Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 02-10-2013 06:59 PM

Woman?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 02-10-2013 07:28 PM

A+, Roger, for such a speedy and correct answer. Now I want someone to tell me when and on what occasion he was prompted to say this. This is for information only, not a contest....

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 02-11-2013 10:13 AM

Laurie, as far as I know, this story is undocumented. I believe the only place I've seen the story is in the preface to Carl Sandburg's Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years:

"The Mayor of Galesburg in 1858, Henry Sanderson, is the only individual of casual record who carried warm cistern water to a bathtub for Lincoln and saw Lincoln taking a bath. There in Galesburg Clark E. Carr, author of "The Illini," repeated Bill Green's remark about Lincoln, "He can make a cat laugh." And there Lincoln when bantered about his backwardness with women, answered, "A woman is the only thing I am afraid of that I know will not hurt me."

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Laurie Verge - 02-11-2013 05:35 PM

What was Mary Lincoln's favorite color?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 02-11-2013 06:26 PM

Purple?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 02-11-2013 08:07 PM

You're right! How did you know this so fast??? I just learned it yesterday from someone in the White House Historical Association! She commented on Mary frustrating the people who were decorating the White House. They were trying to revive the Red Room, Green Room, etc.; and she kept putting in anything she could find that was PURPLE! It threw off the color schemes.

I am trying to get this speaker for the Surratt September banquet to talk on Mr. Lincoln's White House and neighborhood since Lafayette Park was his backyard.

P.S., Joe - You must really be boning up on Lincoln trivia getting ready for your next Stump the Yankee.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 02-11-2013 08:13 PM

When I cheat, I readily admit it, so that little tidbit must have been lodged in my subconscious somewhere. I haven't really had time to bone up on trivia lately, but the next one I come up with be sure to draw some Rebel blood...........

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 02-11-2013 08:19 PM

Oh no! Blood shed on Roger's forum. We can't let that happen. Let's band together fellow Rebels to stop the Yankee in his tracks.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 02-11-2013 08:43 PM

It's coming, She Rebel. Fold up some gunny sacks and stuff 'em in the backside of your hoop skirt. Now where did I put that carpetbag?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 02-11-2013 08:46 PM

As a Southern lady, I prefer cotton batting. It is much gentler on my fair skin.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - LincolnMan - 02-11-2013 08:49 PM

Well, Laurie that is a good one. i'm going to take a stab at it: Woman?

Sorry, Laurie-I didn't see the previous answer. At least I got it right ("woman")

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Gene C - 02-11-2013 11:26 PM

(02-11-2013 08:46 PM)L Verge Wrote:  As a Southern lady, I prefer cotton batting. It is much gentler on my fair skin.

As a transplanted yankee, I like the wsanto method...potholders Smile

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Thomas Thorne - 02-12-2013 02:17 AM

In what Lincoln sound movie did Ann Rutledge's fiance once address her as "Mary"?

I did not believe my ears and played the scene again. Either none of the filmmakers caught the error or thought it was worth even the minor expense of re-dubbing the dialogue.
Tom

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 02-12-2013 05:48 AM

Because you said "sound movie" and it didn't look like a very big budget film, I'm going to say "Abe Lincoln in Illinois".

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Thomas Thorne - 02-12-2013 07:41 AM

Correct

According to "Abe Lincoln in Illinois" John Brown's attack on Harper's Ferry took place before the Lincoln-Douglas debates. In addition both the Douglas 1858 senatorial campaign and the 1860 Lincoln presidential campaign sing "The Battle Cry of Freedom" which was not written until 1862.
Tom