. The log cabin where he lived from age two to age 18 still stands in Bunker Hill. In 1846, he moved to Danville, Illinois. He became an attorney on the 8th circuit court and ultimately a law partner with Abraham Lincoln from 1852-1856. He returned to West Virginia after Lincoln's death and established law offices in both Martinsburg and Gerrardstown.

Over the years, I have wondered what the correct pronunciation of LAMON is. I have always said LAY-MON. Mr. Hall and others pronounced it LUH-MON, with emphasis on the last syllable. According to the reporter who did this story, the daughter of Ward Hill Lamon pronounced it like the fruit - LEMON.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Dawn E Foster - 04-05-2013 01:46 PM

(04-05-2013 01:19 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  Over the years, I have wondered what the correct pronunciation of LAMON is. I have always said LAY-MON. Mr. Hall and others pronounced it LUH-MON, with emphasis on the last syllable. According to the reporter who did this story, the daughter of Ward Hill Lamon pronounced it like the fruit - LEMON.

Thanks, Laurie, I 've wondered about that too. I always feel so dumb when I realize that I've only ever read a name (or word) and have no idea how to actually pronounce it, if the opportunity should ever arise.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 04-08-2013 09:47 AM

Lincoln gave an artifact to a fellow politician that supposedly once belonged to a controversial man of the era. What was it and who was the original owner?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Laurie Verge - 04-08-2013 11:14 AM

OMG - I think the Yankee's gonna win this one!

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 04-08-2013 11:47 AM

I've had too many thrashings not to be gun shy, but I'm still trying!

Hint # 1 - The politician who was presented this item by Lincoln was originally from Vermont.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 04-08-2013 12:54 PM

Hint # 2 - The recipient of this item had the same last name as a member of Lincoln's Cabinet.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Laurie Verge - 04-08-2013 01:39 PM

OK Team - that hint narrows it down to someone named Seward (who was from New York), Fessenden (Maine), Chase (New Hampshire), McCulloch (Maine), Cameron (Pennsylvania), Stanton (Ohio), Bates (Missouri), Speed (Kentucky), Blair (Kentucky/Maryland?), Dennison (Ohio), Welles (Connecticut), and Smith (Indiana). Which name matches a politician originally from Vermont?

My first guess on this was the artifact had something to do with John Brown and that the politician was Montgomery Blair, because he was asked to be part of Brown's defense, I believe. The Vermont connection, however, doesn't pan out. The Vermont politicians during Lincoln's term have names of Morrill, Foot, Royce, Baxter, and Collamer.

This Yankee is gonna win unless someone can see a connection that I don't see.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Joe Di Cola - 04-08-2013 02:04 PM

(04-08-2013 01:39 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  OK Team - that hint narrows it down to someone named Seward (who was from New York), Fessenden (Maine), Chase (New Hampshire), McCulloch (Maine), Cameron (Pennsylvania), Stanton (Ohio), Bates (Missouri), Speed (Kentucky), Blair (Kentucky/Maryland?), Dennison (Ohio), Welles (Connecticut), and Smith

If from Vermont, was it Stephen A. Douglas?

(04-08-2013 02:04 PM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 01:39 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  OK Team - that hint narrows it down to someone named Seward (who was from New York), Fessenden (Maine), Chase (New Hampshire), McCulloch (Maine), Cameron (Pennsylvania), Stanton (Ohio), Bates (Missouri), Speed (Kentucky), Blair (Kentucky/Maryland?), Dennison (Ohio), Welles (Connecticut), and Smith

If from Vermont, was it Stephen A. Douglas?

Never mind--not the same name as a Lincoln cabinet member....

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 04-08-2013 03:59 PM

Hint #3 - The recipient of this item had the same first name as a close friend and sometime theater companion of Lincoln.

Hint # 3.5 - Now that I think of it, I may be mistaken about the theater visits. This man was a friend, but could also be a thorn in Lincoln's side. He shared the same first name of the recipent. Lincoln also stated he had plans to extend to him an invitation to accept a political appointment.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 04-08-2013 07:13 PM

The item was a gold stud (for securing a collar?) with diamond chips forming a "B" - The first initial of the former owners last name - Brown. John Brown. It was presented to Lincoln who gave the stud to Horace Greeley, a politician from Vermont who went on to become an official in Wisconsin. Here's a picture of it.

[Image: 8_61.jpg]

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 04-08-2013 07:21 PM

Do I get half a point for thinking of John Brown at least? That is a very handsome shirt stud. I wonder if some of his financial backers such as Mr & Mrs. Julia Ward Howe or Edwin Booth presented him with it?